Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGI

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote:Good answer. - LOL

Watching the young guys on Dallas and Florida the last couple of games gets me thinking of BoHo, Shank and Gaunce and I shiver with antici........ PATION!
I agree, I have not said anything different. They need a plan for the young guys and not all of them need 1 - 2 more years in junior and then 2 - 3 years in AHL.

Each player is different and need to brought along based upon their development.

I also think Cassels shows some potential.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:I like Burrows and what he brings to the team, I also think his current funk will get sorted, but I believe he is on the downwind leg of his career and the time was ripe before signing him to his current deal.
I like Burrows too, but you have to give to get. He's in a horrible slump right now, but he'll get through that and get back to being a productive player. Burrows could have gotten us that young center we need right now.

IMO Hansen is capable of bringing close to what Burrows has the past few years at a lower age and price.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Hansen-Kesler-Burrows = Potential best shutdown line in hock

Post by The Brown Knight »

Hansen-Kesler-Burrows = Potential best shutdown line in hockey?

Since Kesler and Burrows aren't really putting the puck in the net, why not play them together with Hansen (when Hansen returns) and let them be a shutdown line that can possibly score on turnovers?

I don't think it's farfetched at all to assume that if these guys played together, they could be one of the best shut down lines in the NHL.

Richardson and Santorelli anchor the 3rd line with Higgins.

Kassian or Booth plays with the twins. The one who is NOT playing the with twins, goes to the 4th line and adds a bit of depth to the 4th line (as lackluster as both Kassian and Booth have been, they are better than 4th line players and we'd have an advantage down there if either of those guys played against 4th liners).

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Hansen-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Richardson-Santorelli
Sestito-Welsh-RoyalBooth
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Topper
CC Legend

Re: Hansen-Kesler-Burrows = Potential best shutdown line in

Post by Topper »

The Brown Knight wrote:Hansen-Kesler-Burrows = Potential best shutdown line in hockey?

Since Kesler and Burrows aren't really putting the puck in the net, why not play them together with Hansen (when Hansen returns) and let them be a shutdown line that can possibly score on turnovers?
Last night, wasn't too dark because of the moon, Jannik played his second game since returning from injury and scored Vancouver's second goal.

buttt carry on........
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Lol, dammit Topper.

Yes, you are correct.

But still........they should play Hansen-Kesler-Burrows for the reasons that I stated.

In fact - if I was Tortorella, I'd start creating more solidified couples.

Twins obviously will play together. Kesler and Burrows on line number 2, and Santorelli/Richards for line number 3.

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I like the way Kassian is playing and I am all for getting him with the twins for an extended look. Like the balance that way too.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:Good answer. - LOL

Watching the young guys on Dallas and Florida the last couple of games gets me thinking of BoHo, Shank and Gaunce and I shiver with antici........ PATION!
Love the enthusiasm Topper, but don't get your hopes up to high in thinking our kids will match Floridas - Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, Gudbranson and company. Horvat is the only one I would say has the chance to be lumped in with that crowd. Like Shink, but with his slight frame he is gonna have a difficult time playing his style of game in the NHL.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Hockey Widow wrote:I like the way Kassian is playing and I am all for getting him with the twins for an extended look. Like the balance that way too.
I agree with this.

And as you said, it gives our team some depth by default.

It allows Richardson and Santorelli to not be forced to overextend themselves, and I genuinely do think that a Hansen-Kesler-Burrows line would be one of the best shut down lines in hockey.......while also having the ability to score goals on turnovers, etc.

Think back to the start of 2008/2009 when Hansen-Kesler-Burrows played in that type of role.........meant to be purely a defensive role, but still scored a number of goals anyways......where offense was NOT the primary focus.

Richardson and Santorelli.......Same mindset. Just do it on the 3rd line. Like the Kesler/Burrows line, I almost think that a line like this will be MORE successful offensively, if offense is not made to be their primary focus ( which is why I believe that we saw some success from both Santorelli and Richardson in this regard earlier this season).

Another thing I'm interested in trying out..........create a police line. Sestito, Kassian, and Weise when he comes back.

What's left? The Sedin twins........and RoyalBooth of course. ;) Although Booth isn't deserving, why not play him with the twins and see if the twins can get him going? It gives the Canucks a different look, and again, it gives our team "depth by default" since our stronger wingers will be in other lines.

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:I like the way Kassian is playing
Huh?

We are turning into Edmonton Oiler fans, lowering our standards "Oh that was a good loss. Lots of positives to be taken from that"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Mondi, Matthias may not be an impact player but do you not think giving up like a 2nd and 3rd round pick like Gillis gave up for Bernier is what will make us Legit? A Derek Roy type trade
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Hey Mondi, Matthias may not be an impact player but do you not think giving up like a 2nd and 3rd round pick like Gillis gave up for Bernier is what will make us Legit? A Derek Roy type trade
Folks, he may not be arguing against anything that any real person actually thinks.... but these are the only arguments RoyalDude can win.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Mondi wrote:Q: Are the Canucks an "impact" forward away from being LEGIT?

A: No.
Probably depends on what 'an "impact" forward' actually is.

If this team could somehow add a Kopitar, Malkin, Toews, actual impact player - or even a guy from the next tier, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter types - at the one position where we need help the most? I'd say that would put them in the top tier of this league.

If we're talking about the type of "impact" player that's going to be available.. a Cammalleri, Gaborik, Hemsky, Legwand type who a. isn't a first line calibre player most nights and b. either doesn't play a position where we need help or does but doesn't have the high end ability we don't have enough of.... then no, adding that type of player is not going to put us over the top. They might give us enough of a boost that we can hang with the big dogs but wouldn't make us a shoo-in for anything.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Mondi wrote:Short of Crosby, or Toews the Canucks are not one impact forward short of being legit.

If the Canucks trade someone like Gaunce for Cammalleri, I'll be disappointed but not surprised.

Gillis' track record with respect deadline acquisitions has been spotty. I like the Higgins pickup though.
Completely agree.

As far as Cammalleri goes, I do not like the idea of getting him at ALL (unless we're giving away ONLY Booth and a shit round pick).

The Dark Indian Rises
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Seems pretty simple, trade players who don't have a NTC to acquire proven scoring talent to get this core the help it needs.

Just like what Cup championship teams do like the Blackhawks, Bruins and Kings those teams general managers traded key pieces (doesn't have to be top prospects) for their teams needs to get over the hump.

Got a solid core of the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Luongo.
Then we have a whole slew of 3rd liners and plugs surrounding them.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Mondi wrote:Short of Crosby, or Toews the Canucks are not one impact forward short of being legit.

If the Canucks trade someone like Gaunce for Cammalleri, I'll be disappointed but not surprised.

Gillis' track record with respect deadline acquisitions has been spotty. I like the Higgins pickup though.
Completely agree.

As far as Cammalleri goes, I do not like the idea of getting him at ALL (unless we're giving away ONLY Booth and a shit round pick).
I like Cammellari. Great shot, has speed, known for his conditioning, smaller than average but plays above his weight class. Hes a better shooter than most of our guys. He lost his game a little when the brilliance of Flames management brought in a pure sniper to be Iginla's setup man, but hes the kind of guy I could see mixing well with Kassian who is getting better at protecting the puck and has shown some game sense as a pick carrying power forward who likes to draw traffic and then be the setup man.

Cammellari will also be taking a salary haircut next time around. If you could get Cammellari for Booth and Schroeder and a pick it's worth it.