Luongo to Panthers for Markstrom and Mattias

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Luongo traded to Panthers

Post by $lacker »

dbr wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Gillis looks so bad here.
I see you raced over here.. :lol:

Honestly at first blush I'm pretty pleased with it. I don't have high hopes for Markstrom at all but we sent Lou to his preferred location and got a replacement and a guy who might be able to chip in here in a not-insignificant way over the next few years.

No salary dump coming back which is nice.

So long Roberto, and thanks for all the fish.
Got to love Leaf fans... Last year it was "no one will ever take Luongo, Canucks will have to add for anyone to take that contract." Now we get back a great young 3rd line center and a young goalie with promise and "Gillis looks bad". Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh Mikey?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Luongo to Panthers for Markstron and Mattias

Post by Diehard1 »

Well it's about time - this team needed to remove the drama surrounding them and the number 1 reason is gone. I liked Lu as a player but his baggage was insane, still think it's one of the most selfish things I've ever heard last year when he said 'my contract sucks'. Sure screwed the Canucks with that comment, how do you move a guy who says that?

The return isn't too shabby, Matthias is a serviceable, big 3/4 center which is needed, and Markstrom has a ton of talent but hasn't been able to put it together yet. Perhaps a change of scenery and a new goalie coach will help. Florida isn't exactly known for developing players well.

My guess is that Sutter won't be needed anymore, he's a better player than Matthias but unless Gillis sees him as a 2nd liner I don't see where he fits in. We'll see what this means for a potential Kesler trade soon enough.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

The Sunday afternoon game in 12 days just got a little more interesting
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

$lacker wrote:
dbr wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Gillis looks so bad here.
I see you raced over here.. :lol:

Honestly at first blush I'm pretty pleased with it. I don't have high hopes for Markstrom at all but we sent Lou to his preferred location and got a replacement and a guy who might be able to chip in here in a not-insignificant way over the next few years.

No salary dump coming back which is nice.

So long Roberto, and thanks for all the fish.
Got to love Leaf fans... Last year it was "no one will ever take Luongo, Canucks will have to add for anyone to take that contract." Now we get back a great young 3rd line center and a young goalie with promise and "Gillis looks bad". Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh Mikey?
Leaf fans should focus on their own team. They've paid full market value for every one of their players, no hometown discounts there, and they have some big contracts coming up to re-up as well. They are going to have a really hard time improving their team moving forward and don't have much of anything left in the system - it's much worse than Vancouver's. I'd be more worried about my own team than coming on Canuck message boards if I were a Leaf fan.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

With the new CBA we are lucky to get anything, the hold up all season probably was the salary retention, MG finally budged on that and the deal was done.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

$lacker wrote:Got to love Leaf fans... Last year it was "no one will ever take Luongo, Canucks will have to add for anyone to take that contract." Now we get back a great young 3rd line center and a young goalie with promise and "Gillis looks bad". Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh Mikey?
Great young 3rd line center ???? Thats a bit optimistic.

Markstrom has promise but he has had it for a few years and hasnt lived up to it so far.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote:
My guess is that Sutter won't be needed anymore, he's a better player than Matthias but unless Gillis sees him as a 2nd liner I don't see where he fits in. We'll see what this means for a potential Kesler trade soon enough.
Hell no to the 3rd line center in Sutter!
If Kesler is traded it should be for a younger 2nd line center.
Diehard1 wrote:Well it's about time
:thumbs:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

KeyserSoze wrote:The Sunday afternoon game in 12 days just got a little more interesting
He'll be benched by his new boss too :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Cap hit:
Luongo retires in:
2016 - $1.4 mill
2017 - $1.7 mill
2018 - $2.1 mill
2019 - $2.8 mill
2020 - $4.2 mill
2021 - $8.5 mill

and his cap hit will go until 2021-2022.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

black ace wrote:
$lacker wrote:Got to love Leaf fans... Last year it was "no one will ever take Luongo, Canucks will have to add for anyone to take that contract." Now we get back a great young 3rd line center and a young goalie with promise and "Gillis looks bad". Damned if you do, damned if you don't eh Mikey?
Great young 3rd line center ???? Thats a bit optimistic.

Markstrom has promise but he has had it for a few years and hasnt lived up to it so far.
Well Matthias is an good upgrade over Richardson on the 3rd line, Richardson is the perfect 4th line center...

And Matthias will no doubt in my mind be a LW/C mentor to Horvat next season..

