Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by herb »

I don’t think there’s any way you can look at this current team and think things are going to work themselves out. The team will probably get hot again and win a few games after the Olympic break. They may even make the playoffs (they probably should, if they ever get a healthy group back together). If you think this team is able to go on any sort of run, and provide more than two or three home playoff games for the owners, then you’re clearly on crack. They don’t sell rose coloured glasses in that hue.

Guys like Higgins, Hansen, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison and even Burrows would garner significant returns at the deadline or in the off season in terms of young players. For the most part they have age and reasonable contracts on their sides. I could see Burrows, Higgins and Hansen having value at the deadline due to their versatility and track record.

I think you can trade three or four of these guys, retool with the young players you get back via trade as well as Horvat and Shinkaruk, and come back with a deeper and more dynamic team next year.

If the core guys like the Sedins, Luongo and Kesler don’t like this plan, put them on the block too. The return for Kesler in a trade would be absolutely massive.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Agreed both ya'll^^

The thing thats fucks with my head is does MG have to acquire players that suit Torts style?

Does he have to go and try to get somebody like Callahan now?

Plus do we have to worry about how Torts will handle bringing in Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk etc. in the next coupla seasons?

Torts seemed to do ok with some youngsters, but Kreider was held back, ehh too much to think about right now ha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

SKYO wrote:Agreed both ya'll^^

The thing thats fucks with my head is does MG have to acquire players that suit Torts style?

Does he have to go and try to get somebody like Callahan now?
Not Callahan, I hope. Too expensive, way too much term and way too old for where we need to be headed.

One would hope that management has a philosophy and vision for what it wants its team to look like. I would hope that the coach fits in with that vision, and not the other way around.

Most of us thought this was going to be a transition year of sorts, and I certainly thought this team had a curious identity to start the year, but if ownership is really shocked that the team isn’t hanging in there with the top dogs then I really have to question what their vision is (aside from having a team with a serious lack of depth...).
SKYO wrote: Plus do we have to worry about how Torts will handle bringing in Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk etc. in the next coupla seasons?

Torts seemed to do ok with some youngsters, but Kreider was held back, ehh too much to think about right now ha.
Why? Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels and Fox are all described as strong two-way players. Shinkaruk is a bit different, but maybe there is such a thing as having too many players cut from the same cloth. Frankly this team needs somebody with a bit of flare and creativity like Shinkaruk.

If I’m running the organization, my first order of business is to acquire that young, top six winger. Not a project guy, or an old guy, but a legitimate top six guy who already is putting up 25+ goals. This would be someone like Kane, Voracek, Simmonds, Stewart or Eberle (just throwing some names out there). Somebody needs to be brought in to do some heavy lifting on the offensive side in the here and now, but also into the future.

Hansen and Edler would be the carrots I dangle first, but any of Hamhuis, Bieksa or Garrison could go as well. Maybe now is a good time to sell Hamhuis, Garrison or Bieksa while their stock is high and they still have good term and money left on their contracts. Maybe you can afford to trade two of Hamhuis/Bieksa/Garrison/Edler and go after a Girardi in the off season?

I think you can put together a good defensive group with what’s left and rounding out the depth through free agency. Maybe Diaz is a guy who can be effective in a sheltered bottom pairing role, and quite frankly I am very high on Tanev and Stanton’s ability to both step into bigger roles.

My forwards would be rounded out with the kids, and if I’m Gillis I do not trade a single one of them because that just makes our chances of them panning out for us even worse. I would try to keep Higgins.

I keep coming back to Hamhuis and Bieksa when I think about this team's needs. Hamhuis is a BC guy, a community guy, going to play for Team Canada, etc., but is what he brings to the table (savvy shutdown defenseman) easier to replace than replacing the offensive potential of Edler and Garrison? By easier to replace I mean either via Tanev and Stanton or through free agency.

On Kevin Bieksa…he’s on the wrong side of 30, but he’s a big part of this team’s leadership group, which I’m not sure anymore if that’s a positive or a negative.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:
SKYO wrote: Plus do we have to worry about how Torts will handle bringing in Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk etc. in the next coupla seasons?

Why? Gaunce, Horvat, Cassels and Fox are all described as strong two-way players. Shinkaruk is a bit different, but maybe there is such a thing as having too many players cut from the same cloth. Frankly this team needs somebody with a bit of flare and creativity like Shinkaruk.

If I’m running the organization, my first order of business is to acquire that young, top six winger. Not a project guy, or an old guy, but a legitimate top six guy who already is putting up 25+ goals.
Yeah I'm just hoping Torts can develop our young guns properly (good situational minutes and patience, allowing them to make mistakes & learn) and quick!

As an aside about if we ever got a new GM, and what I like about when a new GM comes in to their new team is they usually make sweeping changes right off the bat, then analyze for a few years, if a new GM came in this summer, first thing he'd probably do is ship Luongo to where he belongs in Florida it's the right thing to do, with the Panthers spending more to the cap now and wanting to sell tickets, I don't see a better option than bringing their Lu home, to finally solidify their goaltending, they can let thomas roam to another team, with markstrom clearly not being ready.

Not to mention it would finally end this 'goalie controversy' (lu/schneids) in the room, I bet this whole scenario probably left a bad taste in their subconsciousness, as the entire team, fans and more importantly Lu felt it was time to move on, but it didn't happen.
The team will never say that, but I bet it lingers a bit.

