A Rudderless Ship

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: A Rudderless Ship

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:WTF is going on in the media right now?

Gillis doesn't trade Kesler and Edler and all over the web all I'm reading about is how Gillis "blew it". Teams low ball Gillis with third liners and draft picks and Gillis is vilified for not moving two of our most talented players...give me a freaking break.
I'm starting to think that Edler's stock is just plummeting right now.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:I'm starting to think that Edler's stock is just plummeting right now.
Trading Edler now would certainly be a 'selling low' situation. The whole team is playing like absolute shit right now (in the brief stretches of games I've watched...haven't been watching much since the Olympics TBH) which makes it very difficult to evaluate individual players.

I'd rather keep him around and find somebody to hold his hand on his right side.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:
Mëds wrote:I'm starting to think that Edler's stock is just plummeting right now.
Trading Edler now would certainly be a 'selling low' situation. The whole team is playing like absolute shit right now (in the brief stretches of games I've watched...haven't been watching much since the Olympics TBH) which makes it very difficult to evaluate individual players.

I'd rather keep him around and find somebody to hold his hand on his right side.
His play has completely dropped off. He can't handle the puck. Can't make a decent read. Gets beat on a regular basis (or so it seems now). I can't remember the last time he threw a big hit.

I would rather replace him and not have a $5M defenseman who needs somebody to hold his hand.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The media expended a lot of time and effort in concocting those rumours, when they didn't force the GM to make their fantasies come true, the GM must have been wrong.

Never their concocted rumours......
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:The media expended a lot of time and effort in concocting those rumours, when they didn't force the GM to make their fantasies come true, the GM must have been wrong.

Never their concocted rumours......
I believe the official CRTC term is CanCocked 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Rumors in Boston are that Edler was going to be a Bruin but it didnt happen because Kesler never went to Pits. Maybe Edler was only going if Gillis was going to "rebuild". Instead we are getting a "push for the playoffs".

Say what you want about rumors but it seems like there are more rumors questioning Canuck management than any other team.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Spock
CC Veteran

Post by Spock »

So Gillis couldnt get any solid return on players? Or wasn't looking to move folks? If he wasn't looking to rebuild, then why not try and improve the team so it could win now?

Other GMs somehow found a way to do one or the other.....
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one."

Spock of Vulcan
Stardate 2476.8
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Torts or gillis or both...what say you Spock?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Spock wrote:So Gillis couldnt get any solid return on players? Or wasn't looking to move folks? If he wasn't looking to rebuild, then why not try and improve the team so it could win now?

Other GMs somehow found a way to do one or the other.....
My guess is that Gillis was trying to move Kesler and Edler, but couldn't get the return that he wanted.

If the rumors are correct, Pittsburgh tried to low balls Gillis with a ridiculous 'Brandon Sutter and a few buckets of Kentucky Fried Horseshit' for Kesler.

Would you have preferred Gills to trade core players at below market value? That seems to be what you're suggesting here Spock, with all due respect.

Perhaps Gillis is waiting to see as to which teams get upset in the first round.....and will then make an appropriate deal on Draft Day.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I truly believe that if Gillis makes a solid 'hockey deal' with Kesler (as opposed to dumping him for picks, or trading him below market value), then this "rudderless ship" may not be as rudderless as you think.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya my take is that Boston and the Canucks had a deal in place involving Edler contingent upon the Canucks trading Kesler for the pieces they needed. Boston said as much today, without naming players. Also said it was a deal they will revisit when the season is over.

Chicago is a team I think that will step up and trade for Kesler in the off season as they will be able to make cap room then.

I certainly think if MG got what he needed for Kesler both deals would have been done. I suppose just trading Edler would have made us much less competitive at this time while they were still hopeful we could squeak into the playoffs this year. I wonder if last night made then wish they had pulled the trigger?

But here is food for thought. It sounds like the teams showing the most interest in Kesler and Edler are contenders. Only one of them can win the cup. The others may be a little bit more motivated in the off season.

