Mike Gillis' future

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mike Gillis' future

Gillis should and will be back next year
41%
Gillis shouldnt be back next year but he will be
18%
Gillis should be back but wont be
No votes
Gillis shouldnt and wont be back next year
41%

Total votes: 22

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Mike Gillis' future

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Process has lost it's shine, the lie is over, Gillis has been exposed. Only a handful of Gillis loyalists left. The blind leading the blind, oh how the mighty have fallen
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Who do you think should replace him, RD?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote:Who do you think should replace him, RD?
Ray Ferraro

BC boy
Italian
Married to an Italian
Always gets mad at David Pratt

What's not to like
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Lancer wrote: The question is: Who could replace him who could do a better job, given the owner and the field of candidates?
I nominate RD.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Strangelove wrote:The vast majority here were very happy with Gillis until two months ago.

Basically folks are turning on him because the team has been sucking... FOR TWO MONTHS!!!
Yep. I am on the fence wether it can be turned around or not, but Gillis is not the problem here. The players are. WE CANT SCORE GOALS. You sign your top guys to top contracts and expect them to perform. SMFH at people thinking Kesler should actually been dealt yesterday. He is the only Canucks forward that is performing up to expectations. If anything, Gillis should be blowing Kesler for salvaging any kind of season. 1-8-1 in their last 10 and only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Obviously something went right at some point in the season.

I am not saying it is all sunshine and lollipops in Canuck Land but man I am ever sick of all the complaining about the team. It is very very difficult to be competitive year in and year out like the Canucks have managed to be the last 5-6 years since Gilllis came in. Yeah, he was handed a sweet team by Nonis, I know, but he kept the core together and had relative success.

My biggest complaint about Gillis is all the NTC's and NMC's. He has handcuffed himself badly with those. I never agreed with some of them from the start. I think they should be reserved for elite, franchise players, or players over 35.

I still believe. Fuck it. We can make playoffs.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Here's a couple of points I haven't seen yet from all the pee pee wringers ....or ever from the resident troll

Faced with a team that owned the league statistically for nearly five years, gillis consistently signed and resigned core players and free agents to cap friendly deals. He was able to negotiate home town discounts all over this line up. He sold his players on a vision to win the Stanley cup and they got to within a game of winning it all... Two harts, a selke, two president's cups ... I suppose Gillis could have cut bait after going into 2012. But that team got fucked over with injuries and officiating in 2011 and they deserved another shot in 2012. They fell way short in 2012 and the writing was on the wall... We all could see it even Gillis, but a little thing called the lockout came along and no GM could or would do anything to change their Lineups.

The shortened season was a sprint with the same teams pretty much across the board and obviously the shrinking cap... Gillis was handcuffed.

This year is the first year he has the need to change and the ability to change and holy shit change is what we are getting...

Bottom line, the core has aged past their prime as it was set up. And changes are being made, but trading Kesler because the team is nosediving in the standings is not going to return the players we need as Glis would be bargaining from a weak position.

Better to keep Kesler and look for free agents to bolster the team in the short term and get those youngsters in Utica in here pronto ...

Getting in a new GM is not going to do anything to change the fact that this team was not going to win the Stanley cup as it sits.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:Yep. I am on the fence wether it can be turned around or not, but Gillis is not the problem here. The players are. WE CANT SCORE GOALS. You sign your top guys to top contracts and expect them to perform.
Watching the games, you have to wonder if this is on the players or on the coaching and system. I don't think it's 100% blame on either side. The Sedins have got to change their game around, or just bloody shoot and execute while Burrows has to get back on track.

But you look at what they're doing in the offensive zone and it's just not working and a big part of that has to be on the coaches. If Sullivan is in charge of the PP, time for him to go. I know Torts loves the guy and is loyal as anything to him, but either he goes or they both go. I'm not a fan of the style of offense Tortorella preaches - throw pucks at the net and fight for rebounds... and that's it. It appears that the roster isn't a fan of it either. Just look at them on the ice - it seems they're quite content to just throw the puck into the offensive zone in the hopes of getting lucky to get the puck back and throw a shot into the goalie's crest or pads while they're backing up into the neutral zone.

Either that or the roster just doesn't have the attributes necessary (big, strong, fast, mean, have quick hands) to execute this philosophy. That said, Gillis has become a convert so there's no point changing tactics now to suit the roster. The roster must change to suit the tactics. If you're going to change the roster, you have to have an eye for maximum return and getting younger in the bargain.

