What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

Topper
CC Legend

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by Topper »

Prospal the mentor and 3rd line shutdown centre.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:Prospal the mentor and 3rd line shutdown centre.
Lookout Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles, St Lou here we come!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

As we can all see with how this season is going - AV and Raymond were not the probelm. Its the architect Mike Gillis and his shite designs for this team. Go forth our fearless leader! Bold moves!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

RoyalDude wrote:As we can all see with how this season is going - AV and Raymond were not the probelm. Its the architect Mike Gillis and his shite designs for this team. Go forth our fearless leader! Bold moves!
Bold moves...what a load of crap. A bold move would've been telling the Sedins that going foward they would be second liners and giving them $5 million instead of $7. But no...they get a raise while their production dries up.

Poor drafting, bad contracts, disastrous trades...what has Gillis done that's worked? Oh yes...he found Tanev, I'll give him that. Plus the "home town" discount contracts, which were acheived by giving out no trade clauses...clauses he will never ask a player to waive. Oh great.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Sorry to say drb you are wasting your breath on some people here, they choose to see what they choose to see. I like your longer post a few back, well done.

It is a transition year and fans can say what they want, this summer is the last transitional year I will give MG and his crew. Either draft well and work with JT to get 2 - 3 prospects in with REAL icetime or trade some core players for something back.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Here's a thought that no one probably ever thought of yet in the entire internet world...

Offseason compliance buyout Burrows. :shock:

Booth reg. buyout or waiver wire/minors.

That's $8.75M in cap space, so we can easily sign Vanek.

Burrows+Booth or Vanek? who would you rather have?

:mex:

Tired of overpaid 3rd liners, projects, castoffs, career fringe players, hoping and wishing one of them will magically become a quality top 6 forward.

Just go for the gusto, grab the bull by the horns and get a proven talent, the Sedins and Kesler are not going anywhere and they ain't getting younger, time to surround em with scorers.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:Here's a thought that no one probably ever thought of yet in the entire internet world...

I know it's frustrating to watch the canuck offence dry right up the last couple weeks, but Burr has been one of our best players the last few years. Yes, he has struggled this year and injuries haven't helped. I'd be patient with Burr for the remainder of this season and next season to see if he can get his game back before I'd even consider buying him out. I think we owe him @ least that. We have had Burr for a while now, we know he's one of the leaders on this team. He probably wants to pop in a few goals more than anyone to help the team and u know he will do everything he can to get his game back. That being said, I don't think Burr should be on the top line right now. I think the coaches should just let him do what he does best, play his pesky 2-way checking game on the 2nd or 3rd lines and some PK. If he pops in a few goals and gets his confidence back, then maybe give him some time on the 1st line again.

Boothy on the other hand should probably be bought out in the off season. He hasn't really ever fit here and he just doesn't show enuff most nites. He just has 1 year left on his deal anyways. If Booth can't score, he can't really contribute to the team in other ways; if Burr can't score, he is still a very good checker and energy player.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:Here's a thought that no one probably ever thought of yet in the entire internet world...

Why wouldn't you just trade him? Do you think Burrows' play has been that bad that he is UN-TRADABLE? There would be a taker for him, if we went that route. Not opposed to moving Burrows in a package. Burrows+Tanev in a package for Kane? hmmmmmm....
Costs us cap space either way. This team is in trouble because we're so tight against the declining cap after the last lockout. We need 2 top-6 wingers to play with Kesler. Kassian may or may not be one moving forward. Having $3M or whatever tied up in Booth in the minors would be brutal.
That's $8.75M in cap space, so we can easily sign Vanek.
Why Vanek? What has he done on any of his teams to improve them? The Islanders made a big trade for them, and he's put up points, but they've tanked. Do you think a guy like Vanek would work with a coach like Torts? I don't. Furthermore, as a PPG UFA I wager Vanek gets a massive deal. Think 7 years @ $7.5M-8M per as a starting point.
Tired of overpaid 3rd liners, projects, castoffs, career fringe players, hoping and wishing one of them will magically become a quality top 6 forward.
Who is overpaid? Higgins/Hansen are perfect 3rd liners. Our problem isn't with the bottom-6, it's having top-6 guys like Burrows and Booth playing below expectations and forcing the 3rd line guys to play roles they aren't capable of filling consistently. Higgins/Hansen on the wings would be a great 3rd line.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Why wouldn't you just trade him? Do you think Burrows' play has been that bad that he is UN-TRADABLE? There would be a taker for him, if we went that route. Not opposed to moving Burrows in a package. Burrows+Tanev in a package for Kane? hmmmmmm....
Sometimes you gotta do the unthinkable, this team needs a shakeup, this same tired core really needs one, a coaching change can only do so much.
We talked endlessly about Edler being traded, but never any talk about Burrows.

