Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Postby Mondi » Mon May 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Fair enough. I don't really take a big issue with Edler as a player, he's just not going to get us Evander Kane.

Maybe if Edler was 24, and coming off a 42 point season (i.e. Edler in spring 2010)...but not at 28 with a -39 etc.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Island Nucklehead » Mon May 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Reefer2 wrote:When was the last time he put 5 games together with big hits?

He has become soft, he stopped playing the game he needs to play and that we once saw him play.

When does anyone put 5 games together with big hits?

I would imagine his back would say something about it... Edler is neither soft, nor is he an overly punishing d-man. He certainly can be physical, and can dish some punishing hits.

I don't think he'll get us Evander Kane, but we're not talking about some slight, scrawny d-man like Letang, Justin Schultz or Tobias Enstrom. Edler is a big boy (6'3 215) and can play like one when required.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Jovocop » Tue May 06, 2014 10:54 am

Reefer2 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Edler might not be a tough guy but I would hardly consider him soft.

When was the last time he put 5 games together with big hits?

He has become soft, he stopped playing the game he needs to play and that we once saw him play.

Do you think Shanahan has something to do with this???
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Tue May 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Edler might not be a tough guy but I would hardly consider him soft.

When was the last time he put 5 games together with big hits?

Do you think Shanahan has something to do with this???

Irrespective of Shanny, Edler I think would now be classified as a "Repeat Offender" so, yeah NHL's DOPS would be on him observing his actions like a hawk, and therefore, he'd have to be skating on eggshells more times than not. 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Betamax » Tue May 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Any thoughts on the Canucks trading their No. 6 overall pick for a young player with upside?

If so, would ya do it for someone that's under 25 and former NHL Rookie of the Year, Tyler Myers? 5.5M (AAV) but the actual monies owing (take home pay) for the remaining 5 years is less than that and that would please ownership. His play in recent years since his breakout rookie year has slip but I wonder how much that has to do with the environment he plays in.

Would the 6th overall pick be enough or would the Canucks need to ADD to the trade offer?

via: http://www.capgeek.com/player/728

I think part of the Sabres long range plan is to tank for one more season and finish with the worst overall record so they could guarantee one of two franchise players. i.e. McDavid or Eichel.

A move for Myers would also mean that the Canucks would be moving a big contract from the backend i.e. Edler.

That's the type of bold move I'd like to see Linden or the new GM make. Get players that are under 25 that have the potential to be core players in the next year or two before the Sedins' play slips too noticeably.

What say you? 8-)
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Mondi » Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 am

My fantasy is for the Canucks to do what is necessary to get McDavid.

The way I see it, you need a generation talent or two to four close-to-generational-talents to win the Cup. Perhaps put more simply, you need 3 to 4 guys in the top 10 at their position in the league to win.

Over the next 5 years I see little hope of defeating Chicago, Colorado, or Los Angeles without our answer to Kane/Toews/Keith, Doughty/Kopitar, and Duchene/McKinnon/Landeskog.

Further, the way I see it is that we were only able to beat Chicago when our best players were in that category. In 2011, there is no question Sedin/Sedin/Kesler were in the top 10 for their positions in the league. In addition, they were peaking and maxing out at 28-30. Chicago, LA, and Colorado are still trending up. Kane is 25 and already has TWO rings.

It goes without saying that you need a solid supporting cast, but that is not as difficult to assemble as the top flight players.

I think it is clear that Detroit, while still good, is in a similar predicament to the Nucks.They have players who at one time were in the top 10 at their position (i.e. Dats/Zets) and some good young pieces. But ultimately, they had little chance versus Boston.

In order to unseat the Champs (Hawks, Kings), and the up and coming teams with superstars (Avs), the Canucks will need to bring in some players with top 10 potential. At this point, Kassian and Horvat may have a remote chance at that kind of position. Other than that, it is bleak.

I'm not suggesting a tank, but based on empirical evidence any team that wins the Cup needs to cultivate superstars not merely good players and journeyman.

I like the idea of perhaps parlaying this year's pick into E. Kane...or Edler +, as he may also have that top 10 potential. But, I also like the idea of keeping it and seeing who can be drafted. That all said, the 2015 draft is what I am interested in.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby RoyalDude » Wed May 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Tyler Myers????? No

Like Edler, chronic back issues. He's sucked over the last few seasons. Bad idea

Knowing Lindens team first, community commitment - Evander Kane he don't want.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby Betamax » Wed May 07, 2014 2:52 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Tyler Myers????? No

Like Edler, chronic back issues. He's sucked over the last few seasons. Bad idea

duh, where has it been documented that Myers has "chronic back issues." I think there's a big risk/reward factor with him in that he has all the physical attributes to be a No. 1.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Meds » Thu May 08, 2014 12:47 am

Betamax wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Tyler Myers????? No

duh, where has it been documented that Myers has "chronic back issues." I think there's a big risk/reward factor with him in that he has all the physical attributes to be a No. 1.

Yeah.....62 GP and a minus-26.

He's the same height as Chara and 35 lbs lighter.
Meds
CC Legend

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu May 08, 2014 5:47 am

Meds wrote:Yeah.....62 GP and a minus-26.

When Chara was the same age he put up 2G, 9A, 11Pts, and was -27 in 65 games.

Myers won't ever be as physically dominant Chara. He's not mean enough. But he is a better skater and is still quite young for a 6'8 player.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Thu May 08, 2014 7:49 am

Ekblad will not be a 'special' player, but a good all around D-man. If the Nucks make a move for Florida's pick selecting Reinhart is an absolute no brainer. It would be like picking Wickenheiser instead of Denis Savard, duh Montreal. RIP Wickenheiser. A great forward from your own backyard and you pass him up for Ekblad? Stupid.

Reinhart and Horvat your top 2 centres for the next decade and more? Are you kidding me?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Fri May 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:But he is a better skater and is still quite young for a 6'8 player.

I know, right-most 6'8 players are grizzled vets. 8-)
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby ClamRussel » Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Ekblad will not be a 'special' player, but a good all around D-man. If the Nucks make a move for Florida's pick selecting Reinhart is an absolute no brainer. It would be like picking Wickenheiser instead of Denis Savard, duh Montreal. RIP Wickenheiser. A great forward from your own backyard and you pass him up for Ekblad? Stupid.

Reinhart and Horvat your top 2 centres for the next decade and more? Are you kidding me?

A decade of two no. 2 centres??

I'd pick Reinhart as well but I think the expectations are snowballing for the kid.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Sat May 10, 2014 8:40 am

I was impressed with Sams moves. vision, smarts, shot, playmaking, patience with the puck at the WJC. He is more than capable of being a no. 1 centre. Horvat is no slouch either, but he is a classic no. 2 centre.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

Postby RoyalDude » Sat May 10, 2014 8:43 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Meds wrote:Yeah.....62 GP and a minus-26.

When Chara was the same age he put up 2G, 9A, 11Pts, and was -27 in 65 games.

Myers won't ever be as physically dominant Chara. He's not mean enough. But he is a better skater and is still quite young for a 6'8 player.

I see no comparisons between Chara and Myers other than height. That's like saying Big Country Reeves and Shaquille Oneal are similar players.
RoyalDude
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat