Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:.

Having said that, I've had a change of heart about Kassian.

A few weeks ago, I would've been all but happy to throw in Kassian for a potential Evander Kane deal, but I am really liking the way that Kassian is coming into his own now.

Call it a gut feeling, but I think Kassian is quite close to breaking out into the player that we want. He's not there yet.......but for the first time since he's been here, I'm seeing something in him.
Don't get your hopes up to high, Kassian is a frustrating project with too engrained laziness to be a consistent force out there, at least not in the short term. I'd have no problem moving Kassian as a part to get Kane. He's exactly what this team needs to get back to elite respectability.

I would do Edler, Shinkaruk, 2014 1st round pick

Kane and Horvat leading the way for the next generation of Canuck hockey. Horvat is the type of centre Kane has been looking for.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: He is also giving serious talk to one of the Leaf blue liners not named JML.
Jake Gardiner and Dion Phaneuf are rumored to be on the market, can't be one of those two.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: He's 5-10 180, the stats pad him at around 5-11 185 in which most people in the know say are quite exaggerated numbers. Shit even Mason Raymond is a giant compared to this kid
http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/03/ ... d-weights/

From the NHL combine: Shinkaruk was 5'10.5 172.5lbs when he was drafted.

Pat Kane was listed at 5'9 160 pounds in his draft year.

The point is, Shinkaruk may be on the small side, but he's not Marty St Louis short. Guys like Kane and Giroux (5'11, 172) are better comparisons.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: He is also giving serious talk to one of the Leaf blue liners not named JML.
Jake Gardiner and Dion Phaneuf are rumored to be on the market, can't be one of those two.

Ya I doubt very much we would look at Dion. Two much coin and would have to give up too much to get a guy who is UFA soon. Gardiner they have always liked but he hasn't't been the same since his concussion. Honestly I don't know who they are kicking the tires on. Maybe they were just taking a look see. They don't seem to be in a panic mode around defence yet. But with Both Edler and Stanton gone for awhile I think they should be getting serious. I like how Weber has played since he has been recalled. Alberts has played well for us on the 5-6 spot in the past but he is still not playing in game shape.

I would be surprised to see a deal between Toronto and the Canucks but Nonis is said to like JS. But JS still has a way to go before his return and the leaves need help at centre like yesterday.
The only HW the Canucks need
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

RoyalDude wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:.

Having said that, I've had a change of heart about Kassian.

A few weeks ago, I would've been all but happy to throw in Kassian for a potential Evander Kane deal, but I am really liking the way that Kassian is coming into his own now.

Call it a gut feeling, but I think Kassian is quite close to breaking out into the player that we want. He's not there yet.......but for the first time since he's been here, I'm seeing something in him.
Don't get your hopes up to high, Kassian is a frustrating project with too engrained laziness to be a consistent force out there, at least not in the short term. I'd have no problem moving Kassian as a part to get Kane. He's exactly what this team needs to get back to elite respectability.

I would do Edler, Shinkaruk, 2014 1st round pick

Kane and Horvat leading the way for the next generation of Canuck hockey. Horvat is the type of centre Kane has been looking for.

I am excited by the idea of having Horvat and Kane anchoring a line for us. (On a side note, if we did make a deal like this, are the Canucks allowed to call up Horvat this season? If the Canucks are playoff bound, getting Horvat some NHL playoff experience might be a good idea).

Edler, Shinkaruk, 2014 pick does seem like an interesting idea.

Only concern I have is Kane's rumored/alleged attitude problem.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Only concern I have is Kane's rumored/alleged attitude problem.
Well, that would only lower Winnipeg's bargaining power. Maybe Kane, playing where he wants to, back home in front of family and friends, his beloved Canucks, instead of somewhere where he doesn't, like Winterpeg, will give him the positive attitude change. Would you be happy working in the frozen tundra?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Ya I doubt very much we would look at Dion. Two much coin and would have to give up too much to get a guy who is UFA soon. Gardiner they have always liked but he hasn't't been the same since his concussion. Honestly I don't know who they are kicking the tires on. Maybe they were just taking a look see. They don't seem to be in a panic mode around defence yet. But with Both Edler and Stanton gone for awhile I think they should be getting serious. I like how Weber has played since he has been recalled. Alberts has played well for us on the 5-6 spot in the past but he is still not playing in game shape.

I would be surprised to see a deal between Toronto and the Canucks but Nonis is said to like JS. But JS still has a way to go before his return and the leaves need help at centre like yesterday.
JS and Corrado for Morgan 'West Van' Reilly

Edler, Shinkaruk, 2014 1st for Evander 'East Van' Kane
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

JS and Corrado for Morgan 'West Van' Reilly

Edler, Shinkaruk, 2014 1st for Evander 'East Van' Kane
Edler OR Shinkaruk and a second for a malcontented Kane seems more palatable
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I wonder how much of Gardiner's salary Nonis would be willing to retain?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Do you guys think Niedderiter-Kesler-Callahan would be a good second line? Not too sure if Nino is a Top 6 guy.

Also, which 3rd line is better: Higgins-Santo-Hansen or Higgins-Santo-Boyes
22-33-17
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RyanGinger wrote:Do you guys think Niedderiter-Kesler-Callahan would be a good second line? Not too sure if Nino is a Top 6 guy.

Didn't you already start an either or thread :mrgreen: just saying.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

RyanGinger wrote:Do you guys think Niedderiter-Kesler-Callahan would be a good second line? Not too sure if Nino is a Top 6 guy.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sexbox 2014-15 will soon be here
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

The Brown Knight wrote:[Having said that, I've had a change of heart about Kassian.

Yeah, I am really pleased with Kassassian too. He's quitely having a pretty good year. He was in Tort's doghouse for a bit, but has quickly worked his way out of it. He came up with a big goal to help the team rally back against the Hawks the other day. He now has 7 goals in like 32 games, that's a pace for like just under 20 goals? Not bad for a guy who pretty much only plays 3rd line minutes with zero PP time.

Even if he never becomes a Lucic, Bertuzzi or Neely, I would keep him around. I think we simply need more big, gritty, tuff guys who can play a meaningful role with the team. If he can become a dependable physical player who can score 15-20 goals consistenly, I'd be happy with him.

Speaking of Neely, I would still luv to see Zack get a few games with the Sedins. There was a big discussion about whether Zack should earn his ice time vs ice time being given to him on this board. When we had Neely, he was basically seen by coaching and managment as a plumber, so he was never really given an offensive role. When Boston acquired him, they gave him a chance to play a big role on the team and he responded to become one of the best power forwards during his day. All I'm saying, how do we know what we have unless we give him a chance to show what he can do? I don't think the Sedins ever really had a big power forward who could play with them ever since they were rookies (ie - Klatt mostly and a lil bit of Linden and Bert). The Sedins are obviously way better now, it'd be nice to see how a young power forward with loads of potential will do with them.

Last point about Kassassian, I noticed that he seems to have a way of busting down the wing and snaping a goal in, a typical classic goal scoring winger. Would luv to see him given a chance to unleash that shot more often. :)

And yeah, there's no way I'd move him right now. Not even for E.Kane.
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Topper wrote:

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sexbox 2014-15 will soon be here
22-33-17
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Didn't you already start an either or thread :mrgreen: just saying.
Got shut down. Shit got weird.
22-33-17