Only reason I said to buy him out is because of MG's stance on not trading players with NTC's, we never really got a solid answer on that from the management, but Botch said that they said they can trade anyone ntc or not, anyways I like Burrows on this team and we can afford to keep him. #TwasAShockFactorPost
Island Nucklehead wrote: Why Vanek? What has he done on any of his teams to improve them? The Islanders made a big trade for them, and he's put up points, but they've tanked. Do you think a guy like Vanek would work with a coach like Torts? I don't. Furthermore, as a PPG UFA I wager Vanek gets a massive deal. Think 7 years @ $7.5M-8M per as a starting point.
Try to pursue Vanek because this team has no snipers besides Daniel, who due to injuries and facing the toughest defense every game he's not as elite as before, Vanek is a perfect line mate for Kesler..as RK is a shooter first and foremost, he needs a playmaker/passer/sniper, Vanek is all that, and that's on top of his size. As for him not vaulting his teams to contender status all by himself (Buffalo/NYI), those teams are just plain horrible, NYI are at least getting a bit better, but crappy defense and goaltending don't help.

I'd bet anything this team is 10X more dangerous with Vanek on our 2nd line with Kesler, he'd immediately vault this team to dangerous status once again.

The point being Gillis in his entire time here has never got a player like Vanek's caliber, he's still young enough to play awesome while the Sedins and Kesler are here.

IMO he'd be the missing piece for the forward group to finally deal with the Cali teams and Chicago.

Island Nucklehead wrote: Who is overpaid? Higgins/Hansen are perfect 3rd liners. Our problem isn't with the bottom-6, it's having top-6 guys like Burrows and Booth playing below expectations and forcing the 3rd line guys to play roles they aren't capable of filling consistently. Higgins/Hansen on the wings would be a great 3rd line.
The problem is this team has put too much money put on players on the 3rd line, especially the winger spot.

Burrows $4.5M (2nd/3rd line tweener), Booth $4.25M, Higgins $2.5M, Hansen $2.5M, I'd gladly get rid of two or three of them for one solid top 6 winger.

Then we have the underpaid fringe type player Santorelli, who has really cooled after his hot start, and that's before his injury, his shot somehow got worse as the season went on.

Mini mouse injury prone Schroeder 3rd line center (as for him who knows, he needs a change of scenery)

Richardson is forced on the 3rd line. (capable 3rd line center, preferred he'd be on the 4th line, another problem for this team, lacking a uber 3rd line center)

Kassian is a nice luxury for the 2nd/3rd line RW.

Thats a grand total of 7 third line type players totaling almost $17M haha, or to be fair take out Burrows, and that's almost $12.5M spent on the 3rd line.

In the end, the obvious moves for MG and the inevitable is a Booth buyout and a dman trade.

All Gilly needs to do from now till the 2014/15 season starts is acquire a in-his-prime elite scoring winger a 3rd line center and a right side QB dman.
Is that too hard to do MG!?! :mrgreen:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I kinda like some of those ideas Skyo. Compliance buyout for Burrows and regular buyout of Booth. Frees up 7.5 million in cap space.

There is still the Luongo situation but he has played pretty decent this season and with a few teams having horrific goaltending, there may be a market for him providing Eye Bags doesn't get greedy and just takes a pick or a prospect. You hope and pray he plays another 6-7 years or so the cap penalty is minimized, or the next GM has to deal with it.

By getting rid of those three guys you open up about 13 million in cap space . Add that to the cap going up and the team can be a player in the UFA market.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Everyone except Gillis sees this team is dying a slow Iginla/Sutter era
Calgary Flames death. Bad trades, bad drafting, useless trade deadline moves, a GM who can't severe his Player Agents loyalty to properly manage a team, resulting in stupid crippling contracts with clauses that are unappealing on the open market. Shit even Gillis number one fan - Tony Gallagher can't refrain from slagging Gillis team. Brace yourselves Im gonna bring up some real bold Mike Gillis stuff here - With the rumors that Gillis emailed the 29 other teams that Dale Weise is on the market and another page in the Malhotra/Luongo Gillis weirdness with vinny prospal is there any more proof needed that Gillis is well not bold enough to properly manage this team. Where art though is our fearless leader in this time if need. Where is his Brent Burns style Dougie Wilson style trade, or as in the words of Island Knucklehead - a Stan Bowman style hatchet job. We need a GM who can take a flame thrower to that dressing room and torcherella it. Like poster Vic says - Gillis can't keep fucking up his draft pickings by bypassing Norris trophy type defenseman like Karlsson for the CoHos of the world

Constant reclamation projects and no significant core additions.