The only thing I'll pin on Gillis is signing the twins to those contracts last fall. Even then, he can be forgiven because the twins were producing at the time and looked to be somewhere close to the players they were three years ago. How was he to know that they were going to shut'er down and give up once the going got rough? Now they're untradeable and, frankly, unwatchable. Daniel's done, so can someone shut down Henrik's season as well before we're subjected to more pathetic disappointment from him? But we're stuck with them until retirement.

IMHO, if Gillis wants to keep his job he needs to change both the roster and the coaching staff, along with the playing philosophy and system. For all those carping about people shitting on the team after only two months of pathetic play, the signs were there from the beginning of the season - the high shot totals coupled with the low scoring percentages, the lack of quality scoring chances, etc. The team burned itself out, the averages caught up with them and in the new year the engine blew. Unless the roster or the style of play change, we can only expect the same result - a banged-up team with no confidence and out of the playoffs.

We'll see if Gillis is still around this summer to make those changes.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Do you guys really think Canucks Sports and Entertainment is going to be on board with firing and then paying John Tortorella and his coaching staff for another four years? I don't think so.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Sedins have been playing the same way since they were kids. And we expect them to change their ways at 34?

Is it good return on the money Gillis convinced Aquilini to resign the Sedins at this age to a massive contract and all of a sudden hire a coach who demands them to change their game now to throwing the pucks at the net and shot blocking? LMAO. Good fucking luck. Ands what do we have now the worst fucking point production by The Sedins since their rookie years.

AV adapted his coaching to allow the Sedins succeed. It's time for that clown Torterella to stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole and let the Sedins at their game

We are 28th in the league for goals for
28th in the league on the PP
Lost 10 of our last 11 games
Scored 8 goals in our last 8 games
It ain't fucking working
Fire the asshole who hired this coach
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote:
IMHO, if Gillis wants to keep his job he needs to change both the roster and the coaching staff, along with the playing philosophy and system. For all those carping about people shitting on the team after only two months of pathetic play, the signs were there from the beginning of the season - the high shot totals coupled with the low scoring percentages, the lack of quality scoring chances, etc. The team burned itself out, the averages caught up with them and in the new year the engine blew. Unless the roster or the style of play change, we can only expect the same result - a banged-up team with no confidence and out of the playoffs.

We'll see if Gillis is still around this summer to make those changes.
I think changing the coaching staff would also mean changing the GM. Gillis gave Torts a contract and I can't see Aquaman being OK with paying out the remainder of yet another coach's salary. Especially when, IMO, it is not the coach, it is some of the players.

I really like that you point to the high shot totals with low scoring percentages. I've been pointing to this since the middle of the 2011 final where the Bruins kept everyone to the outside and while many of our shots were being turned aside by Thomas, he was giving up JUICY rebounds but there was never anyone there to get the puck. On the PP when we would get a shot through from the point We would have two guys up high, a Sedin on the half-boards, and a Sedin in the corner. It was a 1-on-3 battle for the rebound most times for the lone Canuck in front of the net. I initially blamed this on Vigneault because anyone with eyes to see could have looked at the Tampa/Boston series from the previous round and noticed how they lit the Bruins up with quick puck movement and exposing Thomas for his over-aggressive style of play. Now, I think it was as much the players as the coach. Even now we watch our PP and see Kes on his off wing for the one-timer.....he's trying to slide back door for the cross-seam pass, but it rarely comes. The Sedins can't adjust or adapt. It's like they are totally incapable of playing anyway but around the outside with little trick passes here and there. I honestly feel that they are done as top forwards. The book is out on them and they are through. So yes, personnel changes are needed, but I don't think it is behind the bench just yet.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote:I can't see Aquaman being OK with paying out the remainder of yet another coach's salary.
The Canucks haven't paid any of AV's salary since he was hired by the New York Rangers.

Crawford was hired by the Kings within about a month so we didn't have his contract on the books either.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:
I think changing the coaching staff would also mean changing the GM. Gillis gave Torts a contract and I can't see Aquaman being OK with paying out the remainder of yet another coach's salary. Especially when, IMO, it is not the coach, it is some of the players.
Aquaman give Torts the contract. Mike wanted John Stevens.