What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

dbr
CC Legend

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by dbr »

Is the post still there? I wouldn't be surprised if Pauser clicks "Report" on that message board nearly as many times as the forty thousand plus occasions on which he's typed a bunch of dreck into the reply box and hit "Submit."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Sucks to be paused.. Lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

rats19 wrote:Sucks to be paused.. Lol
It really must. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be going through life being unable to accept perceived mediocrity from a professional sports franchise that doesn't give a fuck about you.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Is the post still there? I wouldn't be surprised if Pauser clicks "Report" on that message board nearly as many times as the forty thousand plus occasions on which he's typed a bunch of dreck into the reply box and hit "Submit."
That site is completely retarded.

Case in point: the Leaf fan I just exposed to be a troll.

He has invaded the Canucks forum at least 4 times, defending refs on obviously bad calls on Canucks.

The Canucks forum is the only one he has invaded.

And each time it has been to back the ref on a bad call.

The guy is a bigger troll than Dude... on a site that prides itself on squashing trolls??

Not to mention the general overall dumbness over there...

I go there to read the very few intelligent posters of various teams for insights on players.

Not sure why you waste your talents on that lot, but to each their own good buddy.
____
Try to focus on someday.
arttk
AHL Prospect

Post by arttk »

Strangelove wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Dont want to sound like a Pauser fluffer but...

Anyone notice how the Sedins game has tanked since their new contracts?
Nice guys, great team mates, etc but it is becoming ever apparent their game isn't what it once was....even as recently as early this season. Personally I think those huge minute games really took the piss out our top players

An olympic break wont help the Sedins considering the Swedes likely have a team in the final 4
I told ya so.
From that other board, someone calls out Pauser (AKA y2kcanucks):
arttk wrote:Considering that he has been *****ing about the Sedins ever since he found HF, I am not sure why I along with other people still continue to have this "discussion".

He has been against the Sedins before they broke out, after they broke out, during their Art Ross seasons and now. I mean he would be credible if he actually showed that he didn't have any bias towards them but then after 6-7 years of saying the same **** regardless of how they are preforming, come on.
:lol:
I lurk here too :D
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Why lurk...throw yourself around more...

Edit....Christ no shit you lurk..8 frikken years worth.. I want post with words in them..DO YOU HEAR ME. :wink:
arttk
AHL Prospect

Post by arttk »

rats19 wrote:Why lurk...throw yourself around more...

Edit....Christ no shit you lurk..8 frikken years worth.. I want post with words in them..DO YOU HEAR ME. :wink:
Technically I found this site around 2002 ? I don't usually like to post but then read too much Pause bullshit so I started to post of HF.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

arttk wrote:
rats19 wrote:Why lurk...throw yourself around more...

Technically I found this site around 2002 ? I don't usually like to post but then read too much Pause bullshit so I started to post of HF.
Well that's 12 lurking years....and that's ok arttk. Your choice to post where you want...but any enemy of pausder is a friend o mine..
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mike Gillis should take note of how Stan bowman and his Blackhawks slayed it in the 2011 draft, this whole fucking lame ass excuse you all drum up for Gillis poor drafting cause he picks late in the draft

2011 draft for Blackhawks - Stan Bowman

18th pick - Mark McNeill
43rd pick - Brandon Saad - 15 goals 19 assists
159th pick - Andrew Shaw - 13 goals 11 assists

Lets not forget that Bowman drafted Terovainen who was recently voted as one of the top 5 drafted prospects not playing in the NHL by the ISS

Could you imagine if we had Shaw and Saad on our team right now, dbr? Just wait til McNeill and Terovainen make the show

No fucking excuses for Gillis
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Mike Gillis should take note of how Stan bowman and his Blackhawks slayed it in the 2011 draft, this whole fucking lame ass excuse you all drum up for Gillis poor drafting cause he picks late in the draft
Indeed, Blackhawks director of amateur scouting Mark Kelley (a Dale Tallon hire) killed it that year.

Of course they set themselves up well, four picks in the top 43 of the draft. Bet they never take Saad if he was their first or second pick at 43rd overall, he was hurt all year and fell probably 30 spots from where some had predicted he'd go.

Bowman got all those extra picks by trading away the ridiculous wealth of talent Dale Tallon had left him. Troy Brouwer got him the 26th overall, Ladd got them 36th and they actually acquired the pick they used on Saad in exchange for giving Toronto their draft pick (which Tallon had acquired) back so the leaves could threaten Boston with an offer sheet.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It doesn't excuse the fact that the Canucks peers and main nemesis - the Bowman regime Blackhawks still remain at an elite level of play, won the cup last year, and the Gillis regime Canucks are barely hanging on to a playoff spot and pretty much sucked more and more each passing year since the cup run.

Your loyalty to your boi Gillis is confusing, are you not witnessing the atrocity? His performance over the last few years are atrocious and there is no end in sight to it, all the while the Bowman Blackhawks remain Cup favorites.

I could give two shits who the scouts are, these are Gillis and Bowman's regimes, it all comes down on them, which is why GM's get fired and scouting departments rarely.

Terrovainen - ISS Top 5 NHL prospect not playing in the NHL. Picked 18th overall in the draft. No exccuses for Gillis

Can you imagine if we had Saad and Shaw?

