On Eddie Lack

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: On Eddie Lack

Post by SKYO »

iirc I remember exactly when Schneider took over, it was when Lou was always the #1 but AV was in fuck it mode, he was like whoever is playing on fire will play, he let Schneider play in the middle of the season and was like if he's winning and playing well, we'll keep him playing, dude went on like 6-8 game tear/winning streak or something like that, from then on team saw him as taking over the team asap.

This was on top of Schneid's beating some good teams in his sporadic games played.

Anyways I think Lack is opening up the eyes of the team/coach/mg right now and this will probably end Luongo's tenure here if not this offseason then definitely in the 2015 offseason. (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014;

It's a bitter sweet scenario, but the way Lu's been playing this season and the way other goalies have shat the bed, his value imo goes up.

But right now there is no controversy thank gawd, Torts/Gillis/Aquabros DO NOT want any of that nonsense this season at all, plus Lack is still relatively unproven, it'll be good to get another season of mentoring from his good bud Lu next season as well.

And now Lu has a groin injury so we can see more of Lack for an undetermined amount of time. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, not sure how serious that injury is to Lou. We have a week long break, so it might be all that is needed for Lou to come back and play the next game. That being said, I wouldn't mind if Lou is out a couple weeks, I would like to see Lack get a stretch to games to see if he can handle it. Get a better read on his ability to play as a #1 right now. :D
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Yeah, not sure how serious that injury is to Lou. We have a week long break, so it might be all that is needed for Lou to come back and play the next game. That being said, I wouldn't mind if Lou is out a couple weeks, I would like to see Lack get a stretch to games to see if he can handle it. Get a better read on his ability to play as a #1 right now. :D
I wouldn't mind Lou missing the Olympics either. No one outside of 1/2 of the Canucks fans like him (the media and the other 1/2 the fans loathe him). If we win gold, it is in spite of him. If we lose,it is because of him. And, he could use a rest instead of a media circus. Here's hoping his tweak takes him off the Team Canada radar.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

SKYO wrote:iirc I remember exactly when Schneider took over, it was when Lou was always the #1 but AV was in fuck it mode, he was like whoever is playing on fire will play, he let Schneider play in the middle of the season and was like if he's winning and playing well, we'll keep him playing, dude went on like 6-8 game tear/winning streak or something like that, from then on team saw him as taking over the team asap.

This was on top of Schneid's beating some good teams in his sporadic games played.

Anyways I think Lack is opening up the eyes of the team/coach/mg right now and this will probably end Luongo's tenure here if not this offseason then definitely in the 2015 offseason. (Exception 1: Player can supply five-team trade list following final game of 2013-14, valid through July 15, 2014;

It's a bitter sweet scenario, but the way Lu's been playing this season and the way other goalies have shat the bed, his value imo goes up.

But right now there is no controversy thank gawd, Torts/Gillis/Aquabros DO NOT want any of that nonsense this season at all, plus Lack is still relatively unproven, it'll be good to get another season of mentoring from his good bud Lu next season as well.

And now Lu has a groin injury so we can see more of Lack for an undetermined amount of time. :o
The Canucks learned their lesson anointing Schneider as their future #1. There was no necessity to make the announcement and by doing so created the goalie controversy themselves. If they would have said nothing more than who's starting tonights game there would have been None of the goalie crap that went on for over a year,no flying down to Florida begging Roberto's forgiveness,nothing.
It seems Luongo wants to partake in the Olympics (understandably,who wouldn't) and other than a possible injury, I can't see any downside to him doing so.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

So far I like every bit of Lack's game. I am most impressed with his composure and maturity between the pipes. I haven't seen much scrambling and our of position goals against yet. I have seen him get out of position a few times but he has a great ability of getting back in a hurry without scrambling or looking desperate.

It is also really nice to see some young character get in the lineup, too. This year I am noticing more character out of this team than I have the last 4 years. The Canucks' core (minus Kesler, Bieksa, and sometimes Burrows) always seemed like a "all business" kind of team to me. The team seemed to lack character and often seemed so focused on their goals that they were almost robotic and predictable at times under AV.

The younger players that they have had, like Tanev, Hodgson, and Schneider were cut from the same cloth as the core Canucks (Sedins, Edler, etc.). It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but the team really looked uniform to me. Overall I can't complain, because the team has had quite a bit of success with this approach... It was just getting a little stale IMO.

The additions of Kassian, Lack, Richardson, Santorelli, and even Torts to a certain extent are a breath of fresh air for the team and fans. The subtle changes that were overdue appear to be having a positive impact on the team. Eddie Lack is a big part of that.

Personally, I would hold on to the kid for at least the remainder of this season. With the salary cap going up again next year, there is still some hope that Gillis can get a solid return for Luongo if another team has the cap space to commit. We may need Lack to split the load and eventually move into the no.1 spot down the road.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Just saying, on EA Sports i had traded Schneider for Lucic and got Eddie Läck as my Nr.1 goalie 9 months ago, Luongo is 2nd. :mrgreen:

Merry to ALL.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sick of goaltending controversies here in Vancouver, now we got a mentally fragile rookie goalie to groom, and MG gets him a similar aged Swedish goalie for competition.

Getting a similarly goalie where both want to be a number one can be disastrous like Reimer/Bernier.

Does everything have to be a do or die cut throat competition? I'm not saying Lack/Markstrom are like this, but there is no comfort zone for a rookie goalie to succeed when there is a clone of you backing you up.

All Lack needs is a VETERAN goalie who knows his role and isn't trying to steal his spot, just a vet goalie whose sole purpose is to support Lack and mentor him to become a #1 goalie.

This is especially true if Torts is still here next season, as he really doesn't seem to want to play Markstrom at all.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Sick of goaltending controversies here in Vancouver, now we got a mentally fragile rookie goalie to groom, and MG gets him a similar aged Swedish goalie for competition.

Getting a similarly goalie where both want to be a number one can be disastrous like Reimer/Bernier.

Does everything have to be a do or die cut throat competition? I'm not saying Lack/Markstrom are like this, but there is no comfort zone for a rookie goalie to succeed when there is a clone of you backing you up.

All Lack needs is a VETERAN goalie who knows his role and isn't trying to steal his spot, just a vet goalie whose sole purpose is to support Lack and mentor him to become a #1 goalie.

This is especially true if Torts is still here next season, as he really doesn't seem to want to play Markstrom at all.

They don't like Jacob's positioning and he hasn't had a lot of time to work on it since he has been here. I think Torts has said as long as the Canucks are still mathematically in the hunt he is going to run with Lack. Once eliminated we will see Jacob. I expect next season we will see how competitive these two are and hopefully with a chance to work on his positioning Jacob will once again emerge as that great young goalie of the future.

If they can both be competitive I think a platoon type situation can work for a season or two. After that they will both want to be the number one and we will be ready to trade one of them as we have a couple more in the system.

At least that's the plan.

And of course Torts is going to go with Lack. He went out on a limb after the Olympics and played Lack over Luongo saying the two points were critical and he was playing the goalie he thought was going to give us a chance to get the points. He'd look pretty foolish now playing Jacob over Lack after benching Luongo. I wonder where we would be in the standings today if we had played Luongo, all at a time when we started to score?
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote: I wonder where we would be in the standings today if we had played Luongo, all at a time when we started to score?
Was it coincidence that the Canucks started scoring after the Luongo trade?
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Jovocop wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: I wonder where we would be in the standings today if we had played Luongo, all at a time when we started to score?
After Kesler went down
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

vic wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
After Kesler went down
When some kids were called up and Daniel wasn't Henrik's boat anchor anymore.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:
Right, I forgot. When we can't score it's Luongo's fault. Not sure why the two are connected. I think it has more to do with a Burrows getting unstuck and Jensen finding the back of the net.
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
Right, I forgot. When we can't score it's Luongo's fault. Not sure why the two are connected. I think it has more to do with a Burrows getting unstuck and Jensen finding the back of the net.
Matthias is playing big minutes. He might not score a lot but he does take some loads off Henrik and Kesler (before his injury).