What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes : 64

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

We know that deals were offered to season ticket holders for the playoffs last season, the sellouts were manufactured. Corporate sponsors and box holders are scaling back as with decreasing revenues corporate boxes and sponsorships become increasingly hard to justify. to bean counters and shareholders.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Lancer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:51 am

ClamRussel wrote: :lol: holy smokes this is a sensitive topic. I didn't say thats what I thought should happen, I said it was my GUESS thats what WILL happen. Big difference. I'm just being realistic...blockbuster deals like we used to see (Gilmour to Leafs, Courtnall to Canucks, Lindros etc) are pretty much a thing of the past. They rarely ever happen anymore. Its because of the salary cap. Then I considered a GM who isn't exactly trigger-happy, look at his track record. I also considered almost everyone on this team who it would make sense to trade has a NTC. Make sense?

Ah Clam, didn't mean to go off on you particularly. It's really in response to a bunch of posts recently. Yours was just the snowflake that set off the avalanche. :lol:

I think we could very well see something more substantial than what you suggest, if for no other reason than the fact that Gillis must be feeling some heat and knows he's runnig out of rope in Vancouver. Yeah, he likes his core and wants to be loyal to it but Aquaman must be breathing down his neck and no doubt that breath will get fiery if the Canucks don't make it.

Add in a rising cap that may create some wiggle room for a number of teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if we some bigger deals in the summer. As for the NTCs, I would not be surprised if some of them all of a sudden get waived if the team does no better than the past couple of years. I think by that time it will be evident to all that it would be better for things to change - for all concerned.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:00 am

Topper wrote:We know that deals were offered to season ticket holders for the playoffs last season, the sellouts were manufactured. Corporate sponsors and box holders are scaling back as with decreasing revenues corporate boxes and sponsorships become increasingly hard to justify. to bean counters and shareholders.

The playoff scenario from last year is true, but I have no idea if sponsors and box holders are scaling back. It's also impossible to know if the Aquilini's are hurting or just making a bit less profit than they otherwise could have.

As far as I know, there is still a waiting list for season tickets. I have heard from season ticket holders that the resale market has really slowed down. No longer can you sell tickets for 2 or 3X face value.

At the end of the day, the Canucks are the only show in town, and will likely remain so. IMO a part of the issue with the lack of hype surrounding the team is that the team has become stale and needs a new star.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:36 am

The team is still supported by fair weather fans. The bandwagon was overloaded with the teams success, but as it falters, so will fan support. No longer will your buddies be watching when you stand and wave from your seat in the corner reds with your cell phone stuck to your ear.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby herb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 am

Topper wrote:The team is still supported by fair weather fans. The bandwagon was overloaded with the teams success, but as it falters, so will fan support. No longer will your buddies be watching when you stand and wave from your seat in the corner reds with your cell phone stuck to your ear.

Oh yeah, definitely. Vancouver is most definitely not a sports town. Going to the Canucks became very fashionable from 2008-2012 but that has died down quite a bit.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:04 pm

Strangelove wrote:You guys are becoming more and more incoherent all the time, must be "urine on the brain".

There is no excuse for wanting your team to miss the playoffs.

Strange, I think I'm gay for you.

:lol:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:06 pm

mathonwy wrote:
Strangelove wrote:You guys are becoming more and more incoherent all the time, must be "urine on the brain".

Yikes...* backs away quietly*
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:07 pm

rats19 wrote:
mathonwy wrote:

Yikes...* backs away quietly*

That doesn't make me unmanly does it?

:cry:

I .. am .. a .. man

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:14 pm

lol......
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:28 pm

herb wrote:
Topper wrote:The team is still supported by fair weather fans. The bandwagon was overloaded with the teams success, but as it falters, so will fan support. No longer will your buddies be watching when you stand and wave from your seat in the corner reds with your cell phone stuck to your ear.

Oh yeah, definitely. Vancouver is most definitely not a sports town. Going to the Canucks became very fashionable from 2008-2012 but that has died down quite a bit.

Is Vancouver not a sports town because of the large off-shore originated Asian population?

I'm asking because I don't know.

There ARE a lot of fairweather fans in this town. That's a fact. Even though the Nucks are the only real game in town, when the Nucks start sucking, people stop watching/caring and you'll start hearing idiotic comments like Luo sucks and blah blah blah.

I even got an idiot friend that said he'll start supporting the Coilers at the beginning of this season. Even in jest, you don't say stupid things like that.

That type of fairweather mentality is a stark contrast to real sports towns like Boston and New York where fans bleed red and pin stripe. I wonder if Vancouver will EVER become a real sports town.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:40 pm

I don’t think it’s just Vancouver. It’s the whole of the province, and dare I say Canada. I don’t get the sense that sports and athletics is really an integral part of Canadian culture.

People don’t really support sports in Canada all that well. Nearly every pro team has been in serious trouble at one time or another. Canucks, Oilers, Flames, Senators, Expos, Blue Jays, every CFL team, the Grizz of course.

Does anybody get out and support amateur athletics? Go to a major Canadian university hockey, soccer, football or basketball game and attendance can be measured in the hundreds.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 pm

herb wrote:I don’t think it’s just Vancouver. It’s the whole of the province, and dare I say Canada. I don’t get the sense that sports and athletics is really an integral part of Canadian culture.

People don’t really support sports in Canada all that well. Nearly every pro team has been in serious trouble at one time or another. Canucks, Oilers, Flames, Senators, Expos, Blue Jays, every CFL team, the Grizz of course.

Does anybody get out and support amateur athletics? Go to a major Canadian university hockey, soccer, football or basketball game and attendance can be measured in the hundreds.

I was going to disagree with you as I think that there is a lot of sports fanaticism in small town, Canada (like Saskatoon and the RoughRiders) but you make a good point with how apathetic we are with amateur athletics. Although, I would have to say that this is more of a west coast thing than a east coast thing.

I went to UVic for Uni and I couldn't give a shit about how the UVic sport teams were doing. I just never formed any type of emotional connection with UVic and now here in Vancouver. Do I care how UBC or SFU is doing? Not really.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby herb » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 pm

One year when I was at UVic the men's soccer team won nationals....I didn't even know playoffs had started and I was reasonably in tune with what was going on around school.

There are probably pockets within Canada that support athletics a bit better. University and CFL football games in Saskatchewan seem to have good attendance, and schools in the Maritimes seem to do OK as well.

For some reason Canadians are like obsessed with UFC. They’ll line up to pay $300 to watch that, but won’t fork out $15 to go to a WHL game. Go figure.

Nothing I have seen compares to athletics in the US. Take a school like Louisiana State University, which is about half the size of UBC, and situated in a city much smaller than Vancouver. LSU routinely fill a 90,000+ seat football stadium and a 10,000+ seat basketball stadium.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Why don't you grow a pair and address why I called you "delusional"?

Do you really believe you know more about this team than Mike Gillis?

WAKE UP.

Yes I do.

Reefer2 wrote:I said Ball 1 - what do you think of what MG is doing, well let me tell you the words that was coming out of that mouth. I would print it hear but I don't want to get banned.

What... your balls have mouths? :lol:
____
The Ring Leader
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby vic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:00 pm

It's all media driven. The local media doesn't spend enough time talking about or showcasing The Heat, University Teams, Rivermen, Eagles, Chiefs, Express, The Canadians....

I'd say the casual fan out there watches and likes what the media tells them to.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat