So.....what do we do when the Sedin twins retire?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

The Canucks have the twins for another 4 years.......which SHOULD mean that the Canucks will continue to be a Top 12 team during this time period.

The question however is what will happen to this team when the twins retire?............and is there anything we can do now to ensure that this core successfully transitions to the next?

Don't get me wrong - guys like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, etc. should be excellent players, but make no mistake about it: None of these guys will likely be as good as the twins, and none of these guys will be franchise players.

I think Horvat has a terrific chance in being as good as Ryan Kesler, and I also expect Shinkaruk to be a very very respectable second line player (or even a good facilitating support player on a first line), but I don't see any of these guys being true franchise guys.

And as my longtime Hindu friend RoyalDude will happily tell you, Gillis' drafting record hasn't exactly been on par with Scotty Bowman's or Ken Holland's in terms of finding diamonds in the rough. Since the Canucks are likely to finish in the upper 1/3rd of the league for the next 3-4 years, our chance of drafting the next franchise player becomes even less likely.

So - what can be done? Are the Canucks destined for mediocity once the twins retire?........or, due to age, stop playing performing like elite franchise players in the not-so-distant future? (they are 33 years old).

I'm about to go into goofy NHL 14' land here (sorry Topper :-p), and suggest the following:

IF both the Canucks and Pitsburgh Penguins falter in this years' playoffs........especially in the case of Pitsburgh if they get destroyed by the Bruins again..........I'd make a serious inquiry for Evgeni Malkin. And yes.......I know that sounds extremely goofy and unrealistic.

If the Pens get blown out again by the Bruins, it will be because their team has no concept of Team defense when it matters most, and it will be because MAF will let them down again.

If I'm Gillis, and both the Canucks and Penguins falter for similar reasons to their prior two post seasons, I would seriously start pitching the idea of moving Kesler, Edler, and a few 1st rounders for Malkin. Maybe even Eddie Lack if we can convince Luongo to not exercise his out clause next year. Crazy and unrealistic? Probably.

However - this Canuck team will eventually need an 'alpha' Franchise player to build around once the twins retire and/or are incapable of playing that role. Why not atleast attempt this route?
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: So.....what do we do when the Sedin twins retire?

Post by ukcanuck »

Here's the problem with your question, who could have predicted that it was going to be the Sedins that became the engine that drives the bus when it was the west coast express time to retire. It sure didn't look like the Sedins were gonna pan out there for quite a while...

Who knows which players will step up when the time comes?
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

ukcanuck wrote:Here's the problem with your question, who could have predicted that it was going to be the Sedins that became the engine that drives the bus when it was the west coast express time to retire. It sure didn't look like the Sedins were gonna pan out there for quite a while...

Not too bad of a point.

However - I think during the 2005/2006 season, it became fairly obvious that the twins had stepped up quite substantially and would be ready to be a decent first line. In 2006/2007, the twins proved that they were bona-fide first line superstars.

In 2000 during Messier's last year here, it was starting to become apparent that Naslund was developing into something special.

You could be right......but right now, I'm just not seeing it. Kesler is a great player no doubt, but is he a FRANCHISE guy? I don't think so. Will Edler and/or Lack ever develop into one? Can you see Horvat, Shinkaruk, or Gaunce becoming that guy? Jensen? Schroeder? (lol).

You're right that anything is possible, but I hope that Gillis has a plan in place to keep this engine going.

The Calgary Flames kept trying to ride an aging Iginla for the longest time, and we all saw what happened to them after 2009.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

But seriously though - has anyone on here watched the Penguins over the past two playoffs?

Their offense is ridiculously awesome obviously, but they've got some MASSIVE issues on defense and especially in net.

I know that the idea of even thinking about acquring Malkin is regonkulous, but like I said...........if the Pens get blitzed by Boston again, or lose to any other team not named Tampa Bay (i.e. losing to Tampa might not be considered too much of an upset), then I think Pitsburgh might be open to the idea of changing their team infrastructure......especially if their loss is due to their inability to tighten up again.

Enter Ryan Kesler and friends.

On our side - we get Malkin who can become our new #1 center.

The Dark Indian Rises
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Here's the problem with your question, who could have predicted that it was going to be the Sedins that became the engine that drives the bus when it was the west coast express time to retire. It sure didn't look like the Sedins were gonna pan out there for quite a while...

Not too bad of a point.

However - I think during the 2005/2006 season, it became fairly obvious that the twins had stepped up quite substantially and would be ready to be a decent first line. In 2006/2007, the twins proved that they were bona-fide first line superstars.

In 2000 during Messier's last year here, it was starting to become apparent that Naslund was developing into something special.

You could be right......but right now, I'm just not seeing it. Kesler is a great player no doubt, but is he a FRANCHISE guy? I don't think so. Will Edler and/or Lack ever develop into one? Can you see Horvat, Shinkaruk, or Gaunce becoming that guy? Jensen? Schroeder? (lol).

You're right that anything is possible, but I hope that Gillis has a plan in place to keep this engine going.

The Calgary Flames kept trying to ride an aging Iginla for the longest time, and we all saw what happened to them after 2009.
You're hilarious TBK.....you acknowledge an excellent point and then disregard the heart of that point and go on to ask if we see Horvat, Shinkaruk or Gaunce becoming "that guy". We haven't even seen these guys play a regular season NHL game yet, and the point was that when the Sedins were in their first 4 FULL seasons we still weren't seeing what looked to be top line material. They didn't look like superstars in the making until after the 2004-05 lockout. And at the end of that season we had no other choice but to go with them because Bertuzzi was gone and the WCE was no more.....and they stepped up.

