Kesler has requested a trade

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Postby CorranHorn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm

What was wrong with Detroit as a trading partner?

Nyquist + + sounds good to me...
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:52 pm

CorranHorn wrote:What was wrong with Detroit as a trading partner?

Considering Nyquist has a better PPG than Kesler this season (.87 PPG vs. .59 PPG), just scored his 24th *edit* 25th goal of the season (best on his team), is only 24 years old, and has a cap hit of 950K for one more season after this one (where he'll only be an RFA), I don't think the Wings will be trading him. If they did, the Canucks would have the + +.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
CorranHorn wrote:What was wrong with Detroit as a trading partner?

Considering Nyquist has a better PPG than Kesler this season (.87 PPG vs. .59 PPG), just scored his 24th *edit* 25th goal of the season (best on his team), is only 24 years old, and has a cap hit of 950K for one more season after this one (where he'll only be an RFA), I don't think the Wings will be trading him. If they did, the Canucks would have the + +.

Yup MG could have had Nyquist in the summer, but he wanted 3 or 4 pieces from Detroit (ie overpayment/overvalue) MG wants overpayment, other GM's offering underpayment like at the deadline (Pens - Sutter, 1st, 2nd garbage offer)

Hence no deal.

I was intrigued by Nyquist since June 30th http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=176339#p176339
And then early December: http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=187746#p187746
:D
And now Nyquist is ripping it up and is untouchable I bet. :cry:

Tatar + Smith would be a decent trade to make, Tatar is not a slick as Nyquist with puck skills, but watching him play he's relentless in trying to create scoring chances, bulldozing with slight finesse to the net to try to score.

I see no point in trying to increase Edler's value down the road, might as well trade him asap by the draft or soon after while GM's know he can still play well, as he just needs a change of scenery.

Tatar can help our 2nd line LW and Smith iirc can play the right side defense and is decent offensively, not only that but our cap space would improve drastically for a while too.
Last edited by SKYO on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Like Luongo, Gillis will trade Kesler long past when he could have maximized on his value or will just keep him and let him walk for nothing

I just don't see Kes signing his last big contract here

If Gillis is smart he trades at the draft. This team needs a change and that's a fine place to start. Just seeing the enthusiasm of Jensen in the lineup and that enthusiasm rubbing off on the team and fans tells me that change is a must
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:29 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Like Luongo, Gillis will trade Kesler long past when he could have maximized on his value or will just keep him and let him walk for nothing

If Gillis is smart he trades at the draft. This team needs a change and that's a fine place to start. Just seeing the enthusiasm of Jensen in the lineup and that enthusiasm rubbing off on the team and fans tells me that change is a must

Agreed. The team just smacks of denial. Refusal to accept their current place in the pecking order, no real desire to change or re-set. While injuries undoubtedly have lowered our output this season, the trend has been curing downward for well over a year. All the interviews have the same responses "embarassing, rock bottom, need to be better", but no change is happening.

I also don't see Kesler re-upping here, especially if we're not a competitive second-round team.

End the drama. Move Kesler and/or Edler at the draft, start next season fresh with new faces in core places on the roster. Moving those two guys could easily net us 4-5 quality pieces in terms of roster players, prospects and/or draft choices.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby SKYO » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:30 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Like Luongo, Gillis will trade Kesler long past when he could have maximized on his value or will just keep him and let him walk for nothing

Yup, I guess whats different with Kesler is apparently he said something like, if you can trade me I'll waive my NTC, (not technically asking for a trade but he's more than willing to move on).

Gillis has always said he wants players to want to play here, it's a challenge, as you gotta be a part of the community yada yada.

Thats what might make MG trading Kesler more likely to happen, I just hope Kesler is more open to any team in the States to waive his NTC to, so MG can get more in return.
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby mathonwy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 pm

SKYO wrote:And now Nyquist is ripping it up and is untouchable I bet. :cry:

Absolutely untouchable.

Nyquist with a couple goals tonight.

Detroit will not be trading anyone to anybody. Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, DeKeyser... these guys have absolutely stepped up with Datsyuk and Z going down with injuries.

Regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not, Detroit is going to be a force next season.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby CorranHorn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:58 pm

LOL

Like a month ago everyone was saying that they didn't have enough to trade with...

Mantha, Nyquist and a 1st was not enough.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:21 pm

None of us know if Detroit offered anything for Edler over the summer. All we have, again, are rumours making MG look bad. Sorta like Luongo. All kinds of rumours about supposed deals MG turned down. Maybe he was offered shit?
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:38 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:Agreed. The team just smacks of denial. Refusal to accept their current place in the pecking order, no real desire to change or re-set. While injuries undoubtedly have lowered our output this season, the trend has been curing downward for well over a year. All the interviews have the same responses "embarassing, rock bottom, need to be better", but no change is happening.

We don't know if this is actually the case however.

I mean - It's not like Gillis or any of the players will come and publically say that we need to rebuild. Can you imagine how much heat they'd get by the media if someone did that?

Perhaps its more a case of being politically correct rather than being in actual denial.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:25 am

The Brown Knight wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Agreed. The team just smacks of denial. Refusal to accept their current place in the pecking order, no real desire to change or re-set. While injuries undoubtedly have lowered our output this season, the trend has been curing downward for well over a year. All the interviews have the same responses "embarassing, rock bottom, need to be better", but no change is happening.

We don't know if this is actually the case however.

I mean - It's not like Gillis or any of the players will come and publically say that we need to rebuild. Can you imagine how much heat they'd get by the media if someone did that?

Perhaps its more a case of being politically correct rather than being in actual denial.

I agree

Topper wrote:
Spock wrote:*Spock gets flashbacks of 1996*

The acid test.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1 - State the plan is to rebuild/retool could get players motivated to play for their jobs, media circus ensues as speculation runs rampant as to who's in and who's out.

Then again, with all the NTC/NMC, the roster has the last say on where they go.

2 - State they are staying the course, ie "we'll look at offers that make sense to us and will get the team better yadda yadda yadda" an story that we have been hearing for years. Media circus ensues that management has lost direction and may be in the Straights of Malacca.

I prefer (2). Shifts media attention off the ice and lets them try to figure things out while managements with their broad shoulders is swatted at by Gollum, Macintire and the rest of the gnats.

When you get right down to it (1) is fully within the realm of (2).

Pass the electric Kool-Aid (as long as it is not purple, I don't drink purple Kool-Aid)
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 am

Kesler is overrated

I'm watching this guy and I keep thinking "where the fuck is the Kesler from 2011 and prior." I think the dude is done here, he just seems so half hearted out there. Lone Wolf McQuade he is. He prefers to work alone on the ice. Really not sure we will hit a homerun return for him either, a decent return but nothing what we might expect.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Meds » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:24 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Kesler is overrated

I'm watching this guy and I keep thinking "where the fuck is the Kesler from 2011 and prior." I think the dude is done here, he just seems so half hearted out there. Lone Wolf McQuade he is. He prefers to work alone on the ice. Really not sure we will hit a homerun return for him either, a decent return but nothing what we might expect.

See RD, this is why you are thought of as a troll.

You rant and throw a guy under the bus after he was the only player to actually score the night before.

And he works alone because he has nobody to work with.

But carry on.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:20 pm

If you're the Caps GM, do you look at Kesler and Edler for Ovechkin?

How's that for a bold move? :shock: 8-) :roll:
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Meds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Kesler is overrated

See RD, this is why you are thought of as a troll.

You rant and throw a guy under the bus after he was the only player to actually score the night before.

And he works alone because he has nobody to work with.

But carry on.

Meds interpretation of a troll - someone who possesses an opinion that he doesn't share so he carelessly and childishly throws at you the classic 'troll' ad hominem to downplay the quality of that opinion to help him sleep at night.

Exactly what is wrong with my opinion of Kesler, Troll Name Dropper?

Do you see me calling you a troll for ripping Edler a new one with every single post you make?

Carry on Meds with your Edler angst
RoyalDude
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat