A Rudderless Ship

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Post by mathonwy »

black ace wrote:
Luongo and Kesler openly talk about how Kesler is being shopped which means he obviously wont get traded. Basically saying the GM wont be able to pull it off. He cant.

Yeah thats a pretty average week...
HAHAHAH.... I didn't even think about that.

Luo questioned MG's manhood and MG couldn't deliver.

Oh I bet Luo's smiling right now..... get to go to Florida (home) and not having to to deal with the fucked up Canuck organization for the rest of his life.

Envy! :mrgreen:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

mathonwy wrote:http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/03/05 ... -deadline/

Mooney shares my opinion. Give it a read.
Good for you and Mooney. They couldn't move Roberto for twenty months now an agent gets all the credit for spearheading the deal. Yeah right.... this thing has been in the works for a little while.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I thnk MacKenzie had it right. This trade was all about the Heritage Classic. And let's face it, most of us here were like WTF, why is Lack starting. Most people were dumbfounded, pundits too, with the slap n the face to Luongo. OK, so it was a Torts decision, but wait, we seen this before when AV was pressured to start CS. The Canucks wanted to find out what they had in CS.

MG keeps saying they are one big group think. Well, then it's not just the coaches decision. No question to me MG has not been forthcoming and has been blowing smoke over this one.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:
black ace wrote:
Luongo and Kesler openly talk about how Kesler is being shopped which means he obviously wont get traded. Basically saying the GM wont be able to pull it off. He cant.

Yeah thats a pretty average week...
HAHAHAH.... I didn't even think about that.

Luo questioned MG's manhood and MG couldn't deliver.

Oh I bet Luo's smiling right now..... get to go to Florida (home) and not having to to deal with the fucked up Canuck organization for the rest of his life.

Envy! :mrgreen:
When asked today if he felt he would play out the remaining 8 years in his deal, Luongo said there is a better chance today that he does than last week!
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Ya, you guys are right. Gillis should have traded Kesler for Sutter and a 1st and 2nd rd pick.

Teams weren't willing to pay the price to get Kesler, I'd much rather Gillis hold on to him that take that package. Think about that for a second. The BEST package Gillis was offered was a 3rd line center and basically a 2nd and 4th rd pick. It takes two GM's to make a deal. Are you guys suggesting that the reason teams aren't willing to pay more is because Gillis is the GM?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

mathonwy wrote:

Same question for the Coho trade. Why did Gillis trade Coho for Kassian at the deadline? After investing three quarters of a season in Coho, Gillis deals him for Gassian who knows nothing about the Canuck systems and is a project player as well.

The true answer I believe is because the relationship between Chris Hodgson and Mike Gillis got fucked up. This is not about trading Coho. This is about trading Coho for Kassian at the trade deadline when it didn't need to happen. Kassian was just another prospect that point of time and to my knowledge, he wasn't being coveted by a tonne of teams. The correct decision would have been to hold onto Coho and do a trade at the draft. 10 bucks says that Kassian would still be available. As well, you have every single other GM at that event plus all of the draftees.
How do you know if Kassian was coveted or not ? I'd have to say he was considering he was drafted less than three seasons before in the 1st round. He had 26 points in 30 games in the AHL and had a cup of coffee with Buffalo at the age of 20. 6 ft 3 220 tough and with good hands ..... yeah he wouldn't have been coveted at all. :roll:

Cody Hodgson is a 5ft 10 center with great hands, no speed, can't win a faceoff or play defence and tops out as a # 2 center on a weak team. Add in the fact he looked horrid on the wing when he played there and I am baffled at how much love he gets. The guy racked up numbers playing on the #1 line on a shit team playing 20 min per game with shitloads of pp time. Zack Kassian gets 13 min a game no pp and gets saddled with scrubs for linemates. I wonder if he and Milan Lucic switched linemates and average icetime for a year how their numbers would end up.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

$lacker wrote:Ya, you guys are right. Gillis should have traded Kesler for Sutter and a 1st and 2nd rd pick.

