How to fix the Canucks defense?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: How to fix the Canucks defense?

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The "you can never go back" theory may apply here but this is one trade option that may have the greatest result and yet not as difficult to pull off. The sabres are in rebuild mode, they are focused on Reinhart/Ekblad and most likely McDavid/Echel next year. They are all about the future and Erhoff may not be apart of that vision. They have great up coming young defenseman, this Zadarov they drafted in the last draft may be the steal if the draft, not to mention the Fin defenseman they picked in the top 10 of the same draft Ristoulainin(sp?) looks like a stud, Myers is young and developing and this McNabb kid they got with one if the picks we gave them for Steve Stonehands Bernier is a good young d-man as well. They may even like pick Ekblad and pick him. So I think Erhoff could be had for a prospect and of pick.

This teams offense really missed erhoffs play and seemingly Edlers game took a hit since his departure as well as those two had pretty good chemistry together.

Jason 'Milquetoast' Garrison is a fucking disappointment. He is slow and plodding and has zero of an edge to his game. Tanev definitely ranks higher on the depth chart to the point where Tanev should be considered an untouchable core player who is a main part of the next gen of Canucks. Tanev's play has knocked Garrison out of the top 4.

That being said, we are stuck with lame-o Garrison. We re-acquire Erhoff, regrettably we dangle Tanev for a good young forward.

Anyhow, that's my arm chair GM-ing for the day
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ehrhoff has another one of those back diving contracts. I doubt the Canucks are going to want to take that on. Can you imagine having both Luongo and Ehrhoff retire early and the cap recapture they both bring. Yikes.
The only HW the Canucks need
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ehrhoff has another one of those back diving contracts. I doubt the Canucks are going to want to take that on. Can you imagine having both Luongo and Ehrhoff retire early and the cap recapture they both bring. Yikes.
The years of him being paid more than his cap hit are over.

Of course, acquiring a guy who will be 32 before the start of next year is problematic for other reasons..
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ehrhoff has another one of those back diving contracts. I doubt the Canucks are going to want to take that on. Can you imagine having both Luongo and Ehrhoff retire early and the cap recapture they both bring. Yikes.
Doesn't the recapture penalty effect the team that signed those contracts?

That's the hic-up with Lou isn't it? If we trade him and he retires then the cap hit comes back to bite the Canucks.

If that's the case then who cares. Get Hoff back and if he retires then Buffalo is fucked, not us.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote:

That's the hic-up with Lou isn't it? If we trade him and he retires then the cap hit comes back to bite the Canucks.

If that's the case then who cares. Get Hoff back and if he retires then Buffalo is fucked, not us.

The cap recapture effects all teams who received a cap benefit and for the years in which they received a cap benefit. So Buffalo would have the first few years where they paid hm like 10 million per on a cap of 4.something, big cap recapture. As the player ages and his actually salary nears or is less then the cap then the team doesn't have a penalty for those years.

The biggest risk therefore is to the team that signed the contract, which is why it was such a nonsense boggy man to the team acquiring said player. Players that signed huge front loaded signng bonus deals could really come back to bite a team if said player retires early.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mëds wrote:

The cap recapture effects all teams who received a cap benefit and for the years in which they received a cap benefit. So Buffalo would have the first few years where they paid hm like 10 million per on a cap of 4.something, big cap recapture. As the player ages and his actually salary nears or is less then the cap then the team doesn't have a penalty for those years.

The biggest risk therefore is to the team that signed the contract, which is why it was such a nonsense boggy man to the team acquiring said player. Players that signed huge front loaded signng bonus deals could really come back to bite a team if said player retires early.
So then acquiring Ehrhoff at this point is risk free. Even if he were to retire at age 36, there would only be $3M remaining to be paid out. What would the recapture be on that? His caphit of $4M for 3 years? And would that go against the team he is with or revert to Buffalo?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:

Of course, acquiring a guy who will be 32 before the start of next year is problematic for other reasons..

It's like trying to find a perfect wife, go through a lot of sluts, eventually searching for the young trophy wife becomes improbable when your aging and aging, time to settle down and find a milf who knows wtf they are doing and is stable enough to get this show going.

