Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Meds » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Jim Benning wrote:
Meds wrote:Mr. Benning, can you tell us why the Canucks are so committed to Edler?


Well Mr. Meds, I've been at this job all of what 10 minutes??

Probably not the best idea to toss players to other teams without fully understanding and assessing our assets.

However we are committed to winning, period. If Alex can be an asset to our team he will be here if not he will be asked politely to waive his NTC so that we can find a better situation for him and the Canucks!


So the press release stating that he's not going anywhere was simply public media diplomacy?
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby the Dogsalmon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:03 pm

I watched "Bo" play live 7 times over the last 2 seasons and have seen "Sam " play live 7 times over the last few seasons and its plain to see what we need...Both of them. They are two completely different players. Reinhart is quite phenomenal.Playing for a below average Kootenay Ice team he is a silent killer. You dont even notice him on the ice until the game is over and he is first star with a goal and 2 assists. Horvat is Ryan Kesler part deux.

Jimbo needs them both for OUR future.

Horvats Mom is hot!
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:UMMMMM... you know we COULD create a PEOPLES POLL on whether or not IN crushed Betamax.

Would YOU promise keep YOUR SOCKS on the sidelines? :mex:




Dudelove, are you all talk but no action? 8-)

Anyway, it's pretty clear to see, Betamax's high definition posts' CLEARLY turned said poster "IN"side OUT. :mex:


LOL ... all talk, no action. #VERIFIED :mex:


Well in ALL FAIRNESS to yours truly YOU never promised to "keep YOUR SOCKS on the sidelines" amirite? :mex:

So REALLY what good would a POLL do considering YOU are Mr Sock..... amirite?

Instead then why don't we give you the public humiliation you crave in timeline form.

Shall we?

Let's!

Crowd favorite Vandelay crushes Betamax into the end boards (crowd goes wild):

viewtopic.php?p=202057#p202057

IN drops the gloves, toys with him for a while and then KNOCKS BETAMAX OUT:

viewtopic.php?p=204027#p204027

Betamax stumbles to his feet as dbr skates by and kicks his feet out from under him:

viewtopic.php?p=205131#p205131

After eventually struggling to his hands & knees, Strangelove knocks Betamax OUT COLD:

viewtopic.php?p=205024#p205024

Thank YOU and have a nice LIFE! :towel:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7565
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Strangelove » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:14 pm

The Brown Knight wrote:(((hey look guys, good ol' Farhan will be siding with Betamax on this and so Farhan/Brown Knight is Betamax in disguise! hee hee hee!!!! :eh: -))))


LOL ya GOTTA love this guy!!! :thumbs:
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7565
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Jim Benning » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:59 pm

Meds wrote:So the press release stating that he's not going anywhere was simply public media diplomacy?


Well Mr. Meds, technically it was Trevor that gave that interview and made those statements but if you do read between the lines he said the same thing as I did.

Alex is an asset, if he can get his game back he's better served being a member of the Canucks.

If not......
This is a team we can turn around quickly.
User avatar
Jim Benning
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:55 am

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote:Dudelove, are you all talk but no action? 8-)

Anyway, it's pretty clear to see, Betamax's high definition posts' CLEARLY turned said poster "IN"side OUT. :mex:




Well in ALL FAIRNESS to yours truly YOU never promised to "keep YOUR SOCKS on the sidelines" amirite? :mex:

So REALLY what good would a POLL do considering YOU are Mr Sock..... amirite?

Instead then why don't we give you the public humiliation you crave in timeline form.

Shall we?

Let's!

Crowd favorite Vandelay crushes Betamax into the end boards (crowd goes wild):

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 57#p202057

IN drops the gloves, toys with him for a while and then KNOCKS BETAMAX OUT:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 27#p204027

Betamax stumbles to his feet as dbr skates by and kicks his feet out from under him:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 31#p205131

After eventually struggling to his hands & knees, Strangelove knocks Betamax OUT COLD:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 24#p205024

Thank YOU and have a nice LIFE! :towel:


Well, Dudelove ... thanks for duh, the research.

But one thing is #VERIFED at least I didn't post like a fuckin' pussy like you do when you post @hf. 8-)

Even our mutual pal, Wetcoaster has shown more balls there than you have. LOL. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby The Brown Knight » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:59 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:I watched "Bo" play live 7 times over the last 2 seasons and have seen "Sam " play live 7 times over the last few seasons and its plain to see what we need...Both of them. They are two completely different players. Reinhart is quite phenomenal.Playing for a below average Kootenay Ice team he is a silent killer. You dont even notice him on the ice until the game is over and he is first star with a goal and 2 assists. Horvat is Ryan Kesler part deux.

Jimbo needs them both for OUR future.

Horvats Mom is hot!


+1.

I couldn't agree more with this post.......especially about Horvat's mom.

Not sure if Florida would go for it, but I'd be much more inclined to offer our 6th overall + maybe even both of Gaunce and Shinkaruk for Sam Reinhart if that's what it takes.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Ottawa confirms Spezza has requested a trade as he is tired of being blamed when things don't go well in Ottawa. The why is unimportant but the fact that Murray has once again gone public that one of his stars has asked for a trade surprises me. Anyway, he is now being very actively shopped. Who he will waive for has not been released but he is asking to go to a contender.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby givemeda411 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Ottawa confirms Spezza has requested a trade as he is tired of being blamed when things don't go well in Ottawa. The why is unimportant but the fact that Murray has once again gone public that one of his stars has asked for a trade surprises me. Anyway, he is now being very actively shopped. Who he will waive for has not been released but he is asking to go to a contender.


