Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Island Nucklehead »

givemeda411 wrote:Pierre McGuire: Don't be surprised if Joe Thornton lands in Chicago.
You'd have to think Sharp or Hjarlmarsson would be part of the package going the other way. Still, I'm not sure how you can afford $23 or $24M tied up in Toews/Kane/Thornton while keeping your depth (adding Hossa/Keith/Seabrook/Crawford = $45/46M on those 7 guys). Say goodbye to the Shaw/Bickell/Leddy's of the team.

Pierre will fit right in on the top-heavy Pens...
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

givemeda411 wrote:Pierre McGuire: Don't be surprised if Joe Thornton lands in Chicago.
Except Pierre is a dimwit. His expertise comes in his tired practice of continually reciting where every player played college, junior, high school, elementary school, pre-K, probably even gestational fetus leagues...he doesn't have a line on trades; he's a prospect guy. And he's annoying as hell, just to pile on.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

It doesn't make sense for Chicago to go for Thornton as they are already a top cup contender without him. Why should they give up top prospects and mess up their cap structure by acquiring a 35 year old Thornton? (Hawks are already on the verge of facing cap issues.........Thornton would add to that dilemna).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chicago also has to be thinking of two years from now when they have to resign some of their top players. They'll need money for that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Thornton is borderline washed up. It was quite evident with his play in this playoffs, the gas tank is running on empty for the 35 year old

Spezza, a year older than Kesler and comes with a 7 million cap hit, has battled his share of injuries and like Thornton gets criticized for not being a big game player,

To me, there are 3 teams that would benefit the most by adding Kesler and the type of player he is over the two above - Anaheim, Pittsburgh and Chicago. The other rumoured teams not so much, maybe Tampa but Detroit, Philadelphia and Colorado are not good fits
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Yes Pierre, a plane that Joe is taking will at some point land in Chicago!

:roll:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

The Brown Knight wrote:It doesn't make sense for Chicago to go for Thornton as they are already a top cup contender without him. Why should they give up top prospects and mess up their cap structure by acquiring a 35 year old Thornton? (Hawks are already on the verge of facing cap issues.........Thornton would add to that dilemna).
The Blackhawks need a proven 2C. Kesler would probably be a better option for them in terms of type of player and AAV, contract status and age but he'd also cost them more than what it would take to acquire JUMBO Joe. :mex:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

For those who think trouble doesn't follow Kane around...much like Lucic, whether he or the other guy is lying is besides the point. They have a knack for putting themselves in situations where these things transpire.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454674
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

ClamRussel wrote:For those who think trouble doesn't follow Kane around...much like Lucic, whether he or the other guy is lying is besides the point. They have a knack for putting themselves in situations where these things transpire.
Both are still relatively young and immature....and I'd take both on my team in a heartbeat.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

KeyserSoze wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:For those who think trouble doesn't follow Kane around...much like Lucic, whether he or the other guy is lying is besides the point. They have a knack for putting themselves in situations where these things transpire.
Both are still relatively young and immature....and I'd take both on my team in a heartbeat.
+1
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

KeyserSoze wrote: Both are still relatively young and immature....and I'd take both on my team in a heartbeat.
Well how many kids do you see NOT doing this? Take a kid like Jamie Benn... known to frequent the Prairie Inn in Saanichton, BC and post up at the Sticky Wicket buying towers of shots downtown Victoria. You don't see him getting involved in this kind of BS.

If the Seguin situation in Boston is any indication, Benning is much more "team" oriented, vs. talent-centric. You wanna be a drama queen or show off your celebrity status you can do it somewhere else. In a market like Vancouver it's essential you get players that can handle playing here. I have my doubts about Kane in this area.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for Kane coming here, unless he comes at a bargain.
Uncle Festus
AHL Prospect

Post by Uncle Festus »

I'd take Lucic but not Kane, Kane is a talented moron, Lucic is a talented Bully. Lucic doesn't pose with wads of cash looking like a prepubescent pimp either. I guess it boils down to a player that skates around people or a player who skates through people.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I can't stand Milan 'Crood' Lucics chest pounding, it's embarrassing to watch
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Uncle Festus
AHL Prospect

Post by Uncle Festus »

RoyalDude wrote:I can't stand Milan 'Crood' Lucics chest pounding, it's embarrassing to watch
Maybe so, but he's got talent, and size, something were sorely lacking.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lucic and Kane will sign here when they become UFA's. mark my words, never mind....the archivist