Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:Acchttp://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Vancouver+Canucks+Mike+Gillis+team+going/9486580/story.html

According to Gillis the team will be alright. There is nothing too much wrong it's all because of in juries.

Seriously, what else could he say?

Besides the injuries, the Canucks are still one or two top-six forwards away from being a playoffs team. :(

I agree publically he should say this but he better not believe it.
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:10 pm

$lacker wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:If we move Luongo to Florida for a decent piece or two or picks I would be glad to see Campbell come back in the deal. He will have two years left at 7.1 million cap. In a full season he still gets close to or just over 50 points.

As you suggest we can the easily afford to trade Edler for a nice return. Campbell provides the PP with an upgrade and buys players like Tanev, Stanton and Corrado two more years to keep developing.

We could end up with a few nice pieces trading those two.

I heard an interesting tidbit today from a friend who has been pretty reliable in the past - said that 4 players have been approached about potentially waiving their NTC and that one has given the green light. When I pressed further he only said that the one that has agreed is not a d-man. HW, have you heard anything to this effect?

I immediately thought Edler at first as he had apparently agreed to go to Detriot, but as this is a forward you have to think it's Kesler or Burrows.

Interesting. I haven't heard anything on this but I will ask around.

So some type of NTC:

Dank
Hank
Kesler
Burrows
Higgins

Bieksa
Hamhuis
Garrison
Edler

Luongo.

4 have been asked, one has given the green light and not a D'man.

You can speculate that perhaps those with modified NTC may haven been asked but I don't really know who has what. One has to be Luongo you would think. Interesting indeed.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby The_Pauser » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:34 pm

My guess is they asked Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Edler. I also bet you Kesler was the one willing to waive (just a hunch, no inside information from me on this).
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:30 pm

The_Pauser wrote:My guess is they asked Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa and Edler. I also bet you Kesler was the one willing to waive (just a hunch, no inside information from me on this).

I'm skeptical, but regardless we can assume nobody would give a blank cheque to Gillis to send them anywhere. Hopefully he can keep a lid on things until the trade actually happens. Also, hopefully he learned from the Luongo nightmare. Find out where your guy is willing to go, and make the deal.

Simply saying "are you willing to waive?" and getting a "yeah" response looks pretty silly when the GM tells you you're going to Columbus and the player backs away from the trade. Then again, Kesler did go to Ohio State (rumour: STARTED) :drink:
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 pm

I find it hard to fathom that they would be looking to trade Kesler unless they were doing a re-build and so far we don't have any evidence of that. As long as you have the twins around you want Kesler around too. I could see then trading one on D and Burrows and Luongo but. I could see a team at the trade deadline wanting Burrows and a D man. Luongo I see as a summer move if it happens. Higgins might garner a return at the deadline but he won't bring back anything to build upon, not compared to what he brings to the club.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby $lacker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:30 am

Hockey Widow wrote:I find it hard to fathom that they would be looking to trade Kesler unless they were doing a re-build and so far we don't have any evidence of that. As long as you have the twins around you want Kesler around too. I could see then trading one on D and Burrows and Luongo but. I could see a team at the trade deadline wanting Burrows and a D man. Luongo I see as a summer move if it happens. Higgins might garner a return at the deadline but he won't bring back anything to build upon, not compared to what he brings to the club.

I agree - it seems hard to imagine trading Kesler without a full on rebuild. If Kes was the one asked to waive and he agreed I would have to think there was a massive overpayment coming back. Kesler is probably the only player on this team that could bring back serious talent, so you never know, MG could be tempted into something.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Rede » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:36 am

$lacker wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I find it hard to fathom that they would be looking to trade Kesler unless they were doing a re-build and so far we don't have any evidence of that. As long as you have the twins around you want Kesler around too. I could see then trading one on D and Burrows and Luongo but. I could see a team at the trade deadline wanting Burrows and a D man. Luongo I see as a summer move if it happens. Higgins might garner a return at the deadline but he won't bring back anything to build upon, not compared to what he brings to the club.

I agree - it seems hard to imagine trading Kesler without a full on rebuild. If Kes was the one asked to waive and he agreed I would have to think there was a massive overpayment coming back. Kesler is probably the only player on this team that could bring back serious talent, so you never know, MG could be tempted into something.

It all depends on the return, I think. If Tampa put a player like Drouin on the table I could see Kesler leaving. Similarly if Nyquist+Smith+Mantha were on the table for Detroit to pick up Edler you have to consider it. Or other guys like Evander Kane/ROR.

There'd be some struggles, but if you can acquire a young core to build around without going full-Oilers Gillis has to cnsider it ...
Rede
CC Veteran

Postby Topper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:51 am

Kesler is the 29 yr old #1 centre on the US Olympic team
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby Lancer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 am

Topper wrote:Kesler is the 29 yr old #1 centre on the US Olympic team

This.

Unless some other GM offers a deal Gillis can't refuse, I can't see him dealing Kesler. You just don't replace a player like him and if put to Torts, he would no doubt want to keep him unless it's a superstar coming back and then you wonder if the playing philosophy isn't going to change as a result. Kesler, alone among the centres on the roster, is type-cast to play Torts' style of play. Trade him and Gillis may as well say, "Yeah, that direction Torts and I wanted to take the team in terms of style of play? Yeah, we're going in a different direction after one year of it."

I would be gob-smacked if such a deal went through...

...and would brace myself for the seasons of rebuilding.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby dbr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 am

Topper wrote:Kesler is the 29 yr old #1 centre on the US Olympic team

I think I hear what you're saying: this team needs to go all-in and do whatever it takes to acquire Patrick Kane.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RoyalDude » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:47 am

Kesler will play in another uniform one day. When this ride is over with this group which will be soon, he will be the first asking for a change of scene. I just don't see this American wanting to hang out in this Canadian city when things get real stale which leads me to this, why wait trading Kesler, his stock is realty high. You could really set the tone of the future without a big step backwards. I see a lot of teams paying big for his services but Gillis better act fast cause he is in the cusp of 30'ville. Trade while he has the 20's still attached to his age, hit a homerun return, why wait? We still have the Sedins to mentor the kids and keep us somewhat respectable setting the off ice work ethic example for the next gen

Out
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Diehard1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:53 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Kesler will play in another uniform one day. When this ride is over with this group which will be soon, he will be the first asking for a change of scene. I just don't see this American wanting to hang out in this Canadian city when things get real stale which leads me to this, why wait trading Kesler, his stock is realty high. You could really set the tone of the future without a big step backwards. I see a lot of teams paying big for his services but Gillis better act fast cause he is in the cusp of 30'ville. Trade while he has the 20's still attached to his age, hit a homerun return, why wait? We still have the Sedins to mentor the kids and keep us somewhat respectable setting the off ice work ethic example for the next gen

Out

I'm of the same mindset - love Kes and everything he brings to the table but he's temporary and I cheer for whoever is on the team. If you can trade him, the twins or anybody else and improve the team long term then you do it. I don't think Kes will be traded but if you are thinking about it this summer is the time to get maximum value for him.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby herb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Kesler won't be traded.
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:11 pm

If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby givemeda411 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.

Not sure where I heard this but the cap is suppose to go as high as $100M over the next 5 years. If this is true then supporting 8 $7M players is doable. Until there are hard facts on this, Gillis should play this year by year. At the moment players like Kesler are hard to find, look....he's centering the American top line. The return should be close to 3 1st Rd picks like the Bobby Ryan trade.
givemeda411
CC Rookie

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat