So.....what do we do when the Sedin twins retire?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: So.....what do we do when the Sedin twins retire?

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Oh yes, I was laughing at the flawed Strangelove. Yes, most definitely at.
Thought so, a whooosh is definately in order then!
Topper wrote: Betman's appeal rulings, that is a different matter. Those are worth while reads.......
OMG those are worth the biggest laughs of all!!!

whooosh
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

rats19 wrote:We continue to ride the roller coaster called. Being a canuck fan..Sheesh dark one what a silly question :crazy:
Hey rats,

Of course I'll be a Canuck fan regardless of what the future holds. I think you may have misinterpreted the intent of my post.

Obviously as fans, our role is to be there for the team no matter what, and enjoy the ups and downs.

All I'm saying is this:

If Gillis is not careful in the up coming years, we could be seeing a lot more down then up in the future once the twins either decline or retire.

We saw what happened to the Flames after 2009.
We saw what happened to the Edmonton Oilers after 2008.
We saw what happened to the talented leaves core after 2003, and we saw what happened to the Avs once Sakic retired.

All I'm saying, is that if Gillis takes some bold yet shrewd moves for a franchise player, then maybe we can keep this party going. Ya dig?

Look at how the San Jose Sharks remained an elite team after trading for Joe Thornton in 2005? If you recall, that team was declining fast after a few promising years. With the Thornton trade however, they kept the party going and have been one of the most consistent franchises.

It's entirely possible that over these next four years, we draft or develop someone that is of the same calibre as a Pavel Bure, Markus Naslund, or the Sedin twins. Or maybe not. Perhaps one of Horvat, Shinkaruk, or Gaunce will develop and be of that calibre. Maybe not.

All I'm saying is that when the Sedins decline or retire, we need to be prepared.

If a team like Pitsburgh gets blitzed again in the playoffs this season..............and their issues with team defense and goaltending are issues yet again, then perhaps inquiring about a move for Malkin might be a solid move for us that can help keep the party going until atleast 2023 instead of say 2017-2018.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

You mustn't have heard. We just signed Dane Fox.. :drink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Tciso wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:It's definitely possible that someone will step up when the Sedins bow-out and/or decline..........but it's also possible that no one does either.........and hence, creating a Calgary-like situation.

I can go on and on, but the point remains: If a franchise loses it's franchise player(s), and said franchise players aren't replaced, then that franchise will go into the toilet for a number of years. Period.

Yes - it's entirely possible that someone can step up. From the examples that I showed however, it's also possible that no one steps up and the team goes to shit.

Which then begs the question.........is it wise to gamble, or is it perhaps wiser to try and acquire a sure thing? A sure franchise player.
I gotta challenge your assumptions a lot there. Unlike Calgary and those other teams I snipped, we have a solid core of 2nd and 3rd line players. We have solid goal tending. Colorado lost Sakic and Roy. We have Lou, and Lack stepping up nicely. And, we have a strong defense that is adding depth, not losing depth. Lots can happen in 4 years, and with a solid core of players, I don't see the retiring of the twins being a big blow to the team.

My biggest fear is that they suck in years 3 and 4 of their contract, and we cannot add the talent we need in those 2 years, or we lose talent as our young guys come out of rfa status. Those could be some dark seasons.
All great points Tciso.

I will say this however.

We might not end up as low as Calgary, Colorado, etc., but we would surely be a middle-of-the-road team like Phoenix if we don't have an elite franchise player(s) leading the team. All cup contending teams have elite franchise players.

And to your other point, I also agree. I share the same concern.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

rats19 wrote:You mustn't have heard. We just signed Dane Fox.. :drink:
Connor McDavid eat your heart out. :P

The Dark Indian Rises
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Yup..I know what you are saying trust me. What I don't have is answers, I put my faith/hope in our scouts and the GM, because that's all I really can do.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

ukcanuck wrote:I'm thinking the kind of succession to the throne you're looking for there TBK doesn't really happen all that much and is kind of impossible to predict otherwise the flames (or habs or islanders or oilers etc ) might not suck so badly.