Anyhow, I could care less how many picks a team gets or how few. It's the success they have with those picks. Gillis has had enough picks in his time to be judged fairly, and the record shows, Eye Bags is atrocious in this department and explains why this team currently struggles. It's amazing really, especially since on his hiring it was the first slag he thew at Nonis, calling him out on poor drafting and developing. LOL
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:It doesn't excuse the fact that the Canucks peers and main nemesis - the Bowman regime Blackhawks still remain at an elite level of play, won the cup last year, and the Gillis regime Canucks are barely hanging on to a playoff spot and pretty much sucked more and more each passing year since the cup run.

Your loyalty to your boi Gillis is confusing, are you not witnessing the atrocity? His performance over the last few years are atrocious and there is no end in sight to it, all the while the Bowman Blackhawks remain Cup favorites.
Bowman has only been the Hawks GM since 2009. He inherited a team that already had those core players thanks to Dale Tallon's drafting. The Hawks team that won the Stanley Cup in 2010 was a team that was built by Dale Tallon. Swap out Toews and Kane for Henrik and Daniel and Chicago might win in 2010, they certainly don't win again in 2013.

RD wrote: I could give two shits who the scouts are, these are Gillis and Bowman's regimes, it all comes down on them, which is why GM's get fired and scouting departments rarely.

Terrovainen - ISS Top 5 NHL prospect not playing in the NHL. Picked 18th overall in the draft. No exccuses for Gillis

Can you imagine if we had Saad and Shaw?
Big deal. Terrovainen might be a superstar in the NHL in a few years, or he might be the next name on a long list of European players who failed to meet expectations.

If we had Saad and Shaw I'm willing to bet that they would only now be seeing regular shifts with the Canucks. Vigneault would have buried them in the AHL.
RD wrote: Anyhow, I could care less how many picks a team gets or how few. It's the success they have with those picks. Gillis has had enough picks in his time to be judged fairly, and the record shows, Eye Bags is atrocious in this department and explains why this team currently struggles. It's amazing really, especially since on his hiring it was the first slag he thew at Nonis, calling him out on poor drafting and developing. LOL
Blah blah blah.....without Kane and Toews all of those picks of Bowmans would be doing nothing on a nothing team.

Bowman gets minimal credit for 2010. He does deserve credit for re-tooling after losing big pieces due to salary cap restrictions and expiring contracts. Gillis re-tooled and added pieces to the team, and in 2011 that team missed it by a single game. The core that failed to get it done was, as you like to point out, drafted by Burke.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Okay RoyalDude I've grown tired of playing the "turn your tropes back on you" game. I had a big post written up but it's all just a huge waste of time and the other posters are probably tired scrolling past it so I'll just cut it down to the main point:

I've been posting for some time about why this team is in decline and why they are in a worse position than some of the other contenders in this league, how their opportunity to address this in a meaningful way will come after this season and how I will question the abilities and priorities of this management group if they can't meaningfully address those things.

If your piss poor comprehension (I'd like to think it's intentional but why bother giving you the benefit of the doubt anymore) leads you to believe this is an "atrocity" - the holocaust, the killing fields, the Canucks cap situation :lol: - and that anything other than obnoxious, totally pointless whining about those responsible for it must be borne out of some warped sense of loyalty then fine - but it says volumes more about you than anyone else.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Put another log on the fire..
Cook me up some bacon and some beans... :sly:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Overall, this team needs some more skilled assets up front to compete with the Sharks and Blackhawks of the Western Conference. This was the consensus at the beginning of the year and I still think this holds true.

That being said, this current losing skid (minus the Flames game I suppose) is nothing more than a slump. This team was regularly dominating teams only a few weeks ago, and I don’t think they have regressed that badly. They will get hot again and we’ll all be talking about the playoffs.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this team went on a downward slide once Burrows and Edler were injured. Personally, I underestimated the importance of these two players. Our possession numbers went to shit, and we got outshot by a pretty wide margin when these guys were out of the lineup. If we can ever get healthy, I think we’ll be fine in terms of making the playoffs.

I don’t think Gillis is blind to this team needing more horsepower. I think the Booth injury last season plus him not working out as anything more than a 3rd line type has really hampered this team. Gillis could not buy Booth out last off season due to the injury and replace him with say Clarke MacArthur, who would have been an excellent addition to this group.

The salary cap going down really hurt management’s ability to do anything other than buy out Ballard and sign a couple of cheap guys in Santorelli and Richardson, who have actually worked out beautifully.

The Sedins are a riddle at this point. Daniel is not even close to a 30 goal pace, and they continue to be just awful on the powerplay. Hank has certainly been a horse, but they need to put up more points.

Next season I think Gillis main job has to be turning Kesler’s line into the team’s first line. If Kassian continues his improvement, I think he can be one of Kesler’s winger, but at best Gillis needs to find one excellent winger to play with Kesler. Maybe Ryan Callahan who is going to be a UFA? I don’t know, but I think the effort to move the Sedins down the depth chart a bit needs to start asap.

As far as Gillis and drafting/development goes; I think the focus from ownership and management was very clearly on “winning now” from 2008-2012. That being said, they still have added some decent young players in Tanev, Kassian, Stanton and Lack, but this needs to improve in 2014. Thankfully, there are some very promising guys in the CHL who I am very much looking forward to seeing in September.

Finally, as far as trades go, I think Tanev and Stanton should be able to make somebody on the back-end expendable. I love Juice, but I think he could give us a massive return at the trade deadline…