Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by SKYO » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Betamax wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Did you really think that Edler forgot permanently how to be a top quality first defenseman?

Garrison sucks though, he has to go. Even an off Edler is still better than Garrison.
I think Edler can be reclaimed to be a good top 4 dman and possibly better at a good value AAV. I do think one of the 30s something D men with NTC has to go, and of the three Garrison would be my first choice even though he has the least trade value of the three.

But if Edler stays, it has to mean Kesler goes. :mex:
Yeah it's all boiling down to left side Garrison leaving now, he has value + good point totals, and now Edler has TL's vote of confidence, time to package JayG up with the #6 pick and move up in the draft.

If Kesler is traded hopefully we get a QB dman in return to play beside Edler as he plays at his best when paired with a offensively talented right side dman...

Olympics: Edler - Karlsson

Canucks lethal powerplay 2011: Edler - Ehrhoff/Salo.

For Kesler trade...
Pens have Letang or injured/surgery Pouliot.
Ducks have Vatanen or preferred Shea Theodore (QB/has size/ready to play)
Don't know of any other good QB dmen avail...Yandle?
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:50 pm

RoyalDude wrote:What does RingTool know?

Nothing
Well, he knows people in the organization. So I would take his scuttlebutt at face value. :mex:

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The Weber and Evander Kane fantasies here are worst than a scroll through the HF Boards
I know eh?! I'm really getting tired of having to wipe Dics....er....lick Docs EK splurge off my screen every time I log-in. :evil:
:crazy:

Well the Kane fantasies make at least some sense

(there are reasons to believe a parting of ways could be coming, and Canucks are primed for a blockbuster).
But, most of the Kane fantasies were offering way too much up for Kane. He's good, but don't overpay like some here are willing to do. Some people here act like they came across the only watering hole in the desert, and are willing to pay $1 million for a glass of water
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Tciso wrote:But, most of the Kane fantasies were offering way too much up for Kane. He's good, but don't overpay like some here are willing to do. Some people here act like they came across the only watering hole in the desert, and are willing to pay $1 million for a glass of water
So, Tciso, in your opinion, what is the offer the Canucks' would have to give up that is "fair" that would make the Jets bite? :mex:

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:03 pm

I think a lot of people are failing to grasp that Kane is 22 years old. If he were a Canuck property you'd all want the fucking moon for him.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:I think a lot of people are failing to grasp that Kane is 22 years old. If he were a Canuck property you'd all want the fucking moon for him.
I think a lot of people are following into the Michael D. Gillis' issues of overvaluing their own "assets." :mex:

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Thomas K-thair wrote:
Betamax wrote: But if Edler stays, it has to mean Kesler goes. :mex:
One has nothing to do with the other.
duh, they are their two most attractive core players in terms of trade value that you could in theory move. If one stays, the other has to go ... unless they are going to stand pat and choose the "Lipstick on a Orca" model. :mex:

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:18 am

If Linden/Benning have Stevens as their #1 target, I could see them figuring he'd be of great help to Edler. Stevens has done a great job with the Kings' D - just check out Muzzin's play - having him come in and work with Edler, still 28, to try to get back up to a top level could be a better outcome than a trade. I do think Stevens is the one they want. Desjardins' 2nd choice that is being trial ballooned through the media.

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 am

Thomas K-thair wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Garrison sucks though

No he doesn't . Although the team may have to part with him or an another defenceman to change the mix he doesn't suck. There are a lot worse players making a lot more money thoughout the league.
Yeah, he's a decent player and he looked great in his first half-season here.

Since then the new-car-smell has definitely faded though.

My (admittedly rudimentary) assessment of Garry:

Pros

- Possesses a legit bomb

- Very solid positionally

- Big and strong

Cons

- Takes forever to unload bomb and rarely hits the net with it

- Slow of foot

- Shitty passer

- For a big strong guy he rarely throws a hit and has no mean streak to speak of

The bolded are the deficiencies that most frustrate me about Garry. There will always be a place in the NHL for slow-and-steady defensemen, but they have to be able to move the puck efficiently and they have to punish motherfuckers once in a while.

He should be one of the guys we're looking to unload and there should be a decent market for him, especially with a rising cap and the ridiculous cost of defensemen in the UFA market.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:04 pm

San Jose Sharks acquire conditional 2015 draft selection from NY Islanders in exchange for Dan Boyle.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:10 pm

SKYO wrote:San Jose Sharks acquire conditional 2015 draft selection from NY Islanders in exchange for Dan Boyle.
Part of their push to make the playoffs not be embarrassed in giving up their no.1 pick to the Sabres in the Vanek deal.

Maybe they will make a call on Kesler. :mex:

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:29 pm

Betamax wrote:
SKYO wrote:San Jose Sharks acquire conditional 2015 draft selection from NY Islanders in exchange for Dan Boyle.
Part of their push to make the playoffs not be embarrassed in giving up their no.1 pick to the Sabres in the Vanek deal.

Maybe they will make a call on Kesler. :mex:
Gotta love Dougie Wilson, always selling the hasbeens for picks and prospects and always putting out a good product year in year out. Then you look at the opposite of that 'being a buyer' like ole Players Agent, (selling futures for rental, reclamation projects) see the kind of shithole ya dig for yourself? You lose your job and your team becomes horrendous
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:08 pm

RoyalDude wrote: Gotta love Dougie Wilson, always selling the hasbeens for picks and prospects and always putting out a good product year in year out. Then you look at the opposite of that 'being a buyer' like ole Players Agent, (selling futures for rental, reclamation projects) see the kind of shithole ya dig for yourself? You lose your job and your team becomes horrendous
Wait, so you'd be happy if your team perpetually wins a round per year and then bows out?

Because that's been "Dougie's" average. :hmmm:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 pm

No Doc. I'd rather lose 4 straight to the sharks in the 1st round of the playoffs and then finish with the 6th worst record in the League the following season and currently have nowhere near the good young players in the team that the Sharks have. But hey, that's just me bro.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:07 pm

RoyalDude wrote:No Doc. I'd rather lose 4 straight to the sharks in the 1st round of the playoffs and then finish with the 6th worst record in the League the following season and currently have nowhere near the good young players in the team that the Sharks have. But hey, that's just me bro.