Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Knucklehead
CC Veteran

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Post by Knucklehead »

RyanGinger wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:I'm going to put on my Brian Burke hat on here for a second:

Keep in mind, I am NOT a 100% advocate of what I am about to suggest, but am merely thinking outloud.

What if you moved both Shinkaurk and Horvat in separate deals (packaged with other prospects/picks) for TWO immediate impact players? (Either two prolific top 6 forwards or one prolific top 6 winger and one prolific top 4 d-man).

Deal #1: Shinkaruk, Booth, 1st for ???

Deal #2: Horvat, Burrows, etc., for ???

A full blown "bare the cupboards" approach for immediate gratification over the next few years.

We go right after the cup with the risk of being utter shite like Edmonton and Calgary have been for so many years.
Keep in mind Booth brings small value. Also, I would never trade Bo, Shink, or Burr, and I highly doubt they will be traded buuuuuut.. Im kinda bored :)

#1a: Shinkaruk, Booth, 1st, FOR Ryan Johansen, a 1st (CLBs 1st would be top 15 probably) and a Conditional 2nd if Johansen doesn't resign.

#1b: Shinkaruk, Booth, 1st, FOR Wayne Simmonds and a 1st (Phillys 1st would be top 10 probably)

#2: Horvat, Burrows, Tanev FOR Evander Kane and a Conditional 3rd if Kane doesn't pot 25+ goals

The bolded would be insanity.

I think we make a small deal or just wait for next year when one or two of Horvat, Shinkaruk or Gaunce are ready. Hell Cassels may even be ready for a third or fourth line role.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Exactly. Just do not have the confidence in Mikey Gillis to re-jig us back. I have complete confidence in him continuing with his useless tinkerings in the mean nothing bottom 6 category that will not re-jig us back to elite-ville. He needs to make like Dougie Wilson and make that Brent Burns trade, have a few successful draft picks, like Hertl, Nieto, Wingels. Otherwise he will not be able to make like Dougie Wilson and re-jig us back to where Dougie returned to.
Just a quick standings update on the team currently being run into the ground by your previous GM crush.. Paul Holmgren's Flyers have improved markedly to .500 over their last ten games but are still chasing Columbus in the Eastern Conference race.. Columbus being the team ol' Bold Moves Holmgren traded a starting goaltender and a first line forward to.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

As for the "we should have got more for Schneider" argument, I don't see how adding another third line center helps us out all that much. We'd be better than we are now but clearly guys like Santorelli and Richardson are capable of centering adequate third lines (especially on a team with a plethora of strong two-way forwards like ours).

Our problem is a. a lack of cap space (we couldn't have accomodated Henrique without moving other players anyway) and b. a lack of top six forwards (which apparently Henrique is not? I don't know, either he is the player the Devils think he is and they probably don't want to give him up, or he's not and that contract is awful for a third liner).

What would really have been a nice "extra" to get in a Schneider deal (especially from a team with oodles of cap space and in need of top nine forwards) would have been the right to dump David Booth.. but that is 20/20 hindsight at its finest.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Acquire a veteran 2nd line center whose under contract this season and next who has a deadly shot and can pass, with the plan that Horvat can center the 3rd line next season, then under the tutelage of that 2nd line center, BoHo can learn and then move up into the 2nd line center spot in the 2015-16 season.

And just to bug RD acquire Matthias to solidify the 3rd line or Ott, they would be perfect to play beside Horvat next season as they are big players who can play center and wing.

:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote:Acquire a veteran 2nd line center whose under contract this season and next who has a deadly shot and can pass, with the plan that Horvat can center the 3rd line next season, then under the tutelage of that 2nd line center, BoHo can learn and then move up into the 2nd line center spot in the 2015-16 season.

And just to bug RD acquire Matthias to solidify the 3rd line or Ott, they would be perfect to play beside Horvat next season as they are big players who can play center and wing.

Getting said player may well cost Gillis Horvat. Nice try though.

I'm wondering if Gillis doesn't just go with the roster he has (barring a trade of opportunity), and aim for next season when the cap goes up and they have a better idea of what kids may fill what holes.

Not saying he should, but there are a lot of teams up against the cap and the assets available for what Gillis can afford (barring players voiding their NTCs) is slim and more akin to garbage than gold.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Lancer wrote:
SKYO wrote:Acquire a veteran 2nd line center whose under contract this season and next who has a deadly shot and can pass, with the plan that Horvat can center the 3rd line next season, then under the tutelage of that 2nd line center, BoHo can learn and then move up into the 2nd line center spot in the 2015-16 season.

Getting said player may well cost Gillis Horvat. Nice try though.

I'm wondering if Gillis doesn't just go with the roster he has (barring a trade of opportunity), and aim for next season when the cap goes up and they have a better idea of what kids may fill what holes.

Not saying he should, but there are a lot of teams up against the cap and the assets available for what Gillis can afford (barring players voiding their NTCs) is slim and more akin to garbage than gold.

Add to that that they still have one compliance buy out. To use should they wish, I thinking about 4.25 million here. But I think you sum up the situation accurately. Be patient for this season and have the money in the off season to make some changes.mgiven our scoring woes i would love to see us get that BoHunter guy :mrgreen: into the line up next year and let them get their feet wet and take a run for the Rookie of the year award.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Are folks lamenting the fact the Canucks didn't keep one or two of Bo, Shank, Gaunce?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Are folks lamenting the fact the Canucks didn't keep one or two of Bo, Shank, Gaunce?
I'm not, really...

Unless they went on a tear early in the season, they wouldn't get much playing time and there are players ahead of them on the roster.

The kids need playing time to develop, and better that they get it in Junior (while possibly getting experience playing in the WJHC) than riding the pine up with the big club. Ideally, you'd want them in Utica, but rule are the rules.

Besides, it'll give Shink some more time to get muscle on his frame, Bo more time to hone his offensive game, and Gaunce to work on his skating and pace. They'll be better-positioned to compete for a spot next year than last September.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:Are folks lamenting the fact the Canucks didn't keep one or two of Bo, Shank, Gaunce?

I am. Dalpe and Welsh have done nothing. Booth is still a bust with all the promise all but gone. Sestito is Sestito. I want something to be excited about and Donnie just doesn't hang here enough anymore for me to be excited.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

It’s easy to say the grass would be greener with Horvat, Shinkaruk and/or Gaunce around. The Twitter commentators were abuzz last night after Nishushkin scored in the first period. Of course, had that been a Canuck prospect scoring only their second goal in 19 games Canuck nation would have been out in full force condemning our GM for making a shitty draft pick and bringing him up too early.

One thing is for certain, I am finding it hard to get excited about this group these days and sooner rather than later we need a handful of exciting young prospects in the lineup to keep people interested, not to mention keep the team competitive.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I am. Dalpe and Welsh have done nothing. Booth is still a bust with all the promise all but gone. Sestito is Sestito. I want something to be excited about and Donnie just doesn't hang here enough anymore for me to be excited.
While Donny never did much for me, I agree that one of the mentioned would have been entertaining. Start the season at 3-6 minutes a game and graduate to 8-10 by February.

Would have been especially interesting given the recent injuries.

We could have had the regular Golum bedwetters crying about lack of ice time/second unit PP duty/ofensive players don't need defensive development .... and all the other bullshit they whine about.

Clam would crack a valve over BoHo in the shootout vs CS. LOL.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So what 3rd line shut down centre with limited offensive skill will Mike Gillis get for the bottom 6 to shake things up? Being that our PP is 28th in the league, I say he gets Matthias and his 2 goals and minus-5. Another Panther reclamation project.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Ya, one would think that Gillis would live a little more dangerously than the typical, painfully cautious, slow and methodical dude that he is and followed up on his promise that "we are not going to cook our kids on the farm anymore". ya know, try something a little different, like ballsier, than constantly going down the journeyman, reclamation project route. Kind of like Dougie Wilson and the Sharks creating an environment for young kids like Hertl and Nieto to excel in.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Should the Canucks tank it and put themselves in a position to draft Vancouver raised Sam Reinhart?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I have some deadly weed for you dude. I will comp you a quarter just so you mellow the fuck out and shut the fuck up. We will consider it medicinal consumption
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”