Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by BladesofSteel » Sat May 31, 2014 9:47 am

Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler & conditional 2014/15 2nd round pick to Nashville

Shea Weber, Colton Sissons & 2014 1st round pick to Vancouver

---

Nashville's 2014 1st round pick & Vancouver's 2014 1st round pick to Florida

Florida's 2014 1st round pick & 2015 2nd round pick

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax » Sat May 31, 2014 9:53 am

BladesofSteel wrote:Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler & conditional 2014/15 2nd round pick to Nashville

---

LOL ... I don't think Nashville would trade Weber by himself for both Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler & conditional 2014/15 2nd round pick. :mex:

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sat May 31, 2014 11:48 am

BladesofSteel wrote:Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler & conditional 2014/15 2nd round pick to Nashville

---

I highly doubt Nashville would part with Weber for anything that we can offer them. If they did they certainly would not include their 7th overall pick in the package. I mean, you basically just asked for one of the top 4 defensemen in the entire league, plus a top 10 pick, AND one of their better young prospects.....in exchange for a top 40 center, the worst plus/minus in the league, and a 2nd round pick. More realistic would look like.....

To VAN: Weber + 11th overall 2014.
To NSH: Kesler + Edler + 6th overall 2014 + 2nd round 2015.

Even that probably wouldn't get it done, because Weber is just that good.....but it's a closer.

Florida is looking for veteran players, not more draft picks that they have to develop. The only way to pry that 1st overall pick out of Florida is by sending them players. The only players I can see them having interest in though were just traded to Nashville in your scenario. They might be interested in Burrows + Hansen + 11th overall in exchange for the 1st overall pick.....but I really doubt it.

Puck Dynasty
AHL Prospect

Post by Puck Dynasty » Sat May 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Betamax wrote: LOL ... I don't think Nashville would trade Weber by himself for both Ryan Kesler, Alex Edler & conditional 2014/15 2nd round pick. :mex:
I definitely agree with your "LOL", that proposal wouldn't even be accepted by EA Sports worst A.I. Although, I would not rule out the possibility of Weber being traded for a package similar to that. In fact I would not be surprised at all to see Weber's name start to surface more frequently in trade chatter as the draft approaches.

Weber's contract and cap hit is massive. Nashville has long been a budget team, one that has just changed lanes and wants to do more than just play defensive hockey. This will be tougher to accomplish with Weber's contract on the books if the Predators are still going to be team that stays closer to the cap floor.

The selection of Seth Jones at the 2013 draft over any of the available forwards, and the lack of any rumors that Poile was trying to trade up to guarantee one of McKinnon, Barkov, or Drouin, suggests that he may have been planning ahead to unload Weber as defenseman prospects like Jones don't come along as often as top forwards. I also considered the fact that Weber's agent allegedly requested the addition of a NTC after Poile matched Philadelphia's offer-sheet, and Poile declined.

The Canucks are unlikely to have the parts to make an offer though. Kesler is a top 6 center, no question, but he is very similar to Nashville's Mike Fisher, and I suspect that the Predators would want someone a little more offensively prolific than Kesler.

As for the Canucks and the wisdom in trying to make a trade for Weber, it depends upon what Linden and Benning decide to do going forward. If the plan is to go into a full rebuild that focuses on building from within via the draft, then it doesn't make sense to pay the price that will surely be demanded for Weber. Weber's age (29 in August) would mean that he would likely be around 33 or 34 by the time the Canucks could rebuild to contender status again. Better to hang on to assets that can help mentor young talent rather than move several of them out to acquire one player.

If the plan is to re-tool quickly and become a playoff team that can develop a few players and become a contender again very quickly, and if there is a package that Nashville will accept that gets Weber into a Canucks jersey, then pay the price. The impact of a top defenseman like Weber has been proven time and again, especially in the playoffs.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat May 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Betamax wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Interesting read on how the Kings could buy out Mike Richards this summer.

IF Richards is bought out, he could be a great stop-gap in the event of a Kesler deal.
As another individual on these forums once asked, "UMMMM who the fuck is Ronnie Shuker and why the fuck would anyone give a fuck about his hockey opinion?

(pardon my french)"

8-)
Ummm... he CAN be taught! :thumbs:

Pundit wannabe Shuker is just regurgitating what NHL pundits have been speculating for some time now.

The demise of Mike Richards has been massive, given what he once was.

REHABILITATION :wink: would be the order of the day.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat May 31, 2014 4:36 pm

Puck Dynasty wrote:
Betamax wrote: *anything*
I definitely agree
Well that's.... GOOD!!!

I guess. :look:

Well a helluva lot better than ARGUING with yourself anyway....
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Trade Kesler for a QB dman and a pick/winger and then sign Stastny?

Can negotiate with Paul Stastny starting on the 25th iirc.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:15 am

According to the Detroit Free Press, the Wings are interested in Edler:
In addition to deciding on a backup goaltender, discussions will focus on how to add a top-four defenseman and a top-six forward. The UFA market isn’t particularly stocked this summer - top defensemen available include Matt Niskanen, Dan Boyle and Andrei Markov, and among forwards, there’s Thomas Vanek and, possibly, Paul Statsny. There’s also the possibility of trading, especially if Vancouver makes available Alexander Edler, a defenseman in whom the Wings have considerable interest.
http://www.freep.com/article/20140601/S ... ree-agency

So what could a Wings/Nucks trade look like? :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:45 am

Edler to Detroit?

First ask for Mantha. If no, then ask for Beftuzzi's nephew (kid impressed me after watching Memorial Cup), if no then ask for their 2014 1st pick. You ain't getting Nyqvist, you ain't getting Brenden Smith. Not sure I want Tatar, too tiny.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:47 am

The Weber and Evander Kane fantasies here are worst than a scroll through the HF Boards
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:07 am

RoyalDude wrote:The Weber and Evander Kane fantasies here are worst than a scroll through the HF Boards
I know eh?! I'm really getting tired of having to wipe Dics....er....Docs EK splurge off my screen every time I log-in. :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:30 am

RoyalDude wrote:The Weber and Evander Kane fantasies here are worst than a scroll through the HF Boards
Reminds of the Gaborik would begat Hossa rumours of years gone bi
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:55 am

Interesting... A 31 y.o. with 34 pts, -3 and a $4.5 mil price tag for a 23 y.o. with 37 pts, -29 and a $5 mil price tag.
theScore ‏@theScore
Blue Jackets' R.J Umberger could be sent to the Oilers for Sam Gagner. http://thesco.re/1hvxbaI pic.twitter.com/y8H8QndD6W

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:35 am

Jovocop wrote:Interesting... A 31 y.o. with 34 pts, -3 and a $4.5 mil price tag for a 23 y.o. with 37 pts, -29 and a $5 mil price tag.
theScore ‏@theScore
Blue Jackets' R.J Umberger could be sent to the Oilers for Sam Gagner. http://thesco.re/1hvxbaI pic.twitter.com/y8H8QndD6W
This would be a typically dumbass Oiler move. Frankly I hope that deal gets done, as much as it may help Columbus. Bumberger can earn his keep with a reprise of his Columbus experience.

Gagner reeks of those players who only look good on bad teams.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:45 am

Pick your poison - Gagner or Umberger. Nobody wins here.