Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Jovocop »

ClamRussel wrote:Scott Thornton to....the Canucks???
I hope not, Scott announced his retirement in 2008. Anyway, I would say no to Shawn Thornton as well...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya Shawn said he loves Benning and his family and if he comes calling he would have a talk. Over Sestito I'd take him but gawd not both on the team.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Thanks Jovo, I'm behind on my Thorntons.

I'll take him on our 4th line any day and we will be rolling 4. You've gotta be able to play.
I don't mind him and Sestito there, as long as they're not on the 3rd and Tom actually trains this summer.
Richardson in the middle. If we could land Torres instead of Tom even better. I'd rather have a speedy hitter but Tom did improve last season.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote:Over Sestito I'd take him but gawd not both on the team.
...unless...the plan is to go "all in" on landing a top pick in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes...for which I am and have been a proponent to for over a year now ;)
If you need air...call it in
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Over Sestito I'd take him but gawd not both on the team.
...unless...the plan is to go "all in" on landing a top pick in the Connor McDavid sweepstakes...for which I am and have been a proponent to for over a year now ;)
We seem well positioned for that...all we need to do is trade Kesler...but we should have kept Torts & Booth so doesn't look like its going to happen.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Bringing in our top young 'uns for a mistake filled rookie season...coupled with sketchy goaltending...
Add a dash of goonery and pinch of declining sedinery...

Yeah I'm thinking were still on track
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

ClamRussel wrote:[Shawn] Thornton to....the Canucks???

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shaw ... r-canucks/
It was in one of his first interviews as the president of the Canucks, on Hockey Night in Canada, that Trevor Linden referenced Shawn Thornton unprompted.

“Look at the Boston model,” Linden said. “Thornton, a fourth-line guy, but such an important guy on that team. That’s what makes teams.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ufa- ... -addition/
If the Canucks want to follow the "Boston Model" it does not make sense to sign a player that they are letting walk because he doesn't fit their "model".
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

vic wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:[Shawn] Thornton to....the Canucks???

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/shaw ... r-canucks/
It was in one of his first interviews as the president of the Canucks, on Hockey Night in Canada, that Trevor Linden referenced Shawn Thornton unprompted.

“Look at the Boston model,” Linden said. “Thornton, a fourth-line guy, but such an important guy on that team. That’s what makes teams.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ufa- ... -addition/
If the Canucks want to follow the "Boston Model" it does not make sense to sign a player that they are letting walk because he doesn't fit their "model".
I'm wondering if they are trying to follow the Montreal model now...
I think ST would be a decent addition but wouldn't do much for the big picture. Maybe help keep the rookies from getting thrown around in the corners?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Thornton is a no go, we already got Sestito whose our tough guy who can somewhat play and provide a lot of grit/energy on the 4th line.

All we need a energy guy who has some scoring ability/passing and relentless checking attributes for the 4th line RW.
Like the Hawks Ben Smith or Kings Trevor Lewis.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Gee, like Dale Weise?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

If we're looking for depth guys I'd have a peak at Daniel Winnik (Ana), Steve Downie (Phi) and/or depending on what he's looking for Steve Ott. The only problem is unless there's a trade I don't really see where these guys would play. It seems to me that next season might have a roster that looks like....

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-UFA/Kesler return-Kassian
Higgins-Mathias-Hansen
Horvat-Richardson-Sestito

There's questions about what we'll get back for Kesler. If it's Etem he'll probably be on the squad. Shinkaruk will be given a shot at camp. The most obvious place for Horvat to start is in the bottom-6.

It really depends on the Kesler return. If we get back that mythical young, promising centre, then maybe that 2C gets filled. If not, I would not be shocked to see Benning take a stab at a guy like Legwand, Jokinen, or even Bolland. Someone that just might click, eat some minutes, but at the very least let the younger players develop.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying I WANT Legwand, Jokinen or Bolland, just that I can see the Canucks targeting that "second-tier" free agent group on a 2-3 year deal.

