What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck team?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What is happening to the team right now?

Slump.
34%
Downward slope.
25%
Flu.
2%
Injuries.
13%
Fatigue.
11%
Other.
5%
Nothing fool! Now shut your yap.
11%

Total votes: 64

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: What's your opinion on what's happening to this Canuck t

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Thousands in the games I've attended.
Where?
Thunderbird Stadium, the games I went to anyways. Not "tens" of thousands like the US but certainly not "hundreds" either. I recall one game in particular against the Huskies, it was pretty much packed.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ClamRussel wrote:Thunderbird Stadium, the games I went to anyways. Not "tens" of thousands like the US but certainly not "hundreds" either. I recall one game in particular against the Huskies, it was pretty much packed.
Cool, I've never gone to a game there. I hope they get that kind of support regularly.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Part of the problem with sports in Canada is the costs. Hockey is the most expensive by a country mile. The broadcast on minor hockey in Canada that Sportsnet threw out there the other night was a nice eye-opener. For a kid playing on rep teams an average cost of $15,000 per year can be expected. That's fucking insane for children's sports. I'm not sure if that average was just cost of league, equipment, and travel, or if it also included the cost of special camps as well.

In a city like Vancouver the kids that actually have parents who live and breathe the game, don't grow up with the same love of it because NHL hockey is, by and large, loved by blue collar folks who just can't afford those costs for a decade. Combine that with ticket costs boosting into orbit and it's now a hefty price tag just for a father and son to go to a game. So that means that kids don't grow up with the same love for the game because they didn't experience the game first hand.

The NHL brand is growing the game, but at the same time losing out on potential markets because they are fostering the high prices that are holding people back from the sport.

Seriously, hundreds of dollars for a hockey stick when a $30 stick will do the same job? Gimme a fucking break.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper wrote:The team is still supported by fair weather fans. The bandwagon was overloaded with the teams success, but as it falters, so will fan support. No longer will your buddies be watching when you stand and wave from your seat in the corner reds with your cell phone stuck to your ear.
Sales are lagging and season's ticket will be offered to those not on the waiting list.

LOL

I guess their list is done.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html

How are those $0.90 dollars supporting the league now?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:
Topper wrote:The team is still supported by fair weather fans. The bandwagon was overloaded with the teams success, but as it falters, so will fan support. No longer will your buddies be watching when you stand and wave from your seat in the corner reds with your cell phone stuck to your ear.
Sales are lagging and season's ticket will be offered to those not on the waiting list.

LOL

I guess their list is done.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hock ... story.html

How are those $0.90 dollars supporting the league now?
Everything is cyclical in this market. It's not like Toronto who have the population base, whereby the team can serve their fans shit on ice for decades and still charge their supporters the leagues' highest average ticket prices. :mex: