Kesler has requested a trade

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Postby The Brown Knight » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Mondi wrote:If you're the Caps GM, do you look at Kesler and Edler for Ovechkin?

How's that for a bold move? :shock: 8-) :roll:

Ovechkin is the face of Washington's franchise and brings in significant revenue from a marketing standpoint. Washington will never give him up.

Now having said that - I do like the idea of packaging Kesler and Edler, but I'd love for us get a young potential franchise center in return as our center piece. Someone closer to Bo Horvat's age so that they peak and climax together (not trying to sound gay btw).

I also like Arachnid's suggestion from not too long ago (I.e. Trading Kesler and Edler for picks at the draft, letting nature take it's course while the Canucks finish near the bottom of the standings next year, and then possibly drafting Connor McDavid or another potential franchise center in 2015).

Let's face it: As much as we might not like to admit it, most cup winners in the NHL (sans Detroit) had numerous shitty years and then stockpiled on franchise draft picks. Chicago, LA, Boston, and Pittsburgh sucked copious amounts of boner during the early/mid 2000's. Colorado as the Quebec Nordiques were a joke during the 80's and early 90's.

The most consistent teams in the league over the last 20 years (outside of Detroit) have been teams like St. Louis, Philadelphia, and San Jose.........and they have no cups to show for it. Vancouver has probably been one of the most consistent teams over the past 20 years or so as well.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Puck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 am

RD's points about Kesler are valid, but until he's paired with someone more complementary to his style, we don't know if his lone-wolf tendencies are a function of his linemates or himself. Given his success early season with the Sedins and with the US Olympic Team(x2), I'm inclined to think it's the former.

We've all been bemoaning the lack of a strong second line for months (years?), so I'd hope Gillis tries to trade and/or sign someone SIGNIFICANT to pair with Kesler. Yeah, it moves Kesler a little out of that ideal trade-window, but it's worth a shot.
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Well I think that is the bottom line really. Get the players to build a true top six. If you can do that with keeping Kesler you do that. If you can't then you move him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:33 pm

In less than three months we can debate the return for 17 instead of trying to find players to play with him . Unlike Luongo who also didn't want to be here , Kesler will be easy to move .
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Well I think that is the bottom line really. Get the players to build a true top six. If you can do that with keeping Kesler you do that. If you can't then you move him.

Bingo, eventually some players are just going to have to accept they gotta play with their team, too many players nowadays are getting their cake and eating it too.

St. Louis, Luongo all got what they wanted, getting paid millions of dollars under contract and STILL got the city/team they really wanted to go to, almost unfair as they are not UFA's!!

NTC or not, this madness has to end or slow down a tad!

Nostradamus:
I foresee Kane and Kesler taking their talents to Buffalo in the next coupla yrs.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Kesler to #TEAM1040 on future in Van: "I love it here. I've already paid for private school. We're planning on coming back next year"

Kinda happy for that, a healthy one two punch of Hank and RK17 is still a rocking punch, just need our GM or possible future GM to surround them with some scoring talent finally.

:thumbs:
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 pm

@TEAM1040:
Kesler on future in Van: "I've been a Canuck from Day One. Hopefully I can retire as a Canuck, but your dreams don't always pan out"

And then there is this.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Diehard1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:@TEAM1040:
Kesler on future in Van: "I've been a Canuck from Day One. Hopefully I can retire as a Canuck, but your dreams don't always pan out"

And then there is this.

Kes is doing his best to straddle the fence - he knows he's out of here but doesn't want to look like the bad guy. He's gone in the summer and won't be the only change.

Personally I don't mind, haven't liked his game since the deadline at all, he seems to have mailed it in as his effort level has dropped. Not a big fan of players who do that.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:30 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:
Mondi wrote:If you're the Caps GM, do you look at Kesler and Edler for Ovechkin?

How's that for a bold move? :shock: 8-) :roll:

Ovechkin is the face of Washington's franchise and brings in significant revenue from a marketing standpoint. Washington will never give him up.

A 50 goal/85 point player who is a minus-35 is not someone you want to be saddled with at Ovie's price tag. TSN did a segment the other night, apparently Ovechkin has been averaging around 6 minutes of 5-on-5 TOI over the last dozen or so games.....and his +/- keeps plummeting. They really tore him a new one for his defensive play.....or lack thereof rather.

That's not to seem like I'm saying I wouldn't want him on my team, just that he's not someone that I'd sell the farm and gut the core to get.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:@TEAM1040:

And then there is this.

Kes is doing his best to straddle the fence - he knows he's out of here but doesn't want to look like the bad guy. He's gone in the summer and won't be the only change.

Personally I don't mind, haven't liked his game since the deadline at all, he seems to have mailed it in as his effort level has dropped. Not a big fan of players who do that.

Yeah, Kes didn't seem like he was giving his 100% ever since he came back from the Olympics, I know he was fighting some injuries, so I dunno. It'll be interesting to see in the off season if he backs up what he said about wanting to say here. He said he paid the school fees for his kid's private school already, but it's obviously chump change for the money he makes. Gillis should try to re-sign him in the offseason and see where it goes. If it's pretty clear he has no intention in re-signing, then let the Kesler sweepstakes begin. :P
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 pm

^^^
Can't re-sign him until the end of next season. Can only do extensions in the final year of an existing contract. That's what makes this challenging.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:51 am

Hockey Widow wrote:^^^
Can't re-sign him until the end of next season. Can only do extensions in the final year of an existing contract. That's what makes this challenging.

Ah, k. Well at the end of the season, MG can at least have a frank man to man discussion with Kes and see if he really wants to stay here. I'm sure Kes will be straight with MG behind close doors of his true intentions (no media and no need to play up the fans).
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby SKYO » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:35 pm

nhl14 mode, if Buffalo gets the NYI 1st, how about we trade Kesler + our 6th overall pick for 1st overall.

Kesler agrees as he and Patrick Kane(2015 UFA) have the master plan to join his beloved hometown team Buffalo anyways.

hah :eh:
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby Boston Canucker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:04 pm

SKYO wrote:nhl14 mode, if Buffalo gets the NYI 1st, how about we trade Kesler + our 6th overall pick for 1st overall.

Kesler agrees as he and Patrick Kane(2015 UFA) have the master plan to join his beloved hometown team Buffalo anyways.

I don't know that the jump from 6 to 1 this year is worth Kesler, as opposed to say next year if Mcdavid is the real deal.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Meds » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:25 am

Boston Canucker wrote:
SKYO wrote:nhl14 mode, if Buffalo gets the NYI 1st, how about we trade Kesler + our 6th overall pick for 1st overall.

I don't know that the jump from 6 to 1 this year is worth Kesler, as opposed to say next year if Mcdavid is the real deal.

If McDavid is the real deal, and everyone in the hockey world seems to think he is, then whatever team gets the first overall pick next year is definitely NOT going to part with it. If McDavid lives up to the hype he's another Crosby.....you just don't pass up on that.
Meds
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat