Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Diehard1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.


Yep, have to get younger somehow and the twins will be here until they retire. Kes won't be a lifelong Canuck, at least I don't think he will. People get way too attached to their players - Linden, Bertuzzi and Naslund were all either traded or allowed to leave and all were better players than Kes.

Just finished watching Horvat play tonight, he's definitely an NHl player. Very smart, knows where to be and doesn't waste energy out there. Has improved his playmaking massively and takes every key faceoff. This guy will replace Kes in a few years.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby mathonwy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.


Who's Tank? Chris Stewart?

You'd give up Kesler for Chris Stewart (who is inconsistent as fuck and defensively retarded) and a first round pick that is likely going to be between picks 25 and picks 30?

I think St. Louis would be the one that would be running after that pile of shit deal.

Couturier is a good young player but Couturier and a first is not enough for Kesler who would give the Flyers some crazy depth down the middle. Would Philly give up any prospects? Not likely as their shitty drafting skills rival that of the Nucks. Maybe Couturier, a first, 2nd and a third?
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby $lacker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:23 am

mathonwy wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.

Who's Tank? Chris Stewart?

You'd give up Kesler for Chris Stewart (who is inconsistent as fuck and defensively retarded) and a first round pick that is likely going to be between picks 25 and picks 30?

I think St. Louis would be the one that would be running after that pile of shit deal.

Couturier is a good young player but Couturier and a first is not enough for Kesler who would give the Flyers some crazy depth down the middle. Would Philly give up any prospects? Not likely as their shitty drafting skills rival that of the Nucks. Maybe Couturier, a first, 2nd and a third?


I think "tank" is Tarasenko... Him and a 1st still not enough. Re Philly would have to be B Schenn, Couturier and 1st to make Gillis consider.
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:33 am

Why is their always a trade scenario involving a Schenn brother in some shape or form like they still matter. Get you asses out of yesterday's failed promises in such prospects

The Schenns are overrated

I like Tarasenko

Wonder if Kesler would like going back to his alma mater in Columbus. Kesler for Johansen and something else?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby mathonwy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:10 am

RoyalDude wrote:Why is their always a trade scenario involving a Schenn brother in some shape or form like they still matter. Get you asses out of yesterday's failed promises in such prospects

The Schenns are overrated

I like Tarasenko

Wonder if Kesler would like going back to his alma mater in Columbus. Kesler for Johansen and something else?


Hey pegleg, Brayden, is having a bit of break out season this year with 32 points so far at age 22. Luke on other hand has been underwhelming to say the least compared to JVR in TO.

Philly I can see trading for Kesler because they're a desperate hockey market. Columbus has no need to trade for Kesler whatsoever. Columbus is chock full of good young players and they don't have a hockey mad market that have unrealistic expectations. Columbus has the luxury of time and you aren't going to get Johansen of that organization.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:26 am

$lacker wrote:
I think "tank" is Tarasenko... Him and a 1st still not enough. Re Philly would have to be B Schenn, Couturier and 1st to make Gillis consider.



Get off the fucking bath salts. Maybe Philly will throwin in Giroux and Simmonds too. Couturier is a very good young player and the 1st from Philly would be mid round. Perhaps they coud sweeten the deal with Robert Hagg or Samuel Morin but no way they give up Couturier and Schenn and a 1st.

I would also take Schwartz instead of Tarasenko but I can't see the Blues doing that.

Maybe the Canucks could throw in Burrows' boat anchor of a contract and get Tarasenko and Berglund + prospect/pick .

Kesler is soon to be 30 and looking at a huge payday in two years. Not money wisely sent tying up 14 - 15 million in two aging centres in Sedin and Kesler.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3166
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby SKYO » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:48 am

Kesler, Tanev, 1st for Shea Weber. (Hank hands over the C after a year of utter dominance by Shea)

Edler for a center, boom - retool fast on the fly.

3am lonely valentines post. fuckyou in advance.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3643
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:53 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
$lacker wrote:
I think "tank" is Tarasenko... Him and a 1st still not enough. Re Philly would have to be B Schenn, Couturier and 1st to make Gillis consider.



Get off the fucking bath salts.



No kidding. An in-his-prime Mike Richards (career .73 PPG) went for Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd. That might be similar to what we can expect for a Ryan Kesler (career .61 ppg). A blue-chip prospect, a big-bodied depth player with some offensive upside and a decent (2nd round) draft pick.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby $lacker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:25 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
$lacker wrote:
I think "tank" is Tarasenko... Him and a 1st still not enough. Re Philly would have to be B Schenn, Couturier and 1st to make Gillis consider.



Get off the fucking bath salts.



No kidding. An in-his-prime Mike Richards (career .73 PPG) went for Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd. That might be similar to what we can expect for a Ryan Kesler (career .61 ppg). A blue-chip prospect, a big-bodied depth player with some offensive upside and a decent (2nd round) draft pick.


Neither of you got the point of my post. I wasn't saying that's what he would go for or what was equal value, my point was that in order to trade Kesler it is going to take a huge OVERPAYMENT in order to make Gillis consider. Otherwise there is no point in trading a 29 yr old top 6 center when we have zero depth in that position... unless Gillis is committed to a 5 year rebuild, which we all know that he and particularly Aquilini are not!
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby The_Pauser » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Kesler's value may be at its highest point it's been at since he won the Selke. I don't know that he will ever get back to scoring 40 goals, nor winning a Selke again so this is probably the best time to trade him. Let's face it, our core isn't going to win a Stanley Cup. We aren't going to win a Cup with the Sedins as the focal point of our offense, and I don't see that Kesler is good enough offensively to lead this team to a Cup either. Might as well sell our valuable "now" assets and pick up some good pieces for the future.
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:56 pm

$lacker wrote:
Neither of you got the point of my post. I wasn't saying that's what he would go for or what was equal value, my point was that in order to trade Kesler it is going to take a huge OVERPAYMENT in order to make Gillis consider. Otherwise there is no point in trading a 29 yr old top 6 center when we have zero depth in that position... unless Gillis is committed to a 5 year rebuild, which we all know that he and particularly Aquilini are not!



Well then Gillis is a shitty GM if needs a huge overpayment just to pull the trigger on a trade involving Ryan Kesler. No GM in his right mind is going to bend over and offer up a payment like you suggested. The point I am making is that this team has hitched its wagon right or wrong to the twins for four more years and 7 million per season. I can't see them coughing up another 7 or 8 million for a 32 year old Kesler which is what he will be when he signs his next contract.

There is good young depth coming through the system at the centre ice postion but the problem is the team doesn't have a good NHL centre between the ages of 21 - 28 unless you consider Zac Dalpe or Jordan Schroeder good players. Sean Couturier is 21 and in his 3rd season. He is going to be a perennial 50- 60 point guy who plays hard, plays good D and will be a solid 2nd line pivot for years to come.

No idea what your point about a five year rebuild is regarding. I am advocating bringing in a good young impact player who can help the team now. Guys like Schwartz, Couturier, Tarasenko, Etem, Silfverberg are what I'm talking about. This team needs to get younger, quicker and better but it doesn't have to be a total tear down of the roster . I am against dealing Kesler for draft picks but people have to realize he is one of the few players on this team that could get good value and speed up the mini rebuild this team needs moving forward.Burrows and Luongo have little to no value. Edler has decent value and likely so does Garrison . That said if i had to put money on a guy who wouldn't be devastated to move on to certain teams #17 is at the top of my list. I can see RK okaying Anaheim, Rangers, St Lou, Chicago, Philly or Detroit, maybe even Hogtown, Washington perhaps. Can't see Boston or Pittsburgh interested.

I shudder if Kesler and Henrik are the top 2 centres on this team in three seasons tripping over their grey beards and chewing up 14 - 15 million in cap space.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3166
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm

The bottom line is this, in two years time Kesler will be a UFA and 31 on the downside of his career. The Sedins wil be 36. Burrows and Bieksa will be 33/34. That era in Canuck hockey? Stick a fork in it, it will be done. Do you think old man American Kesler will want to re-sign here and go through the inevitable growing pains of a rebuild around the new kids on the block - the Horvat crowd? No, he won't. Would not be surprised if he plays out his days back home in Detroit. Which begs the question - why not trade Kesler now while his stock is at its highest when what Chef Boi RD said above regarding Keslers professional short term future as a Canuck is pretty much a guaranteed scenario that will take place

Out
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby ukcanuck » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:53 pm

RoyalDude wrote:The bottom line is this, in two years time Kesler will be a UFA and 31 on the downside of his career. The Sedins wil be 36. Burrows and Bieksa will be 33/34. That era in Canuck hockey? Stick a fork in it, it will be done. Do you think old man American Kesler will want to re-sign here and go through the inevitable growing pains of a rebuild around the new kids on the block - the Horvat crowd? No, he won't. Would not be surprised if he plays out his days back home in Detroit. Which begs the question - why not trade Kesler now while his stock is at its highest when what Chef Boi RD said above regarding Keslers professional short term future as a Canuck is pretty much a guaranteed scenario that will take place

Out

been suggested before...
I wouldn't object depending on who it was coming back...no Barry Pedersons please
User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The bottom line is this, in two years time Kesler will be a UFA and 31 on the downside of his career. The Sedins wil be 36. Burrows and Bieksa will be 33/34. That era in Canuck hockey? Stick a fork in it, it will be done. Do you think old man American Kesler will want to re-sign here and go through the inevitable growing pains of a rebuild around the new kids on the block - the Horvat crowd? No, he won't. Would not be surprised if he plays out his days back home in Detroit. Which begs the question - why not trade Kesler now while his stock is at its highest when what Chef Boi RD said above regarding Keslers professional short term future as a Canuck is pretty much a guaranteed scenario that will take place

Out

been suggested before...


oh ok
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby $lacker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:46 pm

@Blob I think we are mostly on the same page minus the value of Ryan Kesler. I think people sometimes get hung up on the value of prospects. Those guys you mentioned are what teams hope will turn into the Ryan Keslers of the league. We already *have* our Ryan Kesler and he is 29 freaking years old and one of the best two way centers in the league, and you want to want to trade him for Sean freaking Courtier?

I get your point, and I agree that his value is close to as high as it's been, but that's because he's a top 6 center who is 29 and has probably 5 more productive yrs left in him. Whoever wants him is going to have to pay big time, and it's going to take more than a Tarasenko or Courtier in my opinion.
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 2 guests