Luongo to Panthers for Markstrom and Mattias

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Luongo to Panthers for Markstrom and Mattias

Post by Jovocop »

The_Pauser wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Once u ship out Luongo, one thing becomes very apparent. The guy is a walking soap opera. Hes like an NBA player ffs.

Getting markstrom and Matthias is a fleecing by Gillis IMHO.
Yup! Absolutely agree. Now that we have a starting goalie who has a 0.895SVP and a 3.33GAA since the trade our goaltending problems are well behind us. So glad we got rid of that great goalie we had...how else could we tank?
Com'on give the kid a break. Lack is not used to being the No.1. He will be fine once he adjusts his mind set.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

The_Pauser wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Once u ship out Luongo, one thing becomes very apparent. The guy is a walking soap opera. Hes like an NBA player ffs.

Getting markstrom and Matthias is a fleecing by Gillis IMHO.
Yup! Absolutely agree. Now that we have a starting goalie who has a 0.895SVP and a 3.33GAA since the trade our goaltending problems are well behind us. So glad we got rid of that great goalie we had...how else could we tank?
And how was the team doing with this great goalie you speak of? Strong playoff team right?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Luongo for Markstrom, Matthias, 5 million + a year and a mangina free dressing room...sorry forgot the centrepiece of the trade.

Oh and as others have pointed out, your "elite" goaltender has a propensity to suck ass in the biggest of games...

In other words...that was Gillis making his most lopsided trade yet
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

These guys did a boyz 2 men version too.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Player Team GP GS SA GA GAA Leaders W L OT Sv Sv% SO G A PIM TOI
29 Cory Schneider NJD 38 37 941 81 2.14 14 14 9 860 .914 3 0 0 4 2,273:28
30 Eddie Lack....... VAN 35 31 892 76 2.33 14 14 4 816 .915 4 0 0 0 1,959:43

Just noticed that these guys have comparable stats.
I wonder which one has the higher cap hit... ?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Luongo for Markstrom, Matthias, 5 million + a year and a mangina free dressing room...sorry forgot the centrepiece of the trade.

Oh and as others have pointed out, your "elite" goaltender has a propensity to suck ass in the biggest of games...

His most lopsided trade was Ballard for Grabner,Bernier and a 1st.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

black ace wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Luongo for Markstrom, Matthias, 5 million + a year and a mangina free dressing room...sorry forgot the centrepiece of the trade.

His most lopsided trade was Ballard for Grabner,Bernier and a 1st.
Nope. His most lopsided deal was getting a 50-point d-man for Patrick White (remember him, Nonis?) and Daniel Rahimi (who?).
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Yup we sure showed them. Glad Gillis was able to fleece Florida by dumping Luongo in their laps. We now have the worst goaltending in the league (given up the most goals against in the league since the trade) but hey, we sure showed them. Glad the idiots who were happy about dumping Luongo or who wanted to buy him out got what they wanted. We're back to having subpar goaltending, for real this time.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Goaltending is no worse than it was before and it was never good enough to win a cup . Would much rather pay 2.6 million for average goaltending than 9.3 million .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Goaltending is no worse than it was before and it was never good enough to win a cup . Would much rather pay 2.6 million for average goaltending than 9.3 million .
So we were always letting in the most goals in the league? Or are you just saying that doesn't count because you're in denial? Goaltending sure as hell was good enough for us to win, assuming we had a competent offense which we didn't, but it's more logical to ask more out of a poor offense than it is to ask more out of a goaltender who's terrible at scoring goals.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Goaltending is no worse than it was before and it was never good enough to win a cup . Would much rather pay 2.6 million for average goaltending than 9.3 million .
I'll have to disagree here Blob.

Although I have a lot of confidence that one of Lack or Markstrom will become a superb goalie one day, there's no way you can compare them to Luongo/Schneider right now................by implying that our goaltending NOW is just as efficient as it was from 2006-2013.
Pauser wrote:Goaltending sure as hell was good enough for us to win, assuming we had a competent offense which we didn't, but it's more logical to ask more out of a poor offense than it is to ask more out of a goaltender who's terrible at scoring goals.
Pauser is correct here Blob. Luongo and Schneider certainly had a few "chinks in the armour" so to speak, but they gave us pretty good goaltending for the most part. Our losses in 2011, 2012, and 2013 was largely due to our impotent offense.

Our losses in 2009 and 2010? You might have a point there.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

The_Pauser wrote:Yup we sure showed them. Glad Gillis was able to fleece Florida by dumping Luongo in their laps. We now have the worst goaltending in the league (given up the most goals against in the league since the trade) but hey, we sure showed them. Glad the idiots who were happy about dumping Luongo or who wanted to buy him out got what they wanted. We're back to having subpar goaltending, for real this time.
I see what you're saying, but Lack and Markstrom both have a pretty respectable upside. ESPECIALLY Markstrom.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe at all that one of Lack or Markstrom will develop into a pretty damn good goalie. Certainly better than Cloutier. Perhaps neither will be true superstars as Luongo was in his prime, but I can see atleast one of these guys becoming atleast as good as your Mike Smith's and Jimmy Howard's and what have you.

With the freed up cap space from the Luongo deal, you can then bring in pieces to have a solid team in front of you. Think - Chicago when they won their Stanley Cup with Anti Niemi and Corey Crawford in 2010 and 2013 respectively.

Our next core of Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Lack/Markstrom, etc., might turn a few heads in the not-so-distant future.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The_Pauser wrote: We now have the worst goaltending in the league (given up the most goals against in the league since the trade)
:roll:

Small sample sizes are for small minds.

So then here you go: Old Man Lou is the most injured number one goalie in the league since the trade. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lack has had a respectable season given the curcumstances. He does not yet inspire the confidence I had when Luongo was in net. But then again Luongo didn't inspire that confidence either in his last two seasons. In his early days you knew if it was tied late we would get at least a point. When we had the third period lead it was as good as 2 points. You just felt comfortable, confident, he would get it done. Can anyone honestly say they had that level of confidence in him these past two seasons, regardless of the circumstances or reasons?

Not a knock, I am a huge Lou fan, just saying that my confidence in him was not as high. When CS was playing I felt he could hold the lead, so too did the Canucks obviously. Before the Lou trade I was beginng to feel that way about Lack, but wasn't at the point I wanted him to be the number one. If the goal was to make the playoffs I still feel this season Luongo gave us a better chance than going with Lack as the starter.

But for the future, the trade was smart. Lack got thrown into the fire and has responded well. He has gained some valuable experience and he knows the net is his to lose next year. Markstrom will have a fresh start here next season and it may well just rejuvenate his career. Going forward i suspect we may very well have some growing pains in net but so far I like what I see. But I also see a young duo who will both be fighting for that number one spot, who seem to be good friends and team guys with little ego problems. Best case scenario, in 2-4 years we have a goalie controversy and have to trade one of them. Worse case, we return to that perennial position of having to score 4-5 goals a game to win. I believe in the former. But then I am an apologist. :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need