-Kesler
-Spezza
-Thorton

Who will get the greater return? I say Kesler, cheaper and younger.
givemeda411
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 pm

givemeda411 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Ottawa confirms Spezza has requested a trade as he is tired of being blamed when things don't go well in Ottawa. The why is unimportant but the fact that Murray has once again gone public that one of his stars has asked for a trade surprises me. Anyway, he is now being very actively shopped. Who he will waive for has not been released but he is asking to go to a contender.


-Kesler
-Spezza
-Thorton

Who will get the greater return? I say Kesler, cheaper and younger.


And more effective in all areas of the ice. Kesler can do it all. Players like Bergeron, Kopitar, and Toews seem to be highly favoured these days. Gotta play in all zones and be a force all over the ice. While players like Gaborik and Kane score a ton, it's the two-way leaders that seem to generate a ton of interest. His contract makes him even more of an asset. In a perfect world the Canucks wouldn't trade him... but circumstances are what they are and we need to make the best of them (and him as an asset).

Guys like Spezza and Thornton are first-line point-producing players, and require first-line commitments in terms of salary. A guy like Kesler can be absorbed as a second-line asset with a 1B production capability. He can still impact the game like a first-liner, but requires the commitment of a higher-end second liner. Put it this way: the cap hit for David Booth is $4.25M, for Alex Burrows it's $4.5. Ryan Kesler at $5M blows them both out of the water. A team like Anaheim or Chicago might have trouble fitting a $7M cap hit into their cap structure, but a $5M hit is much easier to absorb.

For a competitive team, Kesler is far easier to fit under the cap and impacts the game very similarly to Spezza and Thornton (might not score as much but can shut down/PK etc). He's also the youngest of the bunch, doesn't have the injury history of a Spezza, nor is he signed at a high cap hit until he's 38 like Thornton.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4262
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:For a competitive team, Kesler is far easier to fit under the cap and impacts the game very similarly to Spezza and Thornton (might not score as much but can shut down/PK etc). He's also the youngest of the bunch, doesn't have the injury history of a Spezza, nor is he signed at a high cap hit until he's 38 like Thornton.


Spezza will be a UFA in like 1 season as well, so hopefully that drives his price down a bit. Kes has seemed a bit banged up the last few seasons though. He missed a chunk of games here and there and seemed to play through some injuries. He seems fine now and it should not be a factor from interested parties.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:For a competitive team, Kesler is far easier to fit under the cap and impacts the game very similarly to Spezza and Thornton (might not score as much but can shut down/PK etc). He's also the youngest of the bunch, doesn't have the injury history of a Spezza, nor is he signed at a high cap hit until he's 38 like Thornton.


Spezza will be a UFA in like 1 season as well, so hopefully that drives his price down a bit. Kes has seemed a bit banged up the last few seasons though. He missed a chunk of games here and there and seemed to play through some injuries. He seems fine now and it should not be a factor from interested parties.


Quite true. While Thornton's contract is long, Spezza's would require teams near the cap to significantly re-work their salary structure for a one-year shot with a guy who was -26 last year (Edler bad), and has but one 82-game NHL season under his belt.

Kes has been banged recently, and likely will not last as an effective player into his late 30's, due to the style he plays. He IS effective now, he has a history of being durable. He has more than a year left at a bargain contract that gives the team acquiring him flexibility to fit him in.

IMHO, he's a better fit to the "gotta get over the hump" crowd than Thornton or Spezza.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4262
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Lancer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Ottawa confirms Spezza has requested a trade as he is tired of being blamed when things don't go well in Ottawa. The why is unimportant but the fact that Murray has once again gone public that one of his stars has asked for a trade surprises me. Anyway, he is now being very actively shopped. Who he will waive for has not been released but he is asking to go to a contender.


Others have mentioned Spezza's cap space-eating contract which would likely preclude him from a contender, but I have a feeling that there are some 2nd-tier teams who might splurge on him given a green-light from ownership - Columbus and Tampa Bay come to mind but I could think of others with enough time. I really don't think Thornton will go anywhere - there's a reason he bargained for a NTC and with his salary, he'd be in the same boat as Spezza - overpriced for where he wants to go.

Kesler is, by far, the bigger prize on the trade market - no matter what the cum-catchers in Toronto try to say.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:24 pm

We also don't know if Spezza has a short list or not. He may want to stay in the East, he may only want to go to a contender, he may not care since it is only for one year. Given he is in the final year of his contract he may want to go somewhere where he can be the go to guy, prolific scorer to drive up his price next season. Hard to say what his value is without knowing the specifics of his request.


Same with Jumbo Joe. If he is asked to waive who knows if he will agree or not and if he does what conditions he attaches to it. Not many top teams could absorb his contract without making big moves. Detroit could with the expiring contracts they will gave but then they gave no room to make the other additions they need.

I think Kesler will be highly sought after just don't know if the teams asking about him will be the same teams on his list. But if he wants out he may expand his list rather than go through the Luongo thing.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4266
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby givemeda411 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:40 pm

Pierre McGuire: Don't be surprised if Joe Thornton lands in Chicago.
givemeda411
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests