Kesler has requested a trade

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by CorranHorn »

LOL

Like a month ago everyone was saying that they didn't have enough to trade with...

Mantha, Nyquist and a 1st was not enough.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

None of us know if Detroit offered anything for Edler over the summer. All we have, again, are rumours making MG look bad. Sorta like Luongo. All kinds of rumours about supposed deals MG turned down. Maybe he was offered shit?
The only HW the Canucks need
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Agreed. The team just smacks of denial. Refusal to accept their current place in the pecking order, no real desire to change or re-set. While injuries undoubtedly have lowered our output this season, the trend has been curing downward for well over a year. All the interviews have the same responses "embarassing, rock bottom, need to be better", but no change is happening.
We don't know if this is actually the case however.

I mean - It's not like Gillis or any of the players will come and publically say that we need to rebuild. Can you imagine how much heat they'd get by the media if someone did that?

Perhaps its more a case of being politically correct rather than being in actual denial.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Agreed. The team just smacks of denial. Refusal to accept their current place in the pecking order, no real desire to change or re-set. While injuries undoubtedly have lowered our output this season, the trend has been curing downward for well over a year. All the interviews have the same responses "embarassing, rock bottom, need to be better", but no change is happening.
We don't know if this is actually the case however.

I mean - It's not like Gillis or any of the players will come and publically say that we need to rebuild. Can you imagine how much heat they'd get by the media if someone did that?

Perhaps its more a case of being politically correct rather than being in actual denial.
I agree
Topper wrote:
Spock wrote:*Spock gets flashbacks of 1996*
The acid test.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1 - State the plan is to rebuild/retool could get players motivated to play for their jobs, media circus ensues as speculation runs rampant as to who's in and who's out.

Then again, with all the NTC/NMC, the roster has the last say on where they go.

2 - State they are staying the course, ie "we'll look at offers that make sense to us and will get the team better yadda yadda yadda" an story that we have been hearing for years. Media circus ensues that management has lost direction and may be in the Straights of Malacca.

I prefer (2). Shifts media attention off the ice and lets them try to figure things out while managements with their broad shoulders is swatted at by Gollum, Macintire and the rest of the gnats.

When you get right down to it (1) is fully within the realm of (2).

Pass the electric Kool-Aid (as long as it is not purple, I don't drink purple Kool-Aid)
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kesler is overrated

I'm watching this guy and I keep thinking "where the fuck is the Kesler from 2011 and prior." I think the dude is done here, he just seems so half hearted out there. Lone Wolf McQuade he is. He prefers to work alone on the ice. Really not sure we will hit a homerun return for him either, a decent return but nothing what we might expect.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Kesler is overrated

I'm watching this guy and I keep thinking "where the fuck is the Kesler from 2011 and prior." I think the dude is done here, he just seems so half hearted out there. Lone Wolf McQuade he is. He prefers to work alone on the ice. Really not sure we will hit a homerun return for him either, a decent return but nothing what we might expect.
See RD, this is why you are thought of as a troll.

You rant and throw a guy under the bus after he was the only player to actually score the night before.

And he works alone because he has nobody to work with.

But carry on.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Kesler is overrated

See RD, this is why you are thought of as a troll.

You rant and throw a guy under the bus after he was the only player to actually score the night before.

And he works alone because he has nobody to work with.

But carry on.
Mëds interpretation of a troll - someone who possesses an opinion that he doesn't share so he carelessly and childishly throws at you the classic 'troll' ad hominem to downplay the quality of that opinion to help him sleep at night.

Exactly what is wrong with my opinion of Kesler, Troll Name Dropper?

Do you see me calling you a troll for ripping Edler a new one with every single post you make?

Carry on Mëds with your Edler angst
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Mondi wrote:If you're the Caps GM, do you look at Kesler and Edler for Ovechkin?

How's that for a bold move? :shock: 8-) :roll:
Ovechkin is the face of Washington's franchise and brings in significant revenue from a marketing standpoint. Washington will never give him up.

Now having said that - I do like the idea of packaging Kesler and Edler, but I'd love for us get a young potential franchise center in return as our center piece. Someone closer to Bo Horvat's age so that they peak and climax together (not trying to sound gay btw).

I also like Arachnid's suggestion from not too long ago (I.e. Trading Kesler and Edler for picks at the draft, letting nature take it's course while the Canucks finish near the bottom of the standings next year, and then possibly drafting Connor McDavid or another potential franchise center in 2015).

Let's face it: As much as we might not like to admit it, most cup winners in the NHL (sans Detroit) had numerous shitty years and then stockpiled on franchise draft picks. Chicago, LA, Boston, and Pittsburgh sucked copious amounts of boner during the early/mid 2000's. Colorado as the Quebec Nordiques were a joke during the 80's and early 90's.

The most consistent teams in the league over the last 20 years (outside of Detroit) have been teams like St. Louis, Philadelphia, and San Jose.........and they have no cups to show for it. Vancouver has probably been one of the most consistent teams over the past 20 years or so as well.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

RD's points about Kesler are valid, but until he's paired with someone more complementary to his style, we don't know if his lone-wolf tendencies are a function of his linemates or himself. Given his success early season with the Sedins and with the US Olympic Team(x2), I'm inclined to think it's the former.

We've all been bemoaning the lack of a strong second line for months (years?), so I'd hope Gillis tries to trade and/or sign someone SIGNIFICANT to pair with Kesler. Yeah, it moves Kesler a little out of that ideal trade-window, but it's worth a shot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well I think that is the bottom line really. Get the players to build a true top six. If you can do that with keeping Kesler you do that. If you can't then you move him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

In less than three months we can debate the return for 17 instead of trying to find players to play with him . Unlike Luongo who also didn't want to be here , Kesler will be easy to move .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Well I think that is the bottom line really. Get the players to build a true top six. If you can do that with keeping Kesler you do that. If you can't then you move him.
Bingo, eventually some players are just going to have to accept they gotta play with their team, too many players nowadays are getting their cake and eating it too.

St. Louis, Luongo all got what they wanted, getting paid millions of dollars under contract and STILL got the city/team they really wanted to go to, almost unfair as they are not UFA's!!

NTC or not, this madness has to end or slow down a tad!

Nostradamus:
I foresee Kane and Kesler taking their talents to Buffalo in the next coupla yrs.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Kesler to #TEAM1040 on future in Van: "I love it here. I've already paid for private school. We're planning on coming back next year"
Kinda happy for that, a healthy one two punch of Hank and RK17 is still a rocking punch, just need our GM or possible future GM to surround them with some scoring talent finally.

:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

@TEAM1040:
Kesler on future in Van: "I've been a Canuck from Day One. Hopefully I can retire as a Canuck, but your dreams don't always pan out"

And then there is this.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:@TEAM1040:
Kesler on future in Van: "I've been a Canuck from Day One. Hopefully I can retire as a Canuck, but your dreams don't always pan out"

And then there is this.
Kes is doing his best to straddle the fence - he knows he's out of here but doesn't want to look like the bad guy. He's gone in the summer and won't be the only change.

Personally I don't mind, haven't liked his game since the deadline at all, he seems to have mailed it in as his effort level has dropped. Not a big fan of players who do that.