But in the short term I'm enjoying the way Torts is having a positive effect on Kesler.
I can see his line overshadowing the Sedins and perhaps with luck, a Horvat line slides into the third spot for a season or two before taking over ?

Something like that... As for trading for a new Moses...meh, that happens almost never.
You're right Uk, but like you said..........doesn't really happen all that much........but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Again - look at the San Jose Sharks in 2005 and how they acquired Joe Thornton.

Even the Canucks in 06' with Luongo (although in our case, the deal fell into Nonis' lap). If the Luongo deal didn't happen, our team was likely headed for a nosedive.

A lot can happen in 4 years, and I will enjoy the ride regardless of what happens, but I think it goes without saying that I'd like to ensure that we remain an elite team for years to come........as opposed to fading into oblivion like Toronto, Calgary, and Edmonton did.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

rats19 wrote:Yup..I know what you are saying trust me. What I don't have is answers, I put my faith/hope in our scouts and the GM, because that's all I really can do.
Yes indeedy.

And all I can do is propose spectacular hypotheticals on Canuckscorner.com. :P

The Dark Indian Rises
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I will celebrate and start to get excited about a new era in Canuckland because the current era is nothing but mediocre. We are no longer a top team. We have fallen back, and are now committed to 4 more years with these declining aging veterans who were never any good in the playoffs to begin with. Now they are in a steep regular season decline where they are nowhere close to being PPG players either. By the end of their contracts we could be committing $14M to two 45-50 point players. A complete albatross.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

The_Pauser wrote:I will celebrate and start to get excited about a new era in Canuckland because the current era is nothing but mediocre. We are no longer a top team. We have fallen back, and are now committed to 4 more years with these declining aging veterans who were never any good in the playoffs to begin with. Now they are in a steep regular season decline where they are nowhere close to being PPG players either. By the end of their contracts we could be committing $14M to two 45-50 point players. A complete albatross.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Arachnid wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I will celebrate and start to get excited about a new era in Canuckland because the current era is nothing but mediocre. We are no longer a top team. We have fallen back, and are now committed to 4 more years with these declining aging veterans who were never any good in the playoffs to begin with. Now they are in a steep regular season decline where they are nowhere close to being PPG players either. By the end of their contracts we could be committing $14M to two 45-50 point players. A complete albatross.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yup, laugh all you want. I mean, how can we do anything without the Sedins? Give these softies the keys to the city! MY GOD THE SEDINS ARE THE GREATEST PLAYERS EVERRR!!!! SEDINS DO NO WRONG!!! SEDINS PLAY LIKE CRAP? BLAME TEH FOURTH LINERZZZZ!!!! SEDINS DO NO WRONG EVAAAA!!!

It's unbelievable the blind love and blind support they get.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol at the tard having a meltdown . Must be the Sedins fault. I blame your parents for this. If they actually signed you up for team sports as a child you might actually understand TEAM sports instead of running around with a river of piss running down your leg every time the team loses a game .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol at the tard having a meltdown . Must be the Sedins fault. I blame your parents for this. If they actually signed you up for team sports as a child you might actually understand TEAM sports instead of running around with a river of piss running down your leg every time the team loses a game .
Nah, the only tards are the people who blindly support these two sacks of garbage who have gotten this team NOTHING! And who are actually happy that we are saddled with these bad contracts for four more years. But hey, you probably cheer the players more than the team right?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The_Pauser wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Lol at the tard having a meltdown . Must be the Sedins fault. I blame your parents for this. If they actually signed you up for team sports as a child you might actually understand TEAM sports instead of running around with a river of piss running down your leg every time the team loses a game .
Nah, the only tards are the people who blindly support these two sacks of garbage who have gotten this team NOTHING! And who are actually happy that we are saddled with these bad contracts for four more years. But hey, you probably cheer the players more than the team right?
Blindly support these two sacks of garbage? Bad contracts?

Where to even begin...

You sound like a child. Grow up.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

mathonwy wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Blindly support these two sacks of garbage? Bad contracts?

Where to even begin...

You sound like a child. Grow up.
You could begin with how this team is going to be any good after Gillis screwed it for the next 4 years by committing $14M to two players who are quickly becoming second liners.