Under Mike Gillis, has this team become a sideshow?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Given all the circumstances, are Your Vancouver Canucks a sideshow?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 20

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Under Mike Gillis, has this team become a sideshow?

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:(2) whether I beat my wife,
I'm just asking a question, I didn't even lean towards one answer (you've stopped beating your wife) or the other (you continue to beat your wife)...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

$lacker wrote:
mathonwy wrote:This thread smells like ass.
RD hasn't even posted yet...
I don't need to post. The creation of this thread by another member spoke for me and my mission to bring an end to the Process. My rapidly growing support for the oustal of Mr. Fence Sitter - Mike 'Jack Gordon' Gillis here is flattering, my job is near completed. Its been a long haul, I am no longer an Island unto myself, Chef Boi RD is a nation now. Only a few Gillis stragglers left - Doc, Blob, dbr. Swim to the safety of my Island you minions, do not drown in the Process.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

To take a stab at seriously answering your question.. I think that in hindsight we've been watching the denouement of the 2010-11 group for some time now; they had their chance and as things have changed (career "ending" injury to Malhotra, Luongo losing his undisputed #1 tag, Ehrhoff chasing the money and Hodgson chasing the minutes, etc) we've increasingly seen a fair bit of turnover. Some of it has been garden variety stuff and some of it less so; the Hodgson and Schneider exits were both a bit odd but the goaltending situation was pretty unusual.

Really other than that and Torts being Torts I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I also think "sideshow" is a pretty heavy accusation, to me it implies that what occurs on the ice is a secondary consideration, and I don't think that's anywhere close to being the truth. This isn't Tampa Bay under Oren Koules and Len Barrie or anything like that. So I mean it's a little tough to take seriously, and much more entertaining for me personally to have some fun with your who me?, "I'm just asking a question" ploy.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sideshow?!? Buckle up ladies & germs, we're heading towards full on gongshow!

* The complete disintegration of the top line's super powers
* the Kesler fiasco
* Lu being benched for the Winter classic after Lack wasn't exactly stellar in the last start (ie here we go again!)
* the Torts meltdown vs the Burkey Bunch

Why do I get the feeling we're just getting warmed up here?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'd classify what's going down as the main event.

The Lu snub for the outdoor game is a bit if a head scratcher. What could be the reason?

A hot Eddy? He lost his last start, yes he played well but the win and you're in theory can't apply

Punishing Lu for the Kesler joke? No way

Trade imminent? Possible

Jerk off coach thinking he's pushing buttons? Probable in my opinion

I personally have already had enough of Torts. That bullshit against the flames was enough to be honest
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I found a new General Manager for our Canucks...NORM MACIVER...

Assistant GM over on the successful Blackhawks squad..

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47159
Norm Maciver is in his seventh season with the Chicago Blackhawks and his second as Assistant General Manager. A veteran with more than 20 years of pro hockey experience as an NHL player and coach, Maciver previously served as Director of Player Personnel for a season and as Director of Player Development for three seasons.

Prior to joining the organization, the Thunder Bay, Ontario, native served as an Assistant Coach with the Boston Bruins (2003-06) and the American Hockey League’s Springfield Falcons (2000-03).

Following a decorated collegiate career at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, where he was a two-time All-American and a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, Maciver spent 12 seasons as a defenseman in the National Hockey League. He registered 285 points (55G, 230A), in 500 career regular-season tilts with stops in New York, Hartford, Edmonton, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg and Phoenix, and posted 14 points (3G, 11A) and a +10 plus/minus rating in 56 Stanley Cup Playoff tilts. Maciver was given the AHL’s Eddie Shore Award as the league’s best defenseman in 1991 and won the International Hockey League’s Turner Cup with the Houston Aeros in 1999.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

At the end of the day, I like this core group. They all like playing here, good chemistry, good guys. I feel like the guys - the core guys, were destined to win the cup but it all boils down to this, the group needed help, not a lot, but they did and the man that was supposed to figure that out is nobody other than Mike Gillis. Too many fuck ups - Booth, Ballard, Luongo fiasco, should've kept Salo, maybe should have turned the Schneider asset into a player who could help now, either way you paint it - Gillis hung this great core group of guys out to dry. He did not make the right adjustments post 2011. The signs of something not right was after that infamous Boston game where scoring and the PP became a problem.