Gillis will indeed want Horvat to develop fast.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

black ace wrote:Cap hit:
Luongo retires in:
2016 - $1.4 mill
2017 - $1.7 mill
2018 - $2.1 mill
2019 - $2.8 mill
2020 - $4.2 mill
2021 - $8.5 mill

So for my slow brain, if he retires in 2021 Canucks get hit with a cap hit of $8.5M but if he retires in 2016 they get hit with a $1.4M cap hit?
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Trade Tendrils...

June 23, 2006
To Vancouver: Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek, and 6th round pick in 2006 Draft (#163 Sergei Shirokov)
To Florida: Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen, Alex Auld

Feb 27, 2007
To Detroit: Todd Bertuzzi
To Florida: Shawn Matthias, 2nd round pick in 2007 (#58 Nick Spaling), and conditional 2nd round pick in 2008 (not exercised)

June 22, 2007
To Florida: Tomas Vokoun
To Nashville: 2nd round pick in 2007 (#58 Nick Spaling) 1st round pick in 2008 (#9 Josh Bailey), and (conditional) 2nd round pick in 2008 (#40 Aaron Ness)

Oct 6, 2008
To Vancouver: Michel Ouellet and Shane O'Brien
To Tampa: Lukas Krajicek and Juraj Simek

Feb 28, 2011
To Florida: Sergei Samsonov
To Carolina: Bryan Allen

March 4, 2014
To Vancouver: Jacob Markstrom and Shawn Matthias
To Florida: Roberto Luongo and Steven Anthony

...weird how Matthias ends up being the "6 degrees of separation" between Luongo and Bertuzzi...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Reefer2 wrote:
black ace wrote:Cap hit:
Luongo retires in:
2016 - $1.4 mill
2017 - $1.7 mill
2018 - $2.1 mill
2019 - $2.8 mill
2020 - $4.2 mill
2021 - $8.5 mill

So for my slow brain, if he retires in 2021 Canucks get hit with a cap hit of $8.5M but if he retires in 2016 they get hit with a $1.4M cap hit?
yes. And the cap hit goes until the end of the 2021-2022 season.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Three things most likely helped grease the deal for Lou: firstly new ownership in Florida: secondly the recent firing of Michael Yormark, long time CEO of the Panthers who apparently had input into team personnel. Serious Florida hockey fans saw him as hindrance to the development of the team. Talon now has complete control and has been joined by Yormark's replacement Rory Babich. Thirdly Florida needs to spend if they want to meet the cap minimum next year given the number of expiring contracts. I suspect this deal has been under discussion since the Olympics, which would explain Lou not playing.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

First, this trade could not have been made last year for several reasons. As for the Panthers, this deal could not be contemplated until new ownership had been approved.

By that time the Canucks had moved on and traded CS. at the start of the year the Canucks had every intention of being a playoff team. They also didn't know what they had in Lack. So Luongo wasn't going anywhere at the start of the year.

Lack plays well, the Canucks feel confident but are still in a playoff hunt. Then the wheels fall off.

When new ownership was announced in Florida I was told there was a strong possibility that Luongo would be moved in the summer. A lot depended upon how the Panthers did this season. But I was told that new ownership in Florida wanted a name player like Luongo to attract season ticket holders. They felt they could build a nice marketing campaign behind his return. Luongo was aware of this possibility.

The teams have had conversations about Luongo, not trade talks. So why now. I think the Canucks know that making the playoffs are a long shot. I think with talks leaking out of Florida that they were trying to re-sign Thomas were meant to send a message. I think if MG wanted Matthias he had to act now as he was going to be traded at the deadline. The so called snub is a red herring. No way MG let's Torts do that if he knows what the fall out will be and he isn't planing to trade Luongo.

I think the timing was the thing.

As to Luongo retiring early, he will play another 4-5 years at least. Now that he is home I can see him fulfilling his contract. If he does retire early it is a problem we will face years from now, no sense getting upset or worried about it now.

As for the return, I'm ok with it. Better the young goalie rather than Thomas, which is what the Panthers originally wanted. Matthias is a good young third line centre and if we can get him re-signed for a good cap hit that will be great.

This trade does not do enough to help us make the playoffs or go deep so I still expect more, if not now in the summer.

Too bad we lost CS but glad we have Horvat. Lack has met all expectations and will only get better. This is not the Cloutier or Potvin era all over again.
The only HW the Canucks need