Teams weren't willing to pay the price to get Kesler, I'd much rather Gillis hold on to him that take that package. Think about that for a second. The BEST package Gillis was offered was a 3rd line center and basically a 2nd and 4th rd pick. It takes two GM's to make a deal. Are you guys suggesting that the reason teams aren't willing to pay more is because Gillis is the GM?
I totally agree. If the Pens had offered Bennet, Pouliot and a 1st I say move him. The pkg that was offered was garbage. Gillis( or the wops) were right to not take the deal.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Add in the fact that Aquilini flew to Luo's house in Florida last year right before the Schneider trade to tell him that he was they guy going forward then 2/3 of the way through the season....

Just doesnt make sense.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
mathonwy wrote:http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/03/05 ... -deadline/

Mooney shares my opinion. Give it a read.
Good for you and Mooney. They couldn't move Roberto for twenty months now an agent gets all the credit for spearheading the deal. Yeah right.... this thing has been in the works for a little while.
Blobby...

Bring something more substantial other than a blanket denial statement followed up by a statement of supposed fact.

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/9611 ... to-luongo/

That doesn't sound like a GM that's been working on a deal that's been in the works for a little while. Then saying Matthias was a "critical" part of the deal? Matthias isn't critical anything. He's a 26 year old big body player with a career high goal total of 14.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/04 ... 99245.html
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

In his presser today Lou was asked if he was willing to take on a mentoring role for young goalies. He was in the middle of answering that question, saying all the right things,when he looked at Tallon and asked, We don't have any young goalie prospects do we? And then laughed.

I think that for a variety if reasons, rightly or wrongly, two successive coaches began to prefer two successive young goalies over Lou. Torts made that clear. Lou wasn't gonna deal with it again. Now he has the net and Florida has no one in the system. He should be ok for a while now.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Same question for the Coho trade. Why did Gillis trade Coho for Kassian at the deadline? After investing three quarters of a season in Coho, Gillis deals him for Gassian who knows nothing about the Canuck systems and is a project player as well.

The true answer I believe is because the relationship between Chris Hodgson and Mike Gillis got fucked up. This is not about trading Coho. This is about trading Coho for Kassian at the trade deadline when it didn't need to happen. Kassian was just another prospect that point of time and to my knowledge, he wasn't being coveted by a tonne of teams. The correct decision would have been to hold onto Coho and do a trade at the draft. 10 bucks says that Kassian would still be available. As well, you have every single other GM at that event plus all of the draftees.
How do you know if Kassian was coveted or not ? I'd have to say he was considering he was drafted less than three seasons before in the 1st round. He had 26 points in 30 games in the AHL and had a cup of coffee with Buffalo at the age of 20. 6 ft 3 220 tough and with good hands ..... yeah he wouldn't have been coveted at all. :roll:

Cody Hodgson is a 5ft 10 center with great hands, no speed, can't win a faceoff or play defence and tops out as a # 2 center on a weak team. Add in the fact he looked horrid on the wing when he played there and I am baffled at how much love he gets. The guy racked up numbers playing on the #1 line on a shit team playing 20 min per game with shitloads of pp time. Zack Kassian gets 13 min a game no pp and gets saddled with scrubs for linemates. I wonder if he and Milan Lucic switched linemates and average icetime for a year how their numbers would end up.
Blobby, same comment for Mëds goes the same for you. Stop defending the trade as I'm not criticizing it specifically nor do I want to get into a discussion over which is the better player.

I'm questioning Mike Gillis's competency as a GM and his seemingly knee jerk reaction trades.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes you're right it was all Pat Brisson. :lol: :lol: :lol: Couldn't have had anything to do with new ownership in FLA or the fact that Elliotte broke the story that Luongo was being shopped BEFORE the "Heritage Garbage Idea" . You and Harrison make a good team.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis and his band of merry men talk the talk but strip it down to the frame he is a man without a plan. One of the sloppiest GM's this once respectable franchise has ever had. Yes, it's a rudderless ship alright

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for the loyal Gillis CC'ers here who drink his koolaid

RD in da haus
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mathonwy you cried like a baby for a year after the trade. it was painful to read. It was as bad as SC and the Ballard trade but at least he was right. Who cares about the timing of the trade ? By bringing that up you make it sound like Cody would have helped the Canucks against the Kings.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Gillis and his band if merry men talk the talk but strip it down to the frame he is a man without a plan. One of the sloppiest GM's this once respectable franchise has ever had. Yes, it's a rudderless ship alright

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for this loyal Gillis CC'ers who drank his koolaid

RD in da haus

great contribution. You are the Alex Burrows of the board.