And so it begins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

And so it begins

Post by Topper »

Ten former NHL players launched a law suite against the league due to long term effects of concussions and the league's lack of action to prevent head injuries.

It was only a matter of time before this hit the NHL offices after the continuing saga in the NFL.

Note the NFL settle at $765 million with several former players. Many criticized the deal as being too low, but many of the players involved wanted compensation for their families now, not at sometime in the distant future. It was rumoured that had the players not accepted settlement, the league would have attempted to have each players case heard separately as the circumstances of each players injury differs. This would have made the players have to prove their injuries were sustain while playing in the NFL and not during their previous high school and college careers. few of the players had the time or pocket depth for such a fight.

Former NHL players sue league over concussions
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: And so it begins

Post by Arachnid »

Apparently, Glen Anderson was behind them...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I wonder when other players will inevitably join in on the class action suit. :?:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
volsungr
CC Veteran

Post by volsungr »

What financial shape are these men in both NHL/NFL. I am sure some of these people are having real problems with headachs and symptoms, but how many are just getting in for what can I get out of this? How many people think you can play a contact sport your whole life and not have some sort of problems as you get older. Not all players are having big problems and had concussions during thier careers, but we have seen some careers ended due to concussions.

Tom
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

You know Steve Moore and his lawyers are just waiting for the outcome of the Bertuzzi litigation before they jump on this bandwagon.

You have to wonder if/when the Lindros brothers sign on to this one. Maybe mummy and daddy told them to stand pat for now... :roll:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Arachnid wrote:Apparently, Glen Anderson was behind them...
As the old saying goes, behind every good man, is a good neighborhood coordinator. ;)
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The Brown Knight wrote:
As the old saying goes, behind every good man, is a good neighborhood coordinator. ;)
LOL, how's your health insurance?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Topper wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
LOL, how's your health insurance?

Not too bad my friend, not too bad.

The good folks over at Ryerson take splendid care of me. 8-)

p.s._________Topper, I want your opinion in my other thread. I think the Canucks should start playing similarly to their 2006/2007 style of hockey........or atleast developing a similar mindset. Use Kesler and Burrows as shut down guys that can potentially score on turnovers a la Mike Richards Mike Peca style. Don't use them in "offense first" primary roles.

p.p.s.__________I think the players lawsuit of the NHL is dumb and unfounded, but I hope they win since I do not like Gary Bettman and the NHL head office.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

At least the NHL hasn't engaged in a massive Philip-Morris esque cover-up of brain injuries like the NFL did for decades.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It would be an interesting statistical study to find out if the rate of concussions differs greatly between the NHL and the European leagues, including the KHL. Those leagues have no tolerance for hits to the head and fighting is not encouraged.

Per, get on this.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Did anybody even know what a concussion was 20 years ago?

It's only been the past few years when CTE became a reality that anybody gave two shits about concussions. The only time anybody cared about concussions prior to that was when stars (Young, Aikman) were affected.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Maybe somewhere in this lawsuit the extremely inconsistent and biased discipline that the NHL hands down can be addressed.

Make that the focus of the suit, there is more than enough video evidence, and the NHL will really lose money if it goes to jury trial/class action.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

The real fall out will occur when the ex-players sue the NHL for not warning them of future repurcussions from shoulder injuries
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Mëds wrote:Maybe somewhere in this lawsuit the extremely inconsistent and biased discipline that the NHL hands down can be addressed.

Make that the focus of the suit, there is more than enough video evidence, and the NHL will really lose money if it goes to jury trial/class action.
Yeah sure and maybe the players can get some money back from Alan Eagleson while they're at it. :roll:
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Tack on another 200... my head is spinning.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-conc ... 0-players/
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.