Kesler has requested a trade

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by The Brown Knight »

RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Id take Shaw over Saad. Patrick Kane the best playmaker in the game has made his line mate Saad look very good. I like Shaws combination if grit and skill. The Finnish Kane, Shaw and a first for Kesler
I am in complete agreement with my Hindu friend Royaldude.
You know it Caped Garam Marsala.
8-)

p.s.__________I don't know about the Mantha deal. Couldn't the Canucks get more from Detroit if they offered Kesler to them? The Chicago deal sounds better to me.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 18754
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If the Penguins drop the ball again in the playoffs, Team USA - Shero/Bylsma will make a serious push for Kesler on draft day as pressure mounts on them to bolster the supporting cast around the aging Crosby and Malkin. Where there's smoke there's fire, I see Kesler in a Pens uniform with Shero finally putting Pouliot on the table
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 18754
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:
p.s.__________I don't know about the Mantha deal. Couldn't the Canucks get more from Detroit if they offered Kesler to them? The Chicago deal sounds better to me.
Depends if they don't make the playoffs Caped Vindaloo Crusader, that 1st pick of theirs might look good. Manthas a beaut. Maybe we could get more.'
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I wouldn't rule Chicago out of this yet.

Pat Kane's (and Toews') deal is up after next season, and brining his Olympic party bud Kesler on board could be the key to getting him to re-up at a decent cap-hit.

If the Blackocks offer Teravainen in a package for Kesler, the Canucks need to seriously consider that offer. Pouliot is a great defensive prospect, but the Canucks are fairly set on the back end for the next 3-4 years. They need some scoring prospects, and if they're dealing Kesler they need to be NHL players almost immediately.

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 18754
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I wouldn't rule Chicago out of this yet.

Pat Kane's (and Toews') deal is up after next season, and brining his Olympic party bud Kesler on board could be the key to getting him to re-up at a decent cap-hit.

If the Blackocks offer Teravainen in a package for Kesler, the Canucks need to seriously consider that offer. Pouliot is a great defensive prospect, but the Canucks are fairly set on the back end for the next 3-4 years. They need some scoring prospects, and if they're dealing Kesler they need to be NHL players almost immediately.
Yes I agree that Chicago has more to offer. I think we could use the skill of Teravainen in the system as seemningly we have to many shut down like prospects. I just think there is some validity of Kesler not wanting to anger the Canuck fan base by him playing for the hated Blachawks due to Keslers business interests in this city. That being said, Kesler strikes me as someone who doesn't care what the fans think. Just gotta hope for an all out bidding war for Keslers services in draft day. Would love to have Shaw and Teravainen here.

Something tells me that Kane signs with his home city the Buffal Sabres when he becomes a UFA. He lives there in the off season. With all the high picks the Sabres have and in the running for those prized kids in the 2015 draft, the Sabres might be looking like a good club with loads oc potential by the time Kane hits the open market.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK

TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by TDA Rum »

Holland already said on deadline day he wouldn't be trading Mantha...
Pittsburgh has Beau Bennett who the Canucks wanted at the draft but Pittsburgh grabbed him before the Canucks picked..

User avatar
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:If the Penguins drop the ball again in the playoffs, Team USA - Shero/Bylsma will make a serious push for Kesler on draft day as pressure mounts on them to bolster the supporting cast around the aging Crosby and Malkin. Where there's smoke there's fire, I see Kesler in a Pens uniform with Shero finally putting Pouliot on the table
If they "drop the ball" again during the playoffs, they should probably be looking for a new goalie.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7732
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:If the Penguins drop the ball again in the playoffs, Team USA - Shero/Bylsma will make a serious push for Kesler on draft day as pressure mounts on them to bolster the supporting cast around the aging Crosby and Malkin. Where there's smoke there's fire, I see Kesler in a Pens uniform with Shero finally putting Pouliot on the table
If they "drop the ball" again during the playoffs, they should probably be looking for a new goalie.
And a stiffer blueline.

There is also the giant question mark named Kris Letang in Pittsburgh these days. He can't play while still on blood thinners, Niskanen has done a pretty nice job of stepping up on the PP, but as with everyone on that team, playing with Crosby can inflate one's numbers.

User avatar
CorranHorn
CC Veteran
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by CorranHorn »

What was wrong with Detroit as a trading partner?

Nyquist + + sounds good to me...

