What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
22
34%
Downward slope.
16
25%
Flu.
1
2%
Injuries.
8
13%
Fatigue.
7
11%
Other.
3
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
7
11%
 
Total votes : 64

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Strangelove » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Lancer wrote: You can still cheer for this team while arguing that the roster needs a make-over without being a bed-wetter. ;)


not on this site you can't. There is a difference between being stupid but it seems you cannot even suggest that changing the core is acceptable as others will call you all sorts of names.


Oh stop your blubbering.

Lancer didn’t say he wants your Vancouver Canucks need to miss the playoffs.

You did.

Lancer didn’t say Canucks missing playoffs would “force” Gillis to trade 2 top 4D + 2 core forwards.

You did.

In short, Lancer is neither delusional nor is he an extreme bedwetter.

You are. Image
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7541
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Strangelove » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:05 pm

mathonwy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:You guys are becoming more and more incoherent all the time, must be "urine on the brain".

There is no excuse for wanting your team to miss the playoffs.


Strange, I think I'm gay for you.

:lol:


All humans are attracted to the Great Strangelove. :mex:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7541
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:13 pm

vic wrote:It's all media driven. The local media doesn't spend enough time talking about or showcasing The Heat, University Teams, Rivermen, Eagles, Chiefs, Express, The Canadians....

I'd say the casual fan out there watches and likes what the media tells them to.


Considering how craptacular our local sports media is,that doesn't surprise me one bit.

I seriously am embarrassed by how shitty Team 1040 is (but thats for a different thread).
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Meds » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:45 pm

mathonwy wrote:
vic wrote:It's all media driven. The local media doesn't spend enough time talking about or showcasing The Heat, University Teams, Rivermen, Eagles, Chiefs, Express, The Canadians....

I'd say the casual fan out there watches and likes what the media tells them to.


Considering how craptacular our local sports media is,that doesn't surprise me one bit.

I seriously am embarrassed by how shitty Team 1040 is (but thats for a different thread).


I was thinking along the same lines. RSN and TSN don't put any money into marketing amateur athletics in Canada, so there really is no way to follow it. There are some CHL games, but the broadcasts kinda suck. I for one would probably start to tune in more to WHL games if they were available. Generally higher scoring, and more exciting. Kids actually playing because they want to play, not just for the paycheque.

You also have to think that the quality of the college/university athletics might improve if the athletes were suddenly getting national exposure.....it might attract some better talent to Canadian based universities if, coupled with an outstanding education, these athletes could actually get noticed by professional scouts.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3454
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:55 pm

mathonwy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:You guys are becoming more and more incoherent all the time, must be "urine on the brain".

There is no excuse for wanting your team to miss the playoffs.


Strange, I think I'm gay for you.

:lol:

Sam you am.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4989
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Topper wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:You guys are becoming more and more incoherent all the time, must be "urine on the brain".

There is no excuse for wanting your team to miss the playoffs.


Strange, I think I'm gay for you.

:lol:

Sam you am.

Baiting you is so easy.
Image
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby ClamRussel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:12 pm

herb wrote:Does anybody get out and support amateur athletics? Go to a major Canadian university hockey, soccer, football or basketball game and attendance can be measured in the hundreds.


Thousands in the games I've attended.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby ClamRussel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:20 pm

herb wrote:Nothing I have seen compares to athletics in the US. Take a school like Louisiana State University, which is about half the size of UBC, and situated in a city much smaller than Vancouver. LSU routinely fill a 90,000+ seat football stadium and a 10,000+ seat basketball stadium.


It's called being pacified & distracted. As a nation they are nuts for TV, beer & sports while going through life asleep. We're not much better but we focus on hockey & beer. Van may not be a sports town but it's a hockey town. The issue w/ the current state is the die hard blue collar fan base has been largely priced out of the market. Today the rink has been taken over by corporate schmucks & empty seats.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Mr.Miyagi » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:25 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
My point is this. We need a front office that is capable and willing to give a fair assessment of the problems on this team. My fear is this. If we make the playoffs we get to breath easier and use the injury excuse.....

Now if we make the playoffs, no matter how we do in them, if we get that fair assessment OK.

I'll be cheering for the Canucks every game, always do. I ain't hoping for a slide to the bottom just for a chance to get a higher draft pick either.