Although, after the Booth buyout and the Kesler trade, if the Canucks sign Tanev @$3M and Kassian at $1.5M AAV, and use Horvat, Jensen and Corrado, they could have $14Mish to spend in Free Agency with 2-3 players to sign. Could easily afford one of the big-name UFA's, but I don't think there's much there worth overpaying for.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:If we're looking for depth guys I'd have a peak at Daniel Winnik (Ana), Steve Downie (Phi) and/or depending on what he's looking for Steve Ott. The only problem is unless there's a trade I don't really see where these guys would play. It seems to me that next season might have a roster that looks like....

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-UFA/Kesler return-Kassian
Higgins-Mathias-Hansen
Horvat-Richardson-Sestito

There's questions about what we'll get back for Kesler. If it's Etem he'll probably be on the squad. Shinkaruk will be given a shot at camp. The most obvious place for Horvat to start is in the bottom-6.

It really depends on the Kesler return. If we get back that mythical young, promising centre, then maybe that 2C gets filled. If not, I would not be shocked to see Benning take a stab at a guy like Legwand, Jokinen, or even Bolland. Someone that just might click, eat some minutes, but at the very least let the younger players develop.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying I WANT Legwand, Jokinen or Bolland, just that I can see the Canucks targeting that "second-tier" free agent group on a 2-3 year deal.

Although, after the Booth buyout and the Kesler trade, if the Canucks sign Tanev @$3M and Kassian at $1.5M AAV, and use Horvat, Jensen and Corrado, they could have $14Mish to spend in Free Agency with 2-3 players to sign. Could easily afford one of the big-name UFA's, but I don't think there's much there worth overpaying for.
As it stands we got a plethora of 3rd line wingers, but are lacking centers that can definitely play next season, especially if Kesler gets traded, it is why I keep circling back to grabbing Reinhart in some way.

1st - Hank
2nd - _____
3rd - Matthias is better off at LW _____
4th - Richardson is a superb 4th line C.

Horvat has a 50/50 shot at making it.
Gaunce is better suited in the AHL.
Cassels isn't ready I assume.

So lets say Kesler is traded but we don't get a center back, for me its:

Plan A: try to get Reinhart.

Plan B: we don't get SRsez, so we go all out and try to land Stastny!

Plan C: go for a shitty has-been (like the 95% of the socks on here), I mean get a decent stop gap like Legwand or maybe Santos.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Pretty sure Cassels will be back in jr.

Fox will be w/ Gaunce on the farm. Jensen could be there as well.

I really don't see how Mattias fits in on this team. LW? Instead of who? Our 3rd line better have Higgins & Hansen on it...perhaps Santorelli is in the 3 spot but he just very well may be our 2C depending on what transpires.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
?????-?????-Kassian

Loads of question marks at this point.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: 1st - Hank
2nd - _____
3rd - Matthias is better off at LW _____
4th - Richardson is a superb 4th line C.

Horvat has a 50/50 shot at making it.
Gaunce is better suited in the AHL.
Cassels isn't ready I assume.
Didn't Lindenning say Horvat would most likely play on the wing?

A week or so ago, dunno could be wrong....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:Pretty sure Cassels will be back in jr.

Fox will be w/ Gaunce on the farm. Jensen could be there as well.

I really don't see how Mattias fits in on this team. LW? Instead of who? Our 3rd line better have Higgins & Hansen on it...perhaps Santorelli is in the 3 spot but he just very well may be our 2C depending on what transpires.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
?????-?????-Kassian

Loads of question marks at this point.
I will be surprised if both of Higgins and Hansen are on the team come October. I would like to see Higgins traded, and it strikes me that he is the kind of player that Benning will move out as he just doesn't seem to have that second gear or consistency. I also think that one of Mathias or Kassian or Jensen can replace his production.