Gotta spin the positive :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Assuming we trade Kesler, where do we find out first line centre?

Wouldn't it be much, much easier to land one or two good wingers? We should have the cap room for this, so I really don't see the rush to get rid of Kesler unless its for a proven 1C. Even so, what's the point?

Is it just me or is everyone trade crazy around here? Sure, Edler can go along with some other parts - but Kesler? Our Selke winning, goal scoring soon to be our number one center?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cornuck wrote:Assuming we trade Kesler, where do we find out first line centre?

Wouldn't it be much, much easier to land one or two good wingers? We should have the cap room for this, so I really don't see the rush to get rid of Kesler unless its for a proven 1C. Even so, what's the point?

Is it just me or is everyone trade crazy around here? Sure, Edler can go along with some other parts - but Kesler? Our Selke winning, goal scoring soon to be our number one center?
Well I think he wasn't traded because we couldn't get a centre back, to back up Hank who will still be the number one for a while yet :mrgreen: but nice try.

It's so hard to know the truth in all of this. But it has been hashed and rehashed to death, all the reasons why and under what circumstances, trading Kesler makes sense.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

We've been saying this for daze, eh Corn...... deaf ears.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

I'll give this a shot since I fall under the 'pro trade Kesler' crowd.
It will be impossible to trade Kesler for a young established 1st line center. Period.

If the Canucks want to acquire a center that is capable of taking over the reigns from Henrik, then they'll need to try and trade for a guy that can possibly develop into that role over time. (i.e. a Sean Coutrier, or a Brayden Schenn, etc.).
Having a #1 center that can realistically take over the reigns from Henrik one day, and be a vital piece to our NEXT core, should be the Canucks' number 1 priority. As far as good wingers go, we already have guys like Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kassian, etc. in the system. If the Canucks can land a center that can be elite in the future, then said elite center can help make our 'good' wingers in Shinkaruk, Jensen, Kassian, etc., become GREAT.

In my opinion, we already have the next Kesler in our line-up with Bo Horvat. Getting the next Henrik should be our #1 priority.

Along with 'getting the next Henrik', I think building and adding pieces to our FUTURE core of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Markstrom, etc., should be our #1A priority. The only guy on our team that can potentially get you those pieces is Ryan Kesler.

Don't get me wrong - I love Kesler and wouldn't mind seeing him stay here, but the truth of the matter is that this core is completely finished............and our biggest priority should be in adding pieces to our next core.

Given what has happened since Sochi, we're not even sure if Kesler really wants to be here long term. Even if he wants to be here NOW, we have no guarantee that he'll resign here in 2 years. If the Canucks are still in rebuild mode, do you think a guy as competitive as Kesler will want to stay here while he's in his prime, or will he want to play for a contender and go for a cup? My guess is that it's the latter.

Even if he does want to stay here, do you really want to be paying a 31 year old center in the neighborhood of $7+ million dollars long term? 31 isn't that old.........but given the way Kesler plays, his body could very well be closer to that of a 35-36 year old than a 31 year (PWF's and more physical two-way players tend to go into decline faster than playmakers, snipers, and softer two-way forwards).
Yes - our Selke winning center. His trade value is at its peak right now. Get what you can to supplement our next core of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Markstrom, Lack, etc.

Teuvo Teravainen from the Blackhawks is a guy I had in mind.
Last edited by The Brown Knight on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You guys really feel Kesler is a top line centre ? I can think of about 20 other centres in the league I would rather have and about 5 or 6 more that are as good as he is. I guess in a 30 team league he is among the top 30 centres so there's that. With that rationale there are also 60 top line wingers too.

I don't believe this team could win a championship with 17 centering their first line. Unless they plan to airlift in a pp qb , two elite wingers, a 2nd line winger and a quality veteran goalie. Oh yeah it all has to fit under a 70 million dollar cap and the GM here has given half the team ntc so there's that. They also have little in the way of quality assets to bring in these players.

Ship him out he would welcome the move and the team can re boot this summer.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”