TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: TSN loses NHL Hockey Rights

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:Isn't the hallmark of conservative thinking to make up your mind before you even consider the issues.
Yes, only conservatives rush to judgement.

:crazy:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote: That being said the NHL does not have the market the NFL does.. there was a point in the last decade where nobody was "hungry" for NHL broadcasting rights and they did not spread them around because nobody would pay for them. I don't think they were receiving money at all (?) when they were on the OLN in the states, for example.
The looming lockout of 2004-05 (concerns of fans walking away) affected the that "hunger" Dave.

Then, during the lockout, ESPN was making noise about declining its ($60m) option for 2005-06.

ABC backed off, so the Bettman made an odd deal with NBC during the 04-05 lockout for the 05-06 season:

No fees upfront, but a guaranteed share of revenues for the NHL.

Then, after the lockout, ESPN did indeed decline their $60m option and tried to "jew" Bettman down to $30m

(for that same 05-06 season).

Ummm.... never attempt to jew a jew. :hmmm:

Bettman stood his ground and said the price is $60m minimum.

Keep in mind this was just after the lockout and everyone was concerned about fan reaction.

Comcast stepped forward with an offer to broadcast the NHL on their OLN.

They worked out a 3-yr $207.5m deal (later extended for another 3 years at slightly more).

Which takes us to the 2011 10-yr $2b deal with Comcast/NBC.

Bettman took some flack for going with the much smaller OLN @ $69m per over ESPN @ $30m

(more exposure with ESPN).

But Comcast worked hard to promote the NHL and it GREW, eventually swallowing NBC Universal.

I think the Bettman's "Don't fuck with me" attitude pays off in the long run.

Recently TSN tried an ESPN-haughty thang and the Bettman reminded everyone of said attitude. :mex:

I think the Bettman has set this thing up for a bidding war among the American broadcasters in 2021.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The original OLN deal had the effect that the NHL was not available to much of the US market. They had to work hard to resolve that.

ESPN is a major shareholder in TSN :wink:
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Thanks for the refresher Doc.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: ESPN is a major shareholder in TSN :wink:
Yup, Bettman is a little prick. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The deal also gives Rogers not only the rights to existing programming but anything that may be developed during the term. So outside of the Olympics any future Canada Cup type tournaments will go to Rogers. There has been talk of re instituting some type of North American tournament along the lines of the Canada cup. Something that will draw in the US viewers.

All future Winter Classics they get as well and they have been lucrative for the NHL. I can see all sorts of things coming with this deal. Like more games in Europe, which Rogers will get too. They will have a say in this future development as a partner with the NHL. Can't wait yo see how the PA quashes things :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

I won't be surprised if there's another Canadian team in the league before the deal is over as well.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BurningBeard wrote:I won't be surprised if there's another Canadian team in the league before the deal is over as well.

If it works for Rogers ya I can see that. But will Rogers allow a team in South Western Ontario? Kind of a conflict on that one.

But certainly I can see another eastern based team if Rogers does well on this deal. Not sure if they care about Quebec though.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:I won't be surprised if there's another Canadian team in the league before the deal is over as well.

If it works for Rogers ya I can see that. But will Rogers allow a team in South Western Ontario? Kind of a conflict on that one.

But certainly I can see another eastern based team if Rogers does well on this deal. Not sure if they care about Quebec though.
Well if not Quebec, then where?

I wonder if it would be worth exploring an NHL team in Saskatchewan.....CFL and NHL don't have much overlap, and the Riders are probably one of the strongest fan bases in the CFL. It's just a big flat plateau, so people will drive from everywhere to come to the games, and they love their hockey in Saskatchewan as much as they do in any other province in Canada.

The only drawbacks are the number of games in the NHL schedule versus the CFL, and the fact that Saskatoon would be the preferred city between it and Regina, which means that you need 10% of the total city population to fill the arena. :P

Fuck it.

Wouldn't work. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It has to be SW Ontario, if not Quebec. Only place with the population base that could easily fill an arena . But both Buffalo and Toronto would have to agree.

Not really sure where else in Canada a team could succeed if not Quebec City or SW Ontario.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: It has to be SW Ontario, if not Quebec. Only place with the population base that could easily fill an arena . But both Buffalo and Toronto would have to agree.

Not really sure where else in Canada a team could succeed if not Quebec City or SW Ontario.
If a team can thrive in Winnipeg, a team can most certainly thrive in Hamilton or Quebec City.

If the value of a team in Winnipeg is $340m one year removed from paying $170m for said team

... how much would the NHL demand in expansion fees for a team in Hamilton or Quebec City?

I would imagine about... $500m(??)... each... at this point.

And that price is no doubt rising by the minute.

PRIME locations. :mex:

Now some of that money would go directly to leaves/Sabres and Canadiens (NHL would negotiate).

But yeah, franchise values are going through the roof!

This is something yours truly has stated time and again for which Bettman was willing to lockout the players.

A guaranteed large slice of the revenue pie AKA "cost certainty" is great in and of itself.

But franchise values are greatly affected by this, and THAT is where the action is.

I just can't fathom why folks tend to focus on revenues during lockouts and almost ignore franchise values.

Of course the two are tied together, but still.

I also can't fathom why Canuck Nation runs with a ridiculous rumour like "Aquaman can't afford to buyout Lou!"

:lol:

Obviously he CAN, obviously $22m ($1.4m X 16 years) is just a drop in the bucket to this guy!

Good Gawd, reports surface that the value of the Canucks went from $342 to $700m

... in ONE year

... and it's just shrugged off.

And any talk of revenue likely generated is met with a bunch of... :look: s.

No one ever puts two and two together.

Ummmmmmmm..... FOUR! :twisted:

No, GAWD NO, let's just run with a rumour a local hack pulled out of his ASS.

Yup yup, we'll run with "Aquaman can't afford to buyout Lou!"

Tampa can afford to buyout Lecavalier, Islanders can afford to buyout DiPietro

... but your Vancouver Canucks cannot afford to buyout Luongo! :shock:

Seriously, I see this all over the interwebs.

Some guy suggests the Canucks buyout Luongo.

A gazillion guys jump all over him with "Haven't you heard?? Aquaman can't afford to buyout Luongo!"

:roll:

Sigh, Common Sense has been sacrificed at the alter of Trending Right Now.

And never mind the fact that getting rid of the future Recapture Penalty EQUALS MORE CAP SPACE!

EQUALS A BETTER TEAM IN THE FUTURE!!

EQUALS MORE PROFITS AND A HIGHER FRANCHISE VALUE!!!

Anyway, where the hell was I...

Oh yeah I was about to open another bottle of wine. :blush:

I apologize for my disgusting condition and I assure you I will not inflict myself on you any further....
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

lol - Aquaman can afford to buy out Lou and the 3rd and 4th line and still make money over the next 10 years.

Canucks print money at each game with some of the highest prices in the league. I was taken to a game 2 weeks ago and the 4 tickets were worth over $1,200.00 plus food and beer about $50 (we ate before going in but still need snacks).

Watered down beer are $7.50 each and it is not even a real pint.

The question is not if he can afford to pay Lou it is more if he will do it as who do they have to take over?
Last edited by 2Fingers on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Nah I'd rather buy out the entire team before Luongo.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.