Kesler has requested a trade

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Kesler has requested a trade

Post by black ace »

Mëds wrote:Seeing as Kesler won't actually be a "rental" player until 2016, here's a what if scenario that I would be OK with.

IF Gillis is actually not a completely blind moron, and to be fair he's acted to cagey all along to be labeled as such, then maybe he's looking at the 2014 draft over an objective eyebag and, seeing that it isn't a very strong or promising draft, is going to wait until next year to go into full rebuild mode. What if come the 2015 draft Gillis is able to have hung on to Kesler and Edler and makes a deal happen that sends them out in a crazy package that lands the Canucks the first overall pick? That means Connor McDavid.

Because if the Canucks miss the playoffs this year and next year as you suggest then Gillis isint the GM here.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Kesler may move, don't get me wrong, I just don't understand why anyone is willing buy the media's trade predictions when it comes to the Canucks. Their history predicting Gillis deals (especially trades) has been poor to say the least. I don't believe they've ever correctly predicted a player being dealt from the Canucks before it occurred.

If they move Kesler, I'm not sure what it would signify beyond a full rebuild. I guess it depends on the players coming back, but a second line center like Kelser is a player you chase, not one you trade as part of a "mini retool".
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

^ Ding, Ding, Ding
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

All these rumors are fake.

Gillis has already said he wont ask a player to waive a no trade clause and Kesler said he hasnt asked for a trade.

End of story right ?
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:BobMaK/LeBrun tweet hearing Vancouver will listen to offers on anyone not named Sedin.

Writers and bloggers scour the Canuck CapGeek page and see Kesler is a bargain on his current deal.

Writers and bloggers go nuts connecting every rumour they hear or create to Ryan Kesler while reading tea leaves and the way he combs his hair to suggest he wants out of town. Retweet and quote colleagues at will to generate top 40 pop song truth to the story.

Guaranteed clicks on websites to drive advertising and viewership for the hum drum boring all day coverage on draft day.
Exactly, could not of said it better myself.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

BurningBeard wrote: .. a second line center like Kelser is a player you chase, not one you trade as part of a "mini retool".
The Canucks aren't deep enough.

Club talent pool improves by: FA acquisitions; developing prospects; players improving while on the big club.
The GM can help by trading players at their peak for ones that are still improving. By sacrificing some of the present for the future, regardless of position, or the player's name.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

The plot thickens ...

With Hossa out again (stadium game, 3+ wks, injury prone) Chicago's interest in stocking up & preventing rivals from doing the same, looks to have increased.
Multiple league sources have told TFP that the Blackhawks are extremely interested in acquiring Kesler, but they aren't alone. The Pittsburgh Penguins have tabled an offer for Kesler and are also pushing hard to acquire him, while the Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets are also very interested.

TFP has learned that the Canucks' preference is to trade Kesler by the March 5 trade deadline, but if a deal cannot be reached, they will revisit discussions in the summer.

The Canucks are asking for a young NHL-proven forward, a top prospect and a high draft pick in exchange for Kesler.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BurningBeard wrote:Kesler may move, don't get me wrong, I just don't understand why anyone is willing buy the media's trade predictions when it comes to the Canucks. Their history predicting Gillis deals (especially trades) has been poor to say the least. I don't believe they've ever correctly predicted a player being dealt from the Canucks before it occurred.

If they move Kesler, I'm not sure what it would signify beyond a full rebuild. I guess it depends on the players coming back, but a second line center like Kelser is a player you chase, not one you trade as part of a "mini retool".
I'm not sure what to believe to be honest. If Gillis is to be believed then Kesler isn't going anywhere unless Kes has asked to be moved.

I completely agree with you that Kesler isn't a player you trade unless you are completely rebuilding. But even then, if the guy is under contract for 2 more seasons, and if the GM can do some solid rebuilding in that 2 seasons, Kesler is the kind of guy you want to keep as a leader and mentor for the youngsters.....if he's willing to stay at that point.

Now, if Daniel hadn't screwed up his knee, and if the team wasn't almost a lock to miss the playoffs at this point, then I would say Gillis should be seeing what it would take to get Marty St. Louis out of Tampa. A line with Kesler and St. Louis would be a good one.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

sagebrush wrote:
Multiple league sources have told TFP that the Blackhawks are extremely interested in acquiring Kesler, but they aren't alone. The Pittsburgh Penguins have tabled an offer for Kesler and are also pushing hard to acquire him, while the Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers and Columbus Blue Jackets are also very interested.

The Canucks are asking for a young NHL-proven forward, a top prospect and a high draft pick in exchange for Kesler.
-Brandon Saad
-Teuvo Teravainen
-1st rounder

???
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Here's the problem with trading a top player to a contender for a guy like Saad and a prospect and a pick.

How much of Saad's success is because he has been playing with the likes of Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp?

Prospects are no guarantee.

The pick will be late 1st round.
givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

black ace wrote:All these rumors are fake.

Gillis has already said he wont ask a player to waive a no trade clause and Kesler said he hasnt asked for a trade.

End of story right ?
I firmly believe Gillis won't ask a player to waive his NTC.

On the other hand, what's stopping Gillman from doing so.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

BurningBeard wrote: If they move Kesler, I'm not sure what it would signify beyond a full rebuild. I guess it depends on the players coming back, but a second line center like Kelser is a player you chase, not one you trade as part of a "mini retool".
Exactly. Someone with Kesler's ability and contract is something you keep, not give up. Other than an early season hiccup where the twins helped him out of an offensive abyss, he's been the best top 6 forward bar none.

This season is a write-off. MG has to accept that and not make knee-jerk trades to save his own ass.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

BurningBeard wrote:If they move Kesler, I'm not sure what it would signify beyond a full rebuild. I guess it depends on the players coming back, but a second line center like Kelser is a player you chase, not one you trade as part of a "mini retool".
I completely agree with this.

If you're moving a guy like Kesler, it pretty much is a full on rebuild.........or an extremely signficant re-tool at minimum.

I'll also agree with Mëds that there are a few questions marks if we're dealing with Chicago. Is Saad really as good as he appears to be, or are his stats/level of play a little inflated due to his talented linemates?

A first round pick from Chicago would pretty much be bordering on a 2nd round pick.

As I've said a few times today, the Flyers are probably our best bet. They have young centers, young power forwards, and good overall grit.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BurningBeard wrote:When was the last time the media correctly reported a Gillis trade, before it happened, or even the Canuck player involved, before they moved? I believe there were some rumblings about Schneider the day before the draft. I can't think of anyone else.
It's not really that I or anyone else believes the media reports. It's interesting to review various 'what if' scenarios, this being one of them. I agree with those who think the rumored return from Pittsburgh isn't good enough.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Grabner couldn't crack a poor Panther's lineup out of training camp, do you believe he would have earned a spot on a much stronger Vancouver team?
All I know for sure, and this is because it actually happened, is that Ballard was awful here. I would have rather we took the chance that Grabner would have earned a spot here and have that first round pick than blow it on out-of-shape-Keith.

Quinton Howden's 26 points in Utica would provide more organizational value than anything Ballard ever accomplished here.
Last edited by herb on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.