But enough about what I want, we went through enough hopefuls, outcasts, we should just get what works already, Hoffer is proven here and the NHL, semi expensive, but we get what we need in a right side QB, has a fluid/strong transition game, makes our powerplay lethal and plays well with Edler (rarity).
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

SKYO wrote: But enough about what I want, we went through enough hopefuls, outcasts, we should just get what works already, Hoffer is proven here and the NHL, semi expensive, but we get what we need in a right side QB, has a fluid/strong transition game, makes our powerplay lethal and plays well with Edler (rarity).
So let me understand this, we are going to pick up the PP QB from a team that has a worse PP% than us in the hopes that he will help increase our PP%?

:hmmm:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
dbr wrote:

It's like trying to find a perfect wife, go through a lot of sluts, eventually searching for the young trophy wife becomes improbable when your aging and aging, time to settle down and find a milf who knows wtf they are doing and is stable enough to get this show going.

But enough about what I want, we went through enough hopefuls, outcasts, we should just get what works already, Hoffer is proven here and the NHL, semi expensive, but we get what we need in a right side QB, has a fluid/strong transition game, makes our powerplay lethal and plays well with Edler (rarity).
I'm thinking that if we get another $4M defenseman, one of our other $4M defensemen will be gone.....and if we are going for a puck moving, offensive minded blueliner, then Edler is probably the guy being asked to waive his NTC.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:
SKYO wrote: But enough about what I want, we went through enough hopefuls, outcasts, we should just get what works already, Hoffer is proven here and the NHL, semi expensive, but we get what we need in a right side QB, has a fluid/strong transition game, makes our powerplay lethal and plays well with Edler (rarity).
So let me understand this, we are going to pick up the PP QB from a team that has a worse PP% than us in the hopes that he will help increase our PP%?

I don't think it's as much about the PP as it is about having a smart guy who can skate the puck up the ice, and not fumble it all over the place like it's a hot potatoe.

I don't think our PP improves until we stop running it through the Sedins. So long as captain stationary slow it down and his brother are running the show, this PP is going to stagnate.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:So let me understand this, we are going to pick up the PP QB from a team that has a worse PP% than us in the hopes that he will help increase our PP%?

Come on a18, it's hard to compare a players impact to a teams % while he's playing on the crappiest team in the league.

Anyways as Mëds said, I have a feeling Edler is the one going to be traded, leaving Garrison the player who needs someone to create chemistry with, and he's played really well with Campbell, wonder what it would take to land him? (w/salary% retention), or another right side QB.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:

The recapture penalty affects every team that benefited cap-wise with the player in question.

A team acquiring Ehrhoff would not be subject the recapture penalty because actual salary < cap hit.

The Sabres would be hit with a $10m cap-penalty if Ehrhoff were to retire before the contract expires

(spread over the number of years remaining; eg: retires in 2018 = $3.333m for 3 years).

A team acquiring Lou this summer would eventually be hit with a penalty if Lou retires before contract is up.

That's because Lou still gets paid more than his cap hit until the summer of 2018.

Your Vancouver Canucks would also be hit with a recapture penalty in that scenario.

http://www.capgeek.com/recapture-calcul ... _year=2014
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I'm really not sold on Garrison.

His entire game is quite average except for his shot. His hitting is below-average, his skating is average, his passing is sometimes average sometimes shitty, his defensive coverage is above average, his asshole factor is non-existent, his shot is hard but not accurate.

And of course he's got a NTC. OF COURSE@#*"HY TP*ISYFO*S"GSKDGBFIWGE"ITHOEH FSND

--

His beard is a beauty though.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: So then acquiring Ehrhoff at this point is risk free.
True, there would be no recapture penalty to a team that acquires Ehrhoff going forward.
Mëds wrote: Even if he were to retire at age 36, there would only be $3M remaining to be paid out.
There would be nothing to be paid if he were to RETIRE (are you confusing retirement with being bought out?)

But at the point of retirement, the Sabres would be hit with a recapture penalty.
Mëds wrote: What would the recapture be on that? His caphit of $4M for 3 years? And would that go against the team he is with or revert to Buffalo?
Hopefully I've already answered this question for you.

Confusion much? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: And of course he's got a NTC. OF COURSE@#*"HY TP*ISYFO*S"GSKDGBFIWGE"ITHOEH FSND
Okay, now I'm confused. :lol:
mathonwy wrote: His beard is a beauty though.
He's also great in the community, winning isn't everything.
____
Try to focus on someday.