I see what you are saying. I couldn't agree with you more. To be clear I wasn't aiming the tanking comment at you directly, just the board in general. There has just been a lot of mentions about tanking it for lower draft picks, trading away some of the core, etc., etc.

I agree with your thoughts on playoffs. The last thing we need to see is management making up excuses for another early first round exit.

I believe major changes are needed. I personally don't think being a non-competitive team to obtain a lower pick is not one of them. I still believe that one or two pieces can put this team back into contender status. We still have elite goaltending and a great defence core.

Getting the Sedins going should be priority #1. I think other things will fall in place after that.

In regards to major changes: Don't think for a minute that GMMG isn't trying. It is his job. The problem is that there are 29 other GM's trying to make their team better too.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
User avatar
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby herb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 am

ClamRussel wrote:Thousands in the games I've attended.


Where?
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby herb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:47 am

ClamRussel wrote:We're not much better but we focus on hockey & beer. Van may not be a sports town but it's a hockey town.


So much so that the Heat are hemorrhaging money, the Bruins had to move to Victoria, UBC's hockey program is in jeopardy...
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Puck » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:51 am

Canadians simply do not live and die for sports. Even hockey. You have your passionate core, like those on this website, but when it comes down to it, we are much too practical a people to overvalue a sporting event. The Olympics are a bit different, as it's the whole country across a range of sports and we only have to be passionate for two weeks. Day to day, there are not that many people dissecting the successes and failures of their sports teams.

In the US, high school football is discussed on talk radio. Being the captain of the team will get you a job. How many employers in Canada would care that you captained a sports team in high school? It's night and day compared to here.
User avatar
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Strangelove » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:41 pm

herb wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:We're not much better but we focus on hockey & beer. Van may not be a sports town but it's a hockey town.


So much so that the Heat are hemorrhaging money, the Bruins had to move to Victoria, UBC's hockey program is in jeopardy...


The Bruins were doing very well attendance-wise considering the fact they were located in Chilliwack.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=5244

I've had plans to go to a Bruins game cancelled due to snow storms (Sumas Prairie is a bitch).

When the Heat came to Abby it predictably hurt their attendance.

The Heat are not doing well due to the fact most folks in the area are not interested in Flames prospects

(when the Canucks farm team comes to town, look out baby!).

The Abby Pilots have always done well in attendance.

As for the T-Birds, again: location, location, location.

And to a lesser extent: the growing percentage of international students.

Not that I disagree with your overall point.

Langley Hornets springs to mind, could only draw 600-700 per game a few years back = GONE
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7541
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby herb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Strangelove wrote:The Bruins were doing very well attendance-wise considering the fact they were located in Chilliwack.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/ ... p?tmi=5244

I've had plans to go to a Bruins game cancelled due to snow storms (Sumas Prairie is a bitch).

When the Heat came to Abby it predictably hurt their attendance.

The Heat are not doing well due to the fact most folks in the area are not interested in Flames prospects

(when the Canucks farm team comes to town, look out baby!).

The Abby Pilots have always done well in attendance.

As for the T-Birds, again: location, location, location.

And to a lesser extent: the growing percentage of international students.

Not that I disagree with your overall point.

Langley Hornets springs to mind, could only draw 600-700 per game a few years back = GONE


I don't agree that 3 or 4 thousand at a WHL hockey game in Chilliwack should be considered doing very well. Places like Brandon MB, Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge do better than that.

Agreed on the Heat. Incredibly stupid to put an Alberta farm team in the Fraser Valley. Even then, attendance numbers of 2 or 3 thousand spectators is absolutely abysmal. http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

Regarding T-Birds hockey, CIS hockey is an afterthought. Still, the thought of a major Canadian university losing its men's hockey team just seems sacrilege.

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that Vancouver ain't a sports town.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Strangelove » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:06 pm

herb wrote:I don't agree that 3 or 4 thousand at a WHL hockey game in Chilliwack should be considered doing very well. Places like Brandon MB, Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat and Lethbridge do better than that.


For the first 2 years attendance in Chilliwack averaged 90% capacity (4500 per game).

The Bruins were pleasantly surprised, considering the fact they were IN CHILLIWACK.

As I said, the Heat coming to Abby hurt the Bruins at the gate.

herb wrote:Anyway, I stand by my assertion that Vancouver ain't a sports town.


Agreed, but for whatever reason, Abby pretty much is.

Hatred for all things Flame notwithstanding.
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7541
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 25 guests