And so it begins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: And so it begins

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well I thnk all Burrows was doing was finishing his check and did not have any intention of a head shot. Yet he got four games. And Hansen was playing the puck and he got like what two?

Then Keith accidentally hit Dank with his stick in the face after threatening to take his fucking head off and he got five.

We forget sometimes these are pro athletes, they know what they are doing. The two accidents in my book were Kassian on Gagne, careless use of his stick, and Hansen on Hosa. Those got seriously punished.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:
Zedlee wrote:
Impossible. No league can ban headshots.
Sure the league could.

They could start by banning elbows and fists to the head. It would be really simple, actually.

The problem is, fans would piss and moan about changing the game too much. Fans absolutely love the physical side of pro hockey.
Agreed. If they really wanted to ban head shots then you make any contact with the head illegal. You do it for something stupid like shooting a puck over the boards from your own D zone. It is simple. On any play if any part of your body or equipment comes into contact with any part of an opposing players head/face it's an automatic two minutes. That includes a goalie when he is down trying to grab a puck. You just eliminate it.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Agreed. If they really wanted to ban head shots then you make any contact with the head illegal. You do it for something stupid like shooting a puck over the boards from your own D zone. It is simple. On any play if any part of your body or equipment comes into contact with any part of an opposing players head/face it's an automatic two minutes. That includes a goalie when he is down trying to grab a puck. You just eliminate it.
Absolutely. The league has banned stupid shit like having a baby toe in the crease and shooting the puck over the glass by accident. Accidental high sticking is illegal. Accidental tripping is illegal. Accidental checking from behind is illegal. Accidental checking to the head could be illegal too.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Is this the way to go?

(add a face shield?)

Just asking.

Yeah, we don't want our really really really ridiculously rich athletes to risk life & limb.

(& head)

I heard they are looking into ways of getting rid of the ice and the boards.

Because, after all....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote:
I heard they are looking into ways of getting rid of the ice and the boards.

Because, after all....
And lose all of that advertising revenue?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: And lose all of that advertising revenue?
Well they could advertise on the carpet + mattresses.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:
Cornuck wrote: And lose all of that advertising revenue?
Well they could advertise on the carpet + mattresses.
Don't forget jerseys.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

And helmet space!

That's a lot of helmet space right there amirite? :mrgreen:

WIN-WIN
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Your helmet combined with these bumper balls and the future is safe. :lol:

"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Strangelove wrote:Yeah, we don't want our really really really ridiculously rich athletes to risk life & limb.

(& head)
Agreed that at some point the risk of head injuries becomes a reasonable risk of playing hockey.

That being said, the league has to take reasonable precautions to protect the health and safety of their employers.

Has the NHL gotten to a level of reasonability on head injuries?

Maybe. I don't know. I mean they still allow players to punch each other in the heads. They allow checks to the head (to a certain degree). Reasonability is subjective. I personally think they could do better without drastically changing the game, but when your eyes open in the morning and you're still alive the risk of getting injured exists. People get head injuries playing basketball, soccer, baseball, slipping on the sidewalk, so at some point the risk becomes just a fact of sports.