Gillis needs to stand up and accept blame for this , piss poor drafting at 6 draft tables and shitty fucking trades that were if no benefit to this great core group of guys. A real shame

But hey, carry on with the Gillis love in. I'm just urinating
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

I think sideshow is probably too strong but he doesnt seem able to deal well with issues that pop up like Hodgson (ripped him on the way out of town) Lou vs Cory (waited way too long to deal with it) the Heritage Classic (way under advertised, poor promotion) Kesler (if he sisnt being traded come out and say it) and now Lou vs Lack.

Im not sure if its because he doesnt really like talking to the media or if he puts too much responsibility on other people but for some reason these issues keep coming up.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

black ace wrote:I think sideshow is probably too strong but he doesnt seem able to deal well with issues that pop up like Hodgson (ripped him on the way out of town) Lou vs Cory (waited way too long to deal with it) the Heritage Classic (way under advertised, poor promotion) Kesler (if he sisnt being traded come out and say it) and now Lou vs Lack.

Im not sure if its because he doesnt really like talking to the media or if he puts too much responsibility on other people but for some reason these issues keep coming up.
I sometimes wonder if Vancouver would have had a more successful hockey team consistently throughout the years if not for our local media. I swear we have the most toxic group of sportswriters in Canada when it comes to covering the home team. They prefer to turn sports reporting into full fledged tabloid drama. Regardless of how much money these players make, they are still bound to be distracted by all of this, and a fair chunk of it must seem magnified in their minds after a while.

How many good players have we seen crumble under the continual onslaught of the Province and other major sports news' local correspondents? I think the only key Canuck who never seemed to get dragged through the mud was Trevor Linden.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Mëds wrote:I sometimes wonder if Vancouver would have had a more successful hockey team consistently throughout the years if not for our local media.
Thankfully Mëds, the players are very thick-skinned and tough minded and so I highly doubt that comments or attitude from media will have much of an effect on them.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I'd like to state the reverse. Gillis took over a historically struggling side show team and put them at centre stage, winning two President's trophies and coming within one game of winning the Stanley Cup.

No other GM in the history of the franchise has achieved more.

They're struggling this year, but it's nowhere near as bad as what we've been used to.
We may still make the playoffs. Probably not as a contender, but next year. There's always next year.

I do not think the core is rotten, but we do need to add some vital pieces.
A second line centre.
A bona fide goal scorer.
A power play QB D-man.

To achieve this we may have to give up some of our assetts, like one of our Grade A goalies.
Still. I Think it's completely doable.

Gillis needs to do a couple of Big Trades ahead of next season.
If he doesn't, I may consider joining the lynch mob, but for now I still think the positives under his tenure outweigh the negatives.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:I'd like to state the reverse. Gillis took over a historically struggling side show team and put them at centre stage, winning two President's trophies and coming within one game of winning the Stanley Cup.

No other GM in the history of the franchise has achieved more.

They're struggling this year, but it's nowhere near as bad as what we've been used to.
We may still make the playoffs. Probably not as a contender, but next year. There's always next year.
I do not think the core is rotten, but we do need to add some vital pieces.
A second line centre.
A bona fide goal scorer.
A power play QB D-man.

Did I miss something? Did we trade Kesler? Or do you not think he's a 2nd line center?

Adding a legitimate playmaker would turn Kesler into a goal scorer. The guy had 41 goals while carrying a line and only getting PP time with Hank and Dan. Get him a winger like St. Louis (Moulson maybe?) and Kes will return to 35+ goals for a few more years.

Definitely need a PPQB. Hearing that we are looking hard at Ehrhoff is a good thing.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Kesler could be a second line centre, a third line centre or perhaps even a first line centre, or a winger.
Perhaps I should have said more depth at centre; a second/third centre.

It also seems that Kesler may be a large part of the payment we use to fill those positions.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.