Gillis has 3 years to make moves and acquire youth to help keep this team competitive.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:But seriously though - has anyone on here watched the Penguins over the past two playoffs?

Their offense is ridiculously awesome obviously, but they've got some MASSIVE issues on defense and especially in net.

I know that the idea of even thinking about acquring Malkin is regonkulous, but like I said...........if the Pens get blitzed by Boston again, or lose to any other team not named Tampa Bay (i.e. losing to Tampa might not be considered too much of an upset), then I think Pitsburgh might be open to the idea of changing their team infrastructure......especially if their loss is due to their inability to tighten up again.

Enter Ryan Kesler and friends.

On our side - we get Malkin who can become our new #1 center.
Thanks but no thanks. Malkin has stepped up when Crosby is out, but if you watch him play you know he's not a team guy and tries to one-man it. I would never advocate building around a Russian.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Mëds wrote:You're hilarious TBK.....you acknowledge an excellent point and then disregard the heart of that point and go on to ask if we see Horvat, Shinkaruk or Gaunce becoming "that guy". We haven't even seen these guys play a regular season NHL game yet, and the point was that when the Sedins were in their first 4 FULL seasons we still weren't seeing what looked to be top line material. They didn't look like superstars in the making until after the 2004-05 lockout. And at the end of that season we had no other choice but to go with them because Bertuzzi was gone and the WCE was no more.....and they stepped up.

Gillis has 3 years to make moves and acquire youth to help keep this team competitive.
Fair enough, lol.

I just realized what I did.

You and ukcanuck certainly are right that anything can happen.

However - there is also a reason why the twins were drafted at #2 and #3. Even though they were late bloomers, their talent was off-the-charts. Franchise player level talent.

When I look at Horvat, I see a guy that could easily become as good as Kesler, Bergeron, or Mike Richards........but none of those guys are true franchise guys. Do you think Horvat can be better than those 3 guys? Perhaps.....perhaps not.

The thing you have to keep in mind with the twins, is that they had TONS of time to develop before the WCE declined.

In our current time, this is not the case. The twins are 33 years old. We may not have the luxury of waiting 4 years to see if Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, etc., maximize their potential.

The Dark Indian Rises
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I think we'll be fine. Even though Kes may not be a true #1 centre, he's still one of the best 2-way players in the game. When MG stripped Lou of the C, there was a good debate on who should become the captain: Hank or Kes. I think Hank was a good choice, but there were many who argued for Kes. I expect Kes will become the captain this time around, and I think Juice & Hammer to be great guys to support him. And yes, by then hopefully some of our young players will be pushing for major roles on the team: BoHo, Shinky, Gaunce, Cassels, etc. I think Kassassian will play a big part in the team too, but probably not in the leadership dept.

Also, with the Sedin salaries off the books (like $12M?). Hopefully we can use the money to attract some major free agents. Some good wingers or a D-man might be good, enter East Van Milan and/or Evander "Show me the Money" Kane? :lol:
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Mëds wrote:Thanks but no thanks. Malkin has stepped up when Crosby is out, but if you watch him play you know he's not a team guy and tries to one-man it. I would never advocate building around a Russian.
That is one legit concern with Russians.

As racist as they may sound, you just never know if or when they'll change their minds in the blink of an eye.......and defect back to Russia, request a trade, etc., etc.

Having said that, I think Malkin does want to stay here for the long haul.......but no one knows for sure. We saw what happened with Kovalchuck.

As far as his playing style goes, I don't care too much if Malkin tries to one-man it as long as he consistently puts up points. Ovechkin and Pavel Bure are/were crazy puck hogs, but I'd gladly have both guys on my team. Kesler during the Nashville series in 2011 was a puck hog, but we all saw what he did.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Also, with the Sedin salaries off the books (like $12M?). Hopefully we can use the money to attract some major free agents. Some good wingers or a D-man might be good, enter East Van Milan and/or Evander "Show me the Money" Kane? :lol:
This is an excellent point.

Even if we don't have the twins per say, we should have an excellent supporting cast of Kesler, Kassian, Horvat, Shinks, Gaunce, etc., etc.

With 12 million off the books, it's definitely possible to sign a big name franchise player if one is on the market.

Unlike Calgary or Edmonton, players are attracted to the idea of living in Vancouver.

The Dark Indian Rises
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Mëds wrote:
Thanks but no thanks. Malkin has stepped up when Crosby is out, but if you watch him play you know he's not a team guy and tries to one-man it. I would never advocate building around a Russian.
:bang:

Yeah, last thing this teams needs is a former Conn-Smythe / Hart / Art Ross winner who averages 60 assists and 100 points a year and is only 27 years old

Fuck Mëds, maybe it's time you take a break from this place?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

!

In a perfect Hindu world...

... the Sedins dominate forever. :drunk:
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Strangelove wrote:!

In a perfect Hindu world...

... the Sedins dominate forever. :drunk:
In a perfect Hindu world, Canuckscorner.com poster Strangelove wouldn't be posting pics of Buddhists from
Ace Ventura II and passing them off as Hindu's! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

But in all seriousness, this Canuck team is up shit creek if the Sedins' decline and no one steps up.

Twins are 33. Bah gawd, I turn 33 next week! And even I can't do stuff that I could do during my 20's......and this is *me* we're talking about. :o

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: In a perfect Hindu world, Canuckscorner.com poster Strangelove wouldn't be posting pics of Buddhists from
Ace Ventura II and passing them off as Hindu's! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sorry, honest mistake.

But the point remains. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

This.
____
Try to focus on someday.