Our craptacular power play

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby Uncle dans leg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:55 am

Topper wrote:I repeat, Burrows should have been traded over a year ago when he still had value and before negotiating his new contract. Some other fool should be paying him $8 million this year.

^this^
We've most certainly cleaned out the good years of his career already.

Re-discovering "lost magic" never happens....
nobody forks with...the jesus
User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Lethbridge AB

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby Topper » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:18 am

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:I repeat, Burrows should have been traded over a year ago when he still had value and before negotiating his new contract. Some other fool should be paying him $8 million this year.

No doubt his trade value peaked somewhere between the summer of 2011 - summer of 2012.

But what kind of a message would trading him at that point have sent to the team?


That management is committed to winning.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4792
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby SKYO » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm

Jason Garrison - Raphael Diaz
on our new powerplay? :thumbs:
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby Strangelove » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote:No doubt his trade value peaked somewhere between the summer of 2011 - summer of 2012.

But what kind of a message would trading him at that point have sent to the team?

(and the fans)


That management is committed to winning.


Well we'll never know what the return would have been or whether more winning would've been the outcome.

I realize it's not a popularity contest, but popularity (chemistry/cohesion?) is a factor to some extent.

And like I say, the prime directive should be to keep the fans happy in a gate-driven NHL.

Now Gillis is super-patient and the fans are super-fickle (over-the-moon in Dec, down-in-the-dumps in Jan)

... so the big guy might just ride out the storm, who knows.

But IF this team plays down the stretch the way they did in January.

This summer would be the best time from a keep-the-paying-customers-happy perspective to move core players.

The best time in years.

But for all we know, Canucks play like December down the stretch and Gillis looks like a genius for his patience.
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby mathonwy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm

The real question is, what would Strangelove do...
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 pm

After tonight's game in Detroit Torts said he is tired of the same old look on the PP. Said the team has to find ways to change it up and creat offence. Well, John, you are the coach. Perhaps benching our so called number one unit for ten or so games may get the message home?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3926
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby mathonwy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:15 am

Hockey Widow wrote:After tonight's game in Detroit Torts said he is tired of the same old look on the PP. Said the team has to find ways to change it up and creat offence. Well, John, you are the coach. Perhaps benching our so called number one unit for ten or so games may get the message home?


You won't hear me protesting that type of action.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby Meds » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:30 am

Strangelove wrote:Now Gillis is super-patient and the fans are super-fickle (over-the-moon in Dec, down-in-the-dumps in Jan)


I think that's a bit of an inaccurate generalization. We know that you are an uber patient fan who will BELIEVE until the bitter end. But many fans were loving December but also saying that we'll see what happens when they schedule toughens up and we start facing the top teams down the stretch. There is a difference between cautious optimism and outright wagon jumping fanaticism that makes one question if some of these people are bipolar.

I for one always want this team to win, IF they are good enough to get it done when it counts. If they aren't good enough then I would rather they not tease us, tank hard, and put us in a position to really stock up with talented youth, be that through higher picks or through the GM being forced to pull the trigger. We have our division championships, we have our conference championships, we have our President's Trophies, there is only one thing left, and that's ALL I care about now. I still think the President's Trophy is something to be very proud of, the winner was the best of 30 teams for 82 games. The Stanley Cup means you were the best of 16 teams through a maximum of 28 games, and odds are that the team that brings it home was an average team through 82 games and just got a combination of luck and good play at the right time from depth players. However, it is the MOST PRESTIGIOUS TROPHY IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS, and it is high time we see the Vancouver Canucks name engraved on the side of it.

Strangelove wrote:But for all we know, Canucks play like December down the stretch and Gillis looks like a genius for his patience.


I hope so. But I think it unlikely.....and so do you if you really care to be honest with us. ;)
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3331
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby black ace » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:13 pm

The powerplay isint going to get better because they dont practice it. Even Kesler came out and said they need to practice more to build confidence.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Re: Our craptacular power play

Postby Strangelove » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Meds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:But for all we know, Canucks play like December down the stretch and Gillis looks like a genius for his patience.


I hope so. But I think it unlikely.....and so do you if you really care to be honest with us. ;)


Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for.

- Johnny Depp
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7373
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest