Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Post by Boston Canucker »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:Apparently Erat wants out of Washington. He makes 4.5 this year and next. Booth makes 4.25 this year and next. There is probably no deal there b/c Booth is likely untradeable but if Erat puts up enough of a stink, who knows. Two teams trade their problems, see what happens. A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. Anyway, probably won't happen, but just trying to figure out some way to get Booth gone and maybe add someone with offensive potential in return.
Good thought, but I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to take on Booth's contract (i.e. Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore :-p).
True enough. Freaking McPhee gave up Filip Forsberg for Erat, and now the dude wants out cause Oates isn't playing him much. What a dopey trade. It's onlyu b/c Booth is such a disaster that Erat could be an upgrade in a no-lose situation. Anyway, it's a long shot to be sure...
dbr
CC Legend

Re: Rinne and Weber

Post by dbr »

The Brown Knight wrote:I'm about to go waaaaay out to lunch here on a hail Mary, but here goes:

Do you think both Rinne and Weber could be had from Nashville as part of a packaged deal for the right price?

Like Luongo, Kesler, Edler, Horvat, Shinkaruk.

We blow up our farm and get rid of some essential core pieces, but we would have a franchise defenseman and franchise goaltender locked up for all eternity.
Rinne, Weber and a guy making the league minimum combine for a higher cap hit than Kesler, Edler and Luongo.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Because adding a player like Evander Kane is much more realistic....

Like it or not, Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss and David Legwand are all classified as top 6 forwards. So is Derek Roy.

Everyone wants a quick fix but nobody wants to acknowledge reality. If you feel that we are close, there are only so many top 6 forwards in this league that are available and those forwards are either underperforming based on their contract, on a shitty team or old. Want a top 6 forward that IS producing? Then we have to pony up someone that is also producing (which is nobody btw). Want a young guy? Prepare to overpay.

Erat is intriguing. Languished in Nashville's smothering D system for the longest time and now the odd man out in Washington. I still like Tuomo Ruutu.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Rinne and Weber

Post by The Brown Knight »

dbr wrote: Rinne, Weber and a guy making the league minimum combine for a higher cap hit than Kesler, Edler and Luongo.
True.

It's a slow day and I know I'm talking out of my arse here. :P

In all honesty though, I would offer all three of Kesler, Edler, and Luongo for Rinne and Weber. Hell - I'd probably add in a high end draft pick as well.

If we had Rinne and Weber for those three, we'd arguably have one of the Top 3 bluelines and Top 3 goalies in the league.

Burrows goes back to playing with the twins.

Over the next 18-24 months, if Horvat and Shinkaruk become impact players, we would have a new formiddable second line.

Twins and Burrows on line 1, Shinky and Bo on line 2, a Weber lead defense, and Rinne in net.

A team like that would be competitive would they not?

Meh - moot point anyways. Like I said.....slow day.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

mathonwy wrote:Want a top 6 forward that IS producing? Then we have to pony up someone that is also producing (which is nobody btw).
Kesler isn't on par with what he was a few years ago in 2011, but he's put up some decent numbers this year I think.

Proposing Kesler and 1st would undoubtedly turn some heads......and I'm not talking about the head above the neck either.

I'm not sure why Shea Weber popped into my head this morning, but he's one guy I'm interested in if Nashville is game.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

mathonwy wrote:Because adding a player like Evander Kane is much more realistic....

Like it or not, Olli Jokinen, Stephen Weiss and David Legwand are all classified as top 6 forwards. So is Derek Roy.

Everyone wants a quick fix but nobody wants to acknowledge reality. If you feel that we are close, there are only so many top 6 forwards in this league that are available and those forwards are either underperforming based on their contract, on a shitty team or old. Want a top 6 forward that IS producing? Then we have to pony up someone that is also producing (which is nobody btw). Want a young guy? Prepare to overpay.

Erat is intriguing. Languished in Nashville's smothering D system for the longest time and now the odd man out in Washington. I still like Tuomo Ruutu.
Hear hear!! :thumbs:

Can't really see a Kane deal done this season unfortunately, as they'd probably want Edler, UNLESS they would settle for a young players type of package for a retool/semi rebuild, like Kassian, Tanev + 1st.
Similar to that Bobby Ryan trade where the Sens traded Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen + 1st.

But that's a little too big time for Mike Gillis, more realistic options that are in the "blockbuster" MG ballpark are for players such as Jokinen, Ruutu or Bourque.

Where Booth(capreasons) + Hansen would suffice for Ruutu(25% salary retained) or now Erat!

Jokinen would be superb for centering the 2nd line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Hear hear!! :thumbs:

Can't really see a Kane deal done this season unfortunately, as they'd probably want Edler, UNLESS they would settle for a young players type of package for a retool/semi rebuild, like Kassian, Tanev + 1st.
Similar to that Bobby Ryan trade where the Sens traded Jakob Silfverberg, Stefan Noesen + 1st.

But that's a little too big time for Mike Gillis, more realistic options that are in the "blockbuster" MG ballpark are for players such as Jokinen, Ruutu or Bourque.

Where Booth(capreasons) + Hansen would suffice for Ruutu(25% salary retained) or now Erat!

Jokinen would be superb for centering the 2nd line.
Agreed on a Kane deal, as much as I have shotgunned that idea of late, I don't think Kane goes anywhere right now. WInterpeg will need a good return, and unless they are willing to take picks and prospects, it will probably mean a player has to waive his NTC.....I can't see many top NHL players actually wanting to go play in WInnipeg.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Boston Canucker wrote:Apparently Erat wants out of Washington. He makes 4.5 this year and next. Booth makes 4.25 this year and next. There is probably no deal there b/c Booth is likely untradeable but if Erat puts up enough of a stink, who knows. Two teams trade their problems, see what happens. A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. Anyway, probably won't happen, but just trying to figure out some way to get Booth gone and maybe add someone with offensive potential in return.
Good thought, but I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to take on Booth's contract (i.e. Mike Milbury isn't a GM anymore :-p).
Unfortunately - Erat is actually only paid something like 2.5 million next year, where Booth is paid around 4.25 million. I would think if this trade were made, we would be either forced to retain salary - or send a pick over. Some gravy would be needed to grease those skids.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Boston Canucker wrote: A buyout in the summer could be used on Erat for only slightly more than Booth, no real difference. A
Actually there's quite a difference in buying out these two players.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculator

Especially when you factor in Compliance vs Regular.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote:Because adding a player like Evander Kane is much more realistic....

Whoa, whoa, whoa, settle down there chief. Roy is certainly not top 6 worthy. If he was we'd certainly would have given up more than we did for him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Nashville kicked arse on the Erat/Forsberg trade. Never been an Erat fan.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

who cares, dudster... :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote:Nashville kicked arse on the Erat/Forsberg trade. Never been an Erat fan.
Yeah, Forsberg could be the new Forsberg... :wink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I vote in favour of building this team for next season.

Solidify the 3rd line, much to the dismay of RD, by adding yet another 3rd liner in Matthias.

Need to trade Booth for a one year rental for this season.

Hansen for Matthias.

Offseason sign Vanek to a big contract. (Where Mike Gillis & Gilman shine in signing contracts)

2014/15 season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Vanek - Kesler - Higgins/Shinkaruk
Matthias - Horvat - Kassian (IF Horvat is not ready then slide Matthias back to center)
Sestito - Richardson - Weise
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.