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Island Nucklehead »

CorranHorn wrote:What was wrong with Detroit as a trading partner?

Nyquist + + sounds good to me...
Considering Nyquist has a better PPG than Kesler this season (.87 PPG vs. .59 PPG), just scored his 24th *edit* 25th goal of the season (best on his team), is only 24 years old, and has a cap hit of 950K for one more season after this one (where he'll only be an RFA), I don't think the Wings will be trading him. If they did, the Canucks would have the + +.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11763
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
CorranHorn wrote:What was wrong with Detroit as a trading partner?

Nyquist + + sounds good to me...
Considering Nyquist has a better PPG than Kesler this season (.87 PPG vs. .59 PPG), just scored his 24th *edit* 25th goal of the season (best on his team), is only 24 years old, and has a cap hit of 950K for one more season after this one (where he'll only be an RFA), I don't think the Wings will be trading him. If they did, the Canucks would have the + +.
Yup MG could have had Nyquist in the summer, but he wanted 3 or 4 pieces from Detroit (ie overpayment/overvalue) MG wants overpayment, other GM's offering underpayment like at the deadline (Pens - Sutter, 1st, 2nd garbage offer)

Hence no deal.

I was intrigued by Nyquist since June 30th viewtopic.php?p=176339#p176339
And then early December: viewtopic.php?p=187746#p187746
:D
And now Nyquist is ripping it up and is untouchable I bet. :cry:

Tatar + Smith would be a decent trade to make, Tatar is not a slick as Nyquist with puck skills, but watching him play he's relentless in trying to create scoring chances, bulldozing with slight finesse to the net to try to score.

I see no point in trying to increase Edler's value down the road, might as well trade him asap by the draft or soon after while GM's know he can still play well, as he just needs a change of scenery.

Tatar can help our 2nd line LW and Smith iirc can play the right side defense and is decent offensively, not only that but our cap space would improve drastically for a while too.
Last edited by SKYO on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 18754
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Like Luongo, Gillis will trade Kesler long past when he could have maximized on his value or will just keep him and let him walk for nothing

I just don't see Kes signing his last big contract here

If Gillis is smart he trades at the draft. This team needs a change and that's a fine place to start. Just seeing the enthusiasm of Jensen in the lineup and that enthusiasm rubbing off on the team and fans tells me that change is a must
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Like Luongo, Gillis will trade Kesler long past when he could have maximized on his value or will just keep him and let him walk for nothing

I just don't see Kes signing his last big contract here

If Gillis is smart he trades at the draft. This team needs a change and that's a fine place to start. Just seeing the enthusiasm of Jensen in the lineup and that enthusiasm rubbing off on the team and fans tells me that change is a must
Agreed. The team just smacks of denial. Refusal to accept their current place in the pecking order, no real desire to change or re-set. While injuries undoubtedly have lowered our output this season, the trend has been curing downward for well over a year. All the interviews have the same responses "embarassing, rock bottom, need to be better", but no change is happening.

I also don't see Kesler re-upping here, especially if we're not a competitive second-round team.

End the drama. Move Kesler and/or Edler at the draft, start next season fresh with new faces in core places on the roster. Moving those two guys could easily net us 4-5 quality pieces in terms of roster players, prospects and/or draft choices.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11763
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:Like Luongo, Gillis will trade Kesler long past when he could have maximized on his value or will just keep him and let him walk for nothing

I just don't see Kes signing his last big contract here

If Gillis is smart he trades at the draft. This team needs a change and that's a fine place to start. Just seeing the enthusiasm of Jensen in the lineup and that enthusiasm rubbing off on the team and fans tells me that change is a must
Yup, I guess whats different with Kesler is apparently he said something like, if you can trade me I'll waive my NTC, (not technically asking for a trade but he's more than willing to move on).

Gillis has always said he wants players to want to play here, it's a challenge, as you gotta be a part of the community yada yada.

Thats what might make MG trading Kesler more likely to happen, I just hope Kesler is more open to any team in the States to waive his NTC to, so MG can get more in return.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by mathonwy »

SKYO wrote: And now Nyquist is ripping it up and is untouchable I bet. :cry:
Absolutely untouchable.

Nyquist with a couple goals tonight.

Detroit will not be trading anyone to anybody. Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan, DeKeyser... these guys have absolutely stepped up with Datsyuk and Z going down with injuries.

Regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not, Detroit is going to be a force next season.

Post Reply