We have legendary posters like Blob Mackenzie pointing fingers at one player as the blame - Burrows, like he did with Raymond, or the coach - AV, but as we can see - its getting worse nit better. We have Hockey Widow constantly spin doctoring for all of Mike Gillis goofy decisions, but when you have Tony Gallagher, Mikes biggest apologist now getting out the daggers, HW and Blob have no choice but to join the winning side - my campaign to remove an incompetent GM who is driving this once storied team into the ground and deeper. Lets remove this GM before the hole he digs gets to deep yo crawl out of.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Everyone except Gillis sees this team is dying a slow Iginla/Sutter era
Calgary Flames death. Bad trades, bad drafting, useless trade deadline moves, a GM who can't severe his Player Agents loyalty to properly manage a team, resulting in stupid crippling contracts with clauses that are unappealing on the open market. Shit even Gillis number one fan - Tony Gallagher can't refrain from slagging Gillis team. Brace yourselves Im gonna bring up some real bold Mike Gillis stuff here - With the rumors that Gillis emailed the 29 other teams that Dale Weise is on the market and another page in the Malhotra/Luongo Gillis weirdness with vinny prospal is there any more proof needed that Gillis is well not bold enough to properly manage this team. Where art though is our fearless leader in this time if need. Where is his Brent Burns style Dougie Wilson style trade, or as in the words of Island Knucklehead - a Stan Bowman style hatchet job. We need a GM who can take a flame thrower to that dressing room and torcherella it. Like poster Vic says - Gillis can't keep fucking up his draft pickings by bypassing Norris trophy type defenseman like Karlsson for the CoHos of the world

We have legendary posters like Blob Mackenzie pointing fingers at one player as the blame - Burrows, like he did with Raymond, or the coach - AV, but as we can see - its getting worse nit better. We have Hockey Widow constantly spin doctoring for all of Mike Gillis goofy decisions, but when you have Tony Gallagher, Mikes biggest apologist now getting out the daggers, HW and Blob have no choice but to join the winning side - my campaign to remove an incompetent GM who is driving this once storied team into the ground and deeper. Lets remove this GM before the hole he digs gets to deep yo crawl out of.
And yet in December when the team was high fly'n you were the first to pump the tires of all the wops contributing to the success and rejuvenation of the Canucks.

Congratulations!

YOU ARE CHICKEN LITTLE OF CC™

'The sky is falling...the sky is falling....blah fucking blah....'

No one even cares what you say anymore :lol:

You are the typical fickle bandwagon Vancouver fan. The role model for all others to follow...

When it's dark you ponce, when it's light, you scurry away like a leeeetle cockroach.

Strangelove and others have made mincemeat of your 'opinions' when you LOVED the Booth trade etc...

You have absolutely no credibility...monkeys in an attic typing away on your old Smith Corona comes up with better hockey insight than you...

Hell, even Pauser, a true troll is more creative.

Get a tool belt, you need one to keep your pants up every time you stand up from the crapper... :mex:

This team is not done yet. Give Torts a season or two. We are in transition and are still in the playoffs (unlike your family's leaves that yoyo in and out of contention.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Vanek is not going to solve any problems on this team - especially at whatever price he will want this summer. He's 30, rich dumb and happy. You saw it in Buffalo and what you're seeing in Long Island is the benefit of playing with Tavares. He won't hit anything and dissolves when the going gets tough - so you know you won't notice him come playoffs. You don't win in the postseason with this guy - he's never been a point-per-game in the playoffs.

Let's hope Gillis looks somewhere other than cougar row this summer.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Everyone except Gillis sees this team is dying a slow Iginla/Sutter era

what a wad of shit I will have thread dedicated to you and your bed soaking clowns who can't fucking read
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer wrote:Vanek is not going to solve any problems on this team - especially at whatever price he will want this summer. He's 30, rich dumb and happy. You saw it in Buffalo and what you're seeing in Long Island is the benefit of playing with Tavares. He won't hit anything and dissolves when the going gets tough - so you know you won't notice him come playoffs. You don't win in the postseason with this guy - he's never been a point-per-game in the playoffs.

Let's hope Gillis looks somewhere other than cougar row this summer.
So whats your plan, wait for Gillis to trade for Kane? lol