Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Meds » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:51 pm

RoyalDude wrote:It's a real treat listening to the Toronto sports media downplay Keslers value on the open market.
I think they are concerned the Nucks might reap some hefty rewards for Kesler. They love bringing up Spezza, Thornton, Marleau. Hoping that their availability will lower the premium on Keslers value.


In spite of the fact that those 3 guys are much better offensive producers, Kesler's value to teams like Anaheim, is that he is a legitimate top-6 forward who can play a shutdown role while contributing offensively behind a bonafide first line center. Thornton, Spezza, and Marleau, are all top-3 forwards who are less defensively inclined. Couple that with the fact that Kesler is $2M cheaper than any of them, and Kes sits atop the pile so far as contending teams are concerned.

Would anyone here take the following.....

To VAN: Etem + Theodore + 10th overall

To ANA: Kesler

Then.....

To FLA: 6th or 10th + Garrison or Edler or Tanev + Higgins or Hansen

To VAN: 1st overall

Canucks come away with 2 picks in the top 10 (Reinhart and a good shot at Virtanen) a good prospect on the blueline, and Etem.

To me that's making out like gangbusters for a guy who doesn't want to be here, a top-4, and a guy who is instantly replaceable by Santorelli.....

It might take more to land that 1st overall though.....they are rarely traded for a reason.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Jim Benning » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:53 pm

Our intention is, without question, to use the 6th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft to select the best player available.

Should the opportunity arise to use this pick to obtain a better available player in this draft we will, obviously, explore that option.
This is a team we can turn around quickly.
User avatar
Jim Benning
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Canuck-One » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Meds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:It's a real treat listening to the Toronto sports media downplay Keslers value on the open market.
I think they are concerned the Nucks might reap some hefty rewards for Kesler. They love bringing up Spezza, Thornton, Marleau. Hoping that their availability will lower the premium on Keslers value.


In spite of the fact that those 3 guys are much better offensive producers, Kesler's value to teams like Anaheim, is that he is a legitimate top-6 forward who can play a shutdown role while contributing offensively behind a bonafide first line center. Thornton, Spezza, and Marleau, are all top-3 forwards who are less defensively inclined. Couple that with the fact that Kesler is $2M cheaper than any of them, and Kes sits atop the pile so far as contending teams are concerned.

Would anyone here take the following.....

To VAN: Etem + Theodore + 10th overall

To ANA: Kesler

Then.....

To FLA: 6th or 10th + Garrison or Edler or Tanev + Higgins or Hansen

To VAN: 1st overall

Canucks come away with 2 picks in the top 10 (Reinhart and a good shot at Virtanen) a good prospect on the blueline, and Etem.

To me that's making out like gangbusters for a guy who doesn't want to be here, a top-4, and a guy who is instantly replaceable by Santorelli.....

It might take more to land that 1st overall though.....they are rarely traded for a reason.


I would take that deal and the following scenario in a heart beat. I have made similar suggestions before. I don't know if Florida would trade numero uno for that price though.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Living the Life

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Jim Benning wrote:Our intention is, without question, to use the 6th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft to select the best player available.

Should the opportunity arise to use this pick to obtain a better available player in this draft we will, obviously, explore that option.


Mindblowingly lame.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Meds » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Jim Benning wrote:Our intention is, without question, to use the 6th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft to select the best player available.

Should the opportunity arise to use this pick to obtain a better available player in this draft we will, obviously, explore that option.


Whaaaa......Jim Benning signed up here???!!?? :shock:

Mr. Benning, can you tell us why the Canucks are so committed to Edler?
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3526
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:45 pm

From The Prattman .....

via: https://twitter.com/DavePratt1040/statu ... 1488126976

Dave Pratt ‏@DavePratt1040

Florida now said to be offering first pick over all to Canucks for their 6th over all and Bo Horvat.. This time tell Dale Tallon...No thanks

4:26 PM - 10 Jun 2014


So who here agrees with The Prattman? :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Rumsfeld » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Betamax wrote:From The Prattman .....

via: https://twitter.com/DavePratt1040/statu ... 1488126976

Dave Pratt ‏@DavePratt1040

Florida now said to be offering first pick over all to Canucks for their 6th over all and Bo Horvat.. This time tell Dale Tallon...No thanks

4:26 PM - 10 Jun 2014


So who here agrees with The Prattman? :mex:


Well it's Pratt so lol... but they'd have to sweeten the pot and add a decent piece before I'd let Quick Jim™ pull the trigger.

Considering what we gave up for Bo and all.

Even if Horvat is a ceiling 2nd line center, our 6th pick will probably be a very solid top-6 player as well. Seems like a lot, even if Reinhart is a legit #1.

I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if they did it, but I'd want more.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote:duh, so, what you are saying ( before the Canucks' trade for Tyler Myers 8-) ) is that right now, you would rather have the Canucks' crop of defenseman over the Sharks? LOL. :mex:


lol. YES. 100%. Absolutely. The Sharks D is thin, weak, softer than butter and worse than ours.

FORWARDS!! OUR PROBLEM IS FORWARDS!!! WE DON'T NEED MYERS! WE NEED A SECOND LINE!!! FUCK, YOU ARE STUNNED!!!!!


I'll comment on this: (((hey look guys, good ol' Farhan will be siding with Betamax on this and so Farhan/Brown Knight is Betamax in disguise! hee hee hee!!!! :eh: -))))

In assessing whether we want a guy like Tyler Myers over here, I think we have to determine whether this player would be a potential core piece to our CURRRENT core (i.e. Sedins', Kesler, Bieksa, etc.), or our FUTURE core (i.e. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Lack, Markstrom, etc.).

For me - I love the idea of acquiring Tyler Myers because he would be a potential core piece to our FUTURE core.

-One of Lack or Markstrom should turn out to be a pretty good goalie. Markstrom still has superstar potential imo.
-Horvat has a good shot of developing into a solid two-way second line center
-One of Jensen, Kassian, or Shinkaruk should turn into a strong first line winger

That leaves the Canucks needing both a potential franchise center and a potential franchise defensemen for our next core.

-It is my hope that the Canucks are successful in moving Kesler to Pittsburgh for both Brandon Sutter and Derrick Pouliot. That's one potential franchise 'D' in return.
-We then move our 2015 first overall pick for Tyler Myers.
-We then make a move with Edler and our 6th overall pick (and maybe another player/prospect if that's what it takes?) to land Sam Reinhart.

That's what I would try and do. Don't bring in Myers with the idea of being a significant piece of this current core. Bring in a guy like Myers because you think he will be a major piece for our next core.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby SKYO » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:they'd have to sweeten the pot and add a decent piece before I'd let Quick Jim™ pull the trigger.

Considering what we gave up for Bo and all.

Even if Horvat is a ceiling 2nd line center, our 6th pick will probably be a very solid top-6 player as well. Seems like a lot, even if Reinhart is a legit #1.


Well considering Reinhart's upside I think you do it, as Sam can definitely be a #1C down the line, while Horvat tops out as a #2C but is more like a #2/#3C...
So you compare the two scenarios - a number center? or a number 2/3 center and a probable 2nd line winger?
I'd go for the #1 center easy.

Plus we have the Kesler trade, if we can get another 1st round pick and if that just happens to be Ottawa's #10 pick.

After the top 5 there's Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, Fleury...

So at #10 you got a shot at Virtanen and given his surgery you'd think he'd drop a bit otherwise there's:
Kapanen, Perlini, Pastrnak, Tuch, Fabbri, Scherbak.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3643
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby The Brown Knight » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:35 pm

I don't like the idea of moving Horvat.

Horvat is a character guy and works his butt off. Those are the types of guys you hold onto.

Doesn't listen to guys like Kuzma that think Horvat will be nothing more than a 3rd line center (or a plug on the 2nd line). Guys like Kuzma probably said the same thing about Ryan Kesler back in 2007.

I love the idea of making a move for Reinhart, but not if it involves Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kassian, or Gaunce.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
User avatar
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:UMMMMM... you know we COULD create a PEOPLES POLL on whether or not IN crushed Betamax.

Would YOU promise keep YOUR SOCKS on the sidelines? :mex:




Dudelove, are you all talk but no action? 8-)

Anyway, it's pretty clear to see, Betamax's high definition posts' CLEARLY turned said poster "IN"side OUT. :mex:


LOL ... all talk, no action. #VERIFIED :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Betamax wrote:Or a former Rookie of the Year. Put him under Coach John Stevens


Andrew Raycroft? Scott Gomez? Dany Heatley? The possibilities are ENDLESS!!!
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Betamax » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote:Or a former Rookie of the Year. Put him under Coach John Stevens


Andrew Raycroft? Scott Gomez? Dany Heatley? The possibilities are ENDLESS!!!


Bobby Orr? Denis Potvin? Ray Bourque? The possibilities are ENDLESS!!! :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Topper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:02 pm

a 6 and a 9 (69) for Reinhart

6 and Schneid for Reinhart
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5135
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Jim Benning » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Meds wrote:Mr. Benning, can you tell us why the Canucks are so committed to Edler?


Well Mr. Meds, I've been at this job all of what 10 minutes??

Probably not the best idea to toss players to other teams without fully understanding and assessing our assets.

However we are committed to winning, period. If Alex can be an asset to our team he will be here if not he will be asked politely to waive his NTC so that we can find a better situation for him and the Canucks!
This is a team we can turn around quickly.
User avatar
Jim Benning
AHL Prospect
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests