So.....what do we do when the Sedin twins retire?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: So.....what do we do when the Sedin twins retire?

Postby The Brown Knight » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:49 pm

It's definitely possible that someone will step up when the Sedins bow-out and/or decline..........but it's also possible that no one does either.........and hence, creating a Calgary-like situation.

Look at Colorado. Who "stepped up" when Sakic retired?

What about way back in the day with Chicago when the days of Roenick, Larmer, Chelios, and Belfour came to an end?

What happened to the Dallas Stars after 2008?

Toronto Maple Leafs after the Mats Sundin core in 2003?

I can go on and on, but the point remains: If a franchise loses it's franchise player(s), and said franchise players aren't replaced, then that franchise will go into the toilet for a number of years. Period.

Yes - it's entirely possible that someone can step up. From the examples that I showed however, it's also possible that no one steps up and the team goes to shit.

Which then begs the question.........is it wise to gamble, or is it perhaps wiser to try and acquire a sure thing? A sure franchise player.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:55 pm

I'd rather worry about it IF AND WHEN it ever goes to shit.

But that's only because I'm really really really ridiculously cool. 8-)
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Be proactive.....not reactive.

I'm reading and studying Dale Carnegie, and Carnegie stresses this important life philosophy very much.

If a man only chooses to drink water when he is thirsty, it is already too late.....as he is already dehydrated. If he had been proactive however, he would have kept the engine running.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:In a perfect Hindu world, Canuckscorner.com poster Strangelove wouldn't be posting pics of Buddhists from
Ace Ventura II and passing them off as Hindu's! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry, honest mistake.

But the point remains. :D

LOL, as soon as I saw the saffron robes I started laughing.

Doc hops off back to the outback......
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:15 pm

But getting back to the topic at hand, I'd have a much better peace of mind in knowing that the Canucks would be guaranteed to have a franchise player/heir apparent to the twins, rather than hoping for someone to 'step up' when the times comes.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Strangelove » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Topper wrote:LOL, as soon as I saw the saffron robes I started laughing.

You can laugh at that, but you can`t laugh at the NHL Department of Player Safety! :shock:

BTW did you feel you were laughing with or at the Great Strangelove...

Brown Knight, try to relax and enjoy the ride good buddy! :thumbs:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Strangelove wrote:

You can laugh at that, but you can`t laugh at the NHL Department of Player Safety! :shock:

I'm enjoying the ride good sir! So far atleast.......

I just don't want to see my ride end with it going off a cliff! :P

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ukcanuck » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm thinking the kind of succession to the throne you're looking for there TBK doesn't really happen all that much and is kind of impossible to predict otherwise the flames (or habs or islanders or oilers etc ) might not suck so badly.

But in the short term I'm enjoying the way Torts is having a positive effect on Kesler.
I can see his line overshadowing the Sedins and perhaps with luck, a Horvat line slides into the third spot for a season or two before taking over ?

Something like that... As for trading for a new Moses...meh, that happens almost never.
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby 5thhorseman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:18 pm

No need to wait for the Sedins to retire. Kesler is already moving ahead of them under Torts.

The last significant game (CHI):
Kesler 25:40
H Sedin 24:21
D Sedin 24:35

The second-last significant game (BOS):
Kesler 18:21
H Sedin 15:58
D Sedin 14:43

Edit: Hell, Richardson (17:00) even got more ice time than the Sedins in this game!
5thhorseman
CC Veteran

Postby dangler » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 pm

The 4 years will be a lengthy transition for the next generation of 1st liners.
Sedin regression is looking pretty good so far :D .Having the Sedins and Lou here is great for mentoring along the younger players and keeping the Canucks competetive.

ukcanuck wrote:.............. I'm enjoying the way Torts is having a positive effect on Kesler.

I think your giving too much credit to Torts. Keslers health and Santorelli's presence probably has more effect on his returning to "BEAST MODE"than John Tortorella. Great to see anyhoo!!

Who thought the Canucks would be in 8th overall at the halfway mark of this season???
dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Strangelove wrote:

In your black and white RCA world.

Oh yes, I was laughing at the flawed Strangelove. Yes, most definitely at.

...and I continue to laugh at you and your illiteracy..........Me, defending Shanahan the media whore.... no.

Now, defending Betman's appeal rulings, that is a different matter. Those are worth while reads.......for those who can read.

GM, no fear, it is doubtful the monochrome monocle can see brown.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Cookie La Rue » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:31 am

If THIS is ever happening, i'm going to retire myself, feel free to join... :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

PS: not going to put a bullet in my head.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:50 am

dangler wrote:The 4 years will be a lengthy transition for the next generation of 1st liners.
Sedin regression is looking pretty good so far :D .Having the Sedins and Lou here is great for mentoring along the younger players and keeping the Canucks competetive.

ukcanuck wrote:.............. I'm enjoying the way Torts is having a positive effect on Kesler.

I think your giving too much credit to Torts. Keslers health and Santorelli's presence probably has more effect on his returning to "BEAST MODE"than John Tortorella. Great to see anyhoo!!

Who thought the Canucks would be in 8th overall at the halfway mark of this season???

I thought a few Canucks would bounce back from off years last year and yeah Kesler was one I figured would be better even without Torts but..
There was this moment I remember from the last playoff game (2nd) when it mattered against the sharks where the beast mode was locked in and the entire sharks bench looked shocked and a little scared.. 7 hits and 2 goals and who's with me boys??

Um nobody... On the Canucks bench was a collection of crickets and AV giggling away behind his lineup sheet.

At that moment I knew the season was done, AV was gone, and I figured Kesler would be one happy camper with a new coach and when it turned out to be Torts with his basic old school puck pressure blood and guts style, Kesler was destined to have a great year.

What I'm really hoping for is, remember the Henrik or Kesler for captain debate?

You can't take the C away now but with Torts not buying into the old narratives and just letting the cream rise naturally ....

I'm hoping for Kesler to become the defacto captain and this time when beast mode locks you better believe the the bench will be on fire
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:32 am

We continue to ride the roller coaster called. Being a canuck fan..Sheesh dark one what a silly question :crazy:
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Tciso » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:55 am

The Brown Knight wrote:It's definitely possible that someone will step up when the Sedins bow-out and/or decline..........but it's also possible that no one does either.........and hence, creating a Calgary-like situation.

I can go on and on, but the point remains: If a franchise loses it's franchise player(s), and said franchise players aren't replaced, then that franchise will go into the toilet for a number of years. Period.

Yes - it's entirely possible that someone can step up. From the examples that I showed however, it's also possible that no one steps up and the team goes to shit.

Which then begs the question.........is it wise to gamble, or is it perhaps wiser to try and acquire a sure thing? A sure franchise player.

I gotta challenge your assumptions a lot there. Unlike Calgary and those other teams I snipped, we have a solid core of 2nd and 3rd line players. We have solid goal tending. Colorado lost Sakic and Roy. We have Lou, and Lack stepping up nicely. And, we have a strong defense that is adding depth, not losing depth. Lots can happen in 4 years, and with a solid core of players, I don't see the retiring of the twins being a big blow to the team.

My biggest fear is that they suck in years 3 and 4 of their contract, and we cannot add the talent we need in those 2 years, or we lose talent as our young guys come out of rfa status. Those could be some dark seasons.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat