Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby The Brown Knight » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Edler feels expendable because Tanev and Stanton have both played great. I have seen enough of Tanev to be convinced he is the real deal. I keep waiting for Stanton to faulter but he seems yo be the read deal too. But we are one injury away on the back end from being depleted.

I go back and forth regarding trading Edler but I would be in favour of moving him for the right price. A top four D man would garner a big return.

I completely agree with you as far as depth on D goes. A few weeks ago, I was all for the idea of moving a defenseman (Tanev) if it meant him being part of a package for Evander Kane, but my *NEW* stance is that we do not move ANY of Edler, Bieksa, Garrison, Hamhuis, or Tanev, unless it results in a superior defenseman coming back.

I do not like the idea of moving a defenseman for a forward, and then being susceptible to injuries back there as we were in 2008, 2009, and 2011.

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
I luv Buffy. I'd do that trade. He's 1 guy I would overpay for. I'm even willing to offer Edler, Burr + Shinkaruk for him. :D

Lol, dammit Todd. Not this Shinkaruk stuff again. :P Only way I move Shinkaruk and/or Horvat, is if a franchise player is on the table (I.e. Giroux, Weber, etc.). Trust me on Shinkaruk though. The kid is going to be a player. Take great caution if considering moving him.

Also - Royaldude and Isle Nuck slapped some sense into me and so I'm not sure if I'd be willing to bring in ?Buff anymore........which leads me to RyanGinger's comments.

RyanGinger wrote:I'm open to trade Edler, but the Sedins seem to play better with Burrows. Great PK man too.
Where would Edler waive his NTC for though? Some ppl are saying Detroit.

I think the twins Re good enough to ultimately adjust to playing with anyone. I like the strides that Kassian is making and so he should develop into a good fit eventually.

Hopefully, Edler would be willing to go anywhere that isn't a basement dweller.

I've been thinking about this for a lot of today, but I wonder how serious Nashville is in considering moving Weber?

if there is one guy out there that you moved both Horvat and Shinkaruk for, it's Shea Weber.

Can you imagine what our line-up would be like with Weber in there? Dare to dream?

-Sedin's and Kesler up front.
-Luongo and Lack between the pipes.
-Weber anchoring our D.

Our current line-up + Weber. (Assuming that Edler and Burrows are the only two roster player going the other way).

Think a team like that would be set with it's core for the next 3-4 years? (a.k.a. Extended Window).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Diehard1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:12 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:The Canucks will be that much better when they have Burrows on their wing. No coincidence that their production has slowed since they lost someone reliable to play wing. Imagine that line going and the second followed up by a third that is getting better each game.

I also think the third line will be better with JS at centre, once he is back in game shape. And the fourth line will be stronger with Richardson at centre.

Edler feels expendable because Tanev and Stanton have both played great. I have seen enough of Tanev to be convinced he is the real deal. I keep waiting for Stanton to faulter but he seems yo be the read deal too. But we are one injury away on the back end from being depleted.

I go back and forth regarding trading Edler but I would be in favour of moving him for the right price. A top four D man would garner a big return.

I agree and would be looking to move Edler if I was Gillis. He's been awful this year, an absolute train wreck in his own end, and I like the balance with a Weber or another righty in his place. It really screws up Garrison's game playing on the right side, he's much steadier on the left. Tanev has been nothing but a rock for the last couple of seasons, I wouldn't even think of moving him and I like the other three big guys. Stanton is a low event dman and that's what you need in the 6 spot.

I would look to grab a young forward who can play a couple of positions - somebody like Brayden Schenn comes to mind given Philly's glut of centres and need for D.

I would, however, need another lesser dman coming back to cover injuries, as the last thing any of us would want is Alberts playing a regular role. Corrado can cover a right side injury but there's no left side insurance with Edler gone. Perhaps Nicklas Grossmann? He's somewhat expensive but there were rumours that Gillis was interested back in the summer.

Edler has good value as a 27 year old who has put up big points before, and if he can be used to fill a need I'm all for it.

Schenn and Grossmann for Edler plus something small (pick, prospect) works for me.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby SKYO » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Or trade Booth+Hansen for a top 6 LW whose on the block....Vanek?+

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Vanek Kesler Santorelli
Higgins Richardson Kassian
Ses/Welsh Dalpe Weise
SKYO
CC Legend

Postby RyanGinger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:22 am

Right now, I wouldn't want a trade to happen. In a slump or when we're not on a 7-game win-streak is when I'd do something for our top 6. Wouldn't mind not making any top 6 trades this year and trading edler for picks & signing penner and/or callahan in the offseason.

I was checking TSN stats, and almost everyone is 'hot' or has had points in their last 2 games. :mrgreen:
22-33-17
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Postby Diehard1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 am

RyanGinger wrote:Right now, I wouldn't want a trade to happen. In a slump or when we're not on a 7-game win-streak is when I'd do something for our top 6. Wouldn't mind not making any top 6 trades this year and trading edler for picks & signing penner and/or callahan in the offseason.

I was checking TSN stats, and almost everyone is 'hot' or has had points in their last 2 games. :mrgreen:

Why wait until you go through a slump to make a trade? If you can improve the team at any time you should do it. Keep in mind the team has won 6 of their 7 in a row without Edler so it's not like they are missing him.

Trade from a position of surplus to shore up a position of weakness, this should be a no-brainer no matter how your team is playing at the time of the trade.
Diehard1
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Tiger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Diehard1 said :
Why wait until you go through a slump to make a trade? If you can improve the team at any time you should do it. Keep in mind the team has won 6 of their 7 in a row without Edler so it's not like they are missing him.

Agree and if their is a good trade to be made using Edler , make it as soon as possible. Give the "new " guy time to learn the Canucks system and get used to his team mates before the playoffs..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Topper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Seven straight wins and the trade rumour mill continues to run rampant. LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Postby The Brown Knight » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Topper wrote:Seven straight wins and the trade rumour mill continues to run rampant. LOL

Buy low, sell high?

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Topper wrote:Seven straight wins and the trade rumour mill continues to run rampant. LOL

This team still has glaring holes. We have scored a lot of goals lately but against weaker defensive teams with average goaltending. Up against a strong defensive team and with above average goaltending I think we would be still hard pressed to score more than 2 per game. Defensively we are playing very well and are getting above average goaltending. Therefore we still gave the same holes we had when the season stared.

I include Boston in that statement given their injuries and flu.

The team would be better with Richardson centring the 4th line and either a healthy and producing Burrows with the twins or a new top six with them. So I still see us short a third line centre and top six forward. I would hate to give up depth on D but packaging a bunch of bottom 9 players in hopes of filling our needs is wishful thinking.

So my hope is either MG does nothing or goes big.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby RyanGinger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Wonder if Penner would sign here for around 3.7m. That'd be some nice size and skill.
22-33-17
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Postby The Brown Knight » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:14 pm

RyanGinger wrote:Wonder if Penner would sign here for around 3.7m. That'd be some nice size and skill.

No for Penner.

The guy has padded stats due to playing with Getzlaf and Perry.

Penner does play reasonably well come playoff time, but is a notorious floater during the regular season.

It's no coincidence that both the Oilers and Kings dumped him.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby RyanGinger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:32 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:
RyanGinger wrote:Wonder if Penner would sign here for around 3.7m. That'd be some nice size and skill.

No for Penner.

Penner does play reasonably well come playoff time, but is a notorious floater during the regular season.

What if we played him with Kes and gave him PP time with the twins? He could probably pot 20. Starting to regret proposing 3.7m tho
22-33-17
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Postby RyanGinger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:35 pm

RyanGinger wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:

No for Penner.

What if we played him with Kes and gave him PP time with the twins? He could probably pot 20. Starting to regret proposing 3.7m tho
Sign Callahan for 5m as well as Penner for 2.5-3.5m and you got a Top6 of

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Penner-Kesler-Callahan
22-33-17
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Postby RyanGinger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:39 pm

Off-topic, but Hansen's NTC is gonna kick in, so if we were to trade him could we after the POs but before his NTC years begin?
22-33-17
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Postby Vader » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Meds wrote:
Vader wrote:
Meds wrote:Why is everyone so high on Vanek?

He has only scored 40 goals twice in his career.

He is barely a point per game player......far from it actually.

Because it's not 1989 anymore - Vanek has put excellent numbers in THIS era of hockey..
This is as bad as your take on Claude Giroux

Only two 40 goal seasons- sheesh - barely a point game. Where do you get this shit?

Ummmm......I look at stats and trends......just consider Vanek's production since he entered the league.

Ummm...clearly you don't look very closely to stats and trends. You need to consider his scoring relative to the overall scoring in the league

In the past 7 years on an adjusted basis he's been top 5 in the NHL in goals three times and top 15 six times. His rookie year was excellent as well- 25 goals.
Attachments
Vanek.jpg
Vanek.jpg (38.74 KiB) Viewed 105 times
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat