By the Numbers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

By the Numbers

Postby Vader » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:30 pm

All right, so we're approaching the mid-season doldrums, thought it'd be fun to reminisce on who the best (or worse) Canucks of all time were, by uniform number. Only rule is the player has to have the majority of his success with one number - i.e Geoff Courtnall wore #10 & #14 but should only be considered for #14, where he had his best years. Only exception is Bure since no one else wore #96

Here's my list, what does yours look like?

Numbers.png
Numbers.png (138.21 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: By the Numbers

Postby Lancer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:00 am

That was a fun read. Thanks for that! :)

I would take Diduck over Lanz and Murzyn over Butcher, but call me sentimental for '94.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Vader » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:18 am

Lancer wrote:
I would take Diduck over Lanz and Murzyn over Butcher, but call me sentimental for '94.

I struggled with those two as well.

What's amazing is how many mediocre players wore common numbers like 15, or 17 (the most common number used). It's no wonder they were so bad in the 70's and 80's. In the old Smythe Division, other teams were throwing out centres like Gretzky, Messier, Gilmour, Dionne, Nicholls, Hawerchuck, the best we muster were nice players like Sundstrom and Gradin
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Per » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Vader wrote:What's amazing is how many mediocre players wore common numbers like 15, or 17 (the most common number used). It's no wonder they were so bad in the 70's and 80's. In the old Smythe Division, other teams were throwing out centres like Gretzky, Messier, Gilmour, Dionne, Nicholls, Hawerchuck, the best we muster were nice players like Sundstrom and Gradin

Yet Sundström still holds the NHL record for most points in a playoff game.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=30
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Vader » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Per wrote:
Vader wrote:What's amazing is how many mediocre players wore common numbers like 15, or 17 (the most common number used). It's no wonder they were so bad in the 70's and 80's. In the old Smythe Division, other teams were throwing out centres like Gretzky, Messier, Gilmour, Dionne, Nicholls, Hawerchuck, the best we muster were nice players like Sundstrom and Gradin

Yeah, with NEW JERSEY!

Sundstrom was an excellent player, but simply wasn't in the same class with the other centres in the league and division at the time
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Per » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Vader wrote:
Per wrote:

Yeah, with NEW JERSEY!

Sundstrom was an excellent player, but simply wasn't in the same class with the other centres in the league and division at the time

Likewise, Krutov is one of the greatest hockey players of all time.
Unfortunately, he didn't show any of that in Vancouver...... :(
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Vader wrote:
Lancer wrote:

I struggled with those two as well.

What's amazing is how many mediocre players wore common numbers like 15, or 17 (the most common number used). It's no wonder they were so bad in the 70's and 80's. In the old Smythe Division, other teams were throwing out centres like Gretzky, Messier, Gilmour, Dionne, Nicholls, Hawerchuck, the best we muster were nice players like Sundstrom and Gradin

My number is 18 on most of my jerseys (also 10 :) ) that I wore for teams so I am biased....hopefully Stanton will be in the rafters one day :eh:
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Per wrote:
Vader wrote:
Per wrote:

Yeah, with NEW JERSEY!

Likewise, Krutov is one of the greatest hockey players of all time.
Unfortunately, he didn't show any of that in Vancouver...... :(

:(

Some tanks just run out of petrol or get fat I guess....
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby rats19 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Always been 19, back to little league..all sports
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby The Brown Knight » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Good post Vader, but I disagree on some.

-Kirk McLean gets the nod over Luongo for 1994 alone. Luongo has McLean beat everywhere else, but we saw what McLean did in 1994.......compared to what Luongo did when we needed him most in 2011 during Games 6 and 7 of the finals.

-Burrows over Geoff Courtnall

-King Richard over Corey "mysterious injuries when it matters most" Schneider

-Bieksa over Lidster

-Diduck over Lanz

-Hodgson over Cloutier. Cloutier's poor performances when we needed him most, pushes him down IMO. On the other hand, Hodgson owning Tim Thomas in the imaginary "Game 8" was one of the prettiest goals in franchise history.......and showed to the world just how much of a clutch player that Hodgson was. Hodgson played brilliantly that year against rival Canuck teams.

Arachnid wrote::(

Some tanks just run out of petrol or get fat I guess....

Or start balding as they approach their 50's. ;)
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Vader » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:55 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:Good post Vader, but I disagree on some.

-Kirk McLean gets the nod over Luongo for 1994 alone. Luongo has McLean beat everywhere else, but we saw what McLean did in 1994.......compared to what Luongo did when we needed him most in 2011 during Games 6 and 7 of the finals.

-Burrows over Geoff Courtnall

-King Richard over Corey "mysterious injuries when it matters most" Schneider

-Bieksa over Lidster

-Diduck over Lanz

-Hodgson over Cloutier. Cloutier's poor performances when we needed him most, pushes him down IMO. On the other hand, Hodgson owning Tim Thomas in the imaginary "Game 8" was one of the prettiest goals in franchise history.......and showed to the world just how much of a clutch player that Hodgson was. Hodgson played brilliantly that year against rival Canuck teams.

Luongo / McLean was a tough one. If neither made a SCF it would be Luongo, no question. I went based on the entire body of work, Luongo was more consistent year in and out.

Yeah, I was pretty iffy on Bieksa and Lidster myself. Ditto Diduck / Lanz.

Burrows / Courtnall? another close one, but I personally think Burrows scoring is a bit too tied to the Sedin's to knock off Courtnall

Hodgson didn't even last a season here, Cloutier, like him or hate him, was the undisputed #1 goalie for 4 (long) years. Can't agree with that one
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Topper » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Arachnid wrote:My number is 18 on most of my jerseys (also 10 :) )

28 eh mack
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Tciso » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:54 am

Gelinas is and always will be my favorite #23. Not the most talented, but 100% heart. And, he played by 3 simple rules. 1) if your team doesn't have the puck, go get it. 2) If yo have the puck, put it on net. 3) If you don't have the puck, go to the net.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Arachnid » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:17 am

Topper wrote:
Arachnid wrote:My number is 18 on most of my jerseys (also 10 :) )

28 eh mack

I always figured that if she wears my jersey (and just my jersey) I can always claim that I thought she was 18 :D
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Vader wrote:Hodgson didn't even last a season here, Cloutier, like him or hate him, was the undisputed #1 goalie for 4 (long) years. Can't agree with that one

For me, longevity isn't too much of a factor. I tend to view things on a scale of between -10 and +10 (intuitively). A positive or negative memory will obviously shift the scale accordingly. Intuitively, I would have Hodgson slightly on the negative, but fairly close to '0' (like a -1.2). Hodgson obviously had his off ice daddy issues and was limited in his skill-set ( especially on the defensive side of things), but he scored some big time clutch goals in his short time here. I think Hodgson would have helped us against the Kings that year.

Cloutier, for his time here, had some decent moments, but the negative far outweighed the positives. The Lidstrom goal, the shaky play against the Wild in Game 7, the constant injuries, etc. I would put Cloutier at a -4.5.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Next

Return to Canucks Corner Chat