We'd just accept their high priced dman in return Campbell.

With Campbell it would enable the team to trade Edler to either the Flyers or Redwings whoever ponies up two young guns first and that's it, no need to bicker about adding just a little more (picks etc) where the other team backs out.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If we move Luongo to Florida for a decent piece or two or picks I would be glad to see Campbell come back in the deal. He will have two years left at 7.1 million cap. In a full season he still gets close to or just over 50 points.

As you suggest we can the easily afford to trade Edler for a nice return. Campbell provides the PP with an upgrade and buys players like Tanev, Stanton and Corrado two more years to keep developing.

We could end up with a few nice pieces trading those two.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:If we move Luongo to Florida for a decent piece or two or picks I would be glad to see Campbell come back in the deal. He will have two years left at 7.1 million cap. In a full season he still gets close to or just over 50 points.

As you suggest we can the easily afford to trade Edler for a nice return. Campbell provides the PP with an upgrade and buys players like Tanev, Stanton and Corrado two more years to keep developing.

Good plan.

With the Timmy Thomas debacle in Florida, combined with Luongo's solid season, I could see Florida wanting to solidify that position. You could probably build a respectable goaltending duo out of Lack and a UFA (Hiller, Elliott, Greiss, JSG, Scrivens, Halak).
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Hockey Widow wrote:If we move Luongo to Florida for a decent piece or two or picks I would be glad to see Campbell come back in the deal. He will have two years left at 7.1 million cap. In a full season he still gets close to or just over 50 points.

I heard an interesting tidbit today from a friend who has been pretty reliable in the past - said that 4 players have been approached about potentially waiving their NTC and that one has given the green light. When I pressed further he only said that the one that has agreed is not a d-man. HW, have you heard anything to this effect?

I immediately thought Edler at first as he had apparently agreed to go to Detriot, but as this is a forward you have to think it's Kesler or Burrows.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

$lacker wrote:

I heard an interesting tidbit today from a friend who has been pretty reliable in the past - said that 4 players have been approached about potentially waiving their NTC and that one has given the green light. When I pressed further he only said that the one that has agreed is not a d-man. HW, have you heard anything to this effect?

I immediately thought Edler at first as he had apparently agreed to go to Detriot, but as this is a forward you have to think it's Kesler or Burrows.
If anyone needs a change of scenery it's Burr, change is good! especially when things aren't clicking and everythings going into a downward spiral.

Montreal would take him, say Prust and Tinordi? idk

Or trade to him to AV's Rangers for Callahan, yes I know he's injured a lot and will get overpaid, but if we trade for him, maybe he could take a bit of paycut for $5M per ish if not, let him walk and MG dusts his hands and clears up Burrows/Callahan's cap hits, Aquabros say thanks for the savings, and MG has a lot more money to play with.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

$lacker wrote:

What are the odds it's Hansen?

Both Burrows and Kesler would be head-scratchers as (Burrows' horrawful season notwithstanding) they both would appear to be the kinds of players Torts would want to have around.

I still don't think anything is likely to happen before the end of the season though. Maybe it's just another shot across the bows of particular players, or just management looking to establish what assets they have available to move should something drop into their laps.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote: What are the odds it's Hansen?

Both Burrows and Kesler would be head-scratchers as (Burrows' horrawful season notwithstanding) they both would appear to be the kinds of players Torts would want to have around.

I still don't think anything is likely to happen before the end of the season though. Maybe it's just another shot across the bows of particular players, or just management looking to establish what assets they have available to move should something drop into their laps.
Hansen doesn't have a NTC. Not til next season.

It wouldn't shock me if it was Burrows. But I can't imagine the return would be too good. Is there anything worse than selling low? Because I'd have to think Hansen would return more than Burrows at this point, given age and contract.

Hard to pick the four players... Higgins is actually having a good season, the Sedins just resigned, Bieksa seems like a Tortorella guy, Garrison and Hamhuis are on value-deals and are the two guys I'd keep around...

Edler-Kesler-Burrows.... Luongo?? :lol:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I am getting to the point where I need to see a core guy moved if for no other reason than to see some acknowledgement from management (and ownership) that what we have ain’t working and things need to change.

Aside from Kesler, Higgins is the deadline deal guy who would garner the biggest return. 20 goal, two-way veterans on $2.5M contracts are rare, which is why we should keep him IMO.

I would love to see Burrows and Hansen gone. I've seen enough from these two and think we could easily upgrade.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Acchttp://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canuc ... story.html

According to Gillis the team will be alright. There is nothing too much wrong it's all because of in juries.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canuck-One wrote:Acchttp://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canuc ... story.html

According to Gillis the team will be alright. There is nothing too much wrong it's all because of in juries.
Seriously, what else could he say?

Besides the injuries, the Canucks are still one or two top-six forwards away from being a playoffs team. :(
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Jovocop wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:Acchttp://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canuc ... story.html

Seriously, what else could he say?

Besides the injuries, the Canucks are still one or two top-six forwards away from being a playoffs team. :(
I agree publically he should say this but he better not believe it.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

$lacker wrote:

Interesting. I haven't heard anything on this but I will ask around.

So some type of NTC:

Dank
Hank
Kesler
Burrows
Higgins

Bieksa
Hamhuis
Garrison
Edler

Luongo.

4 have been asked, one has given the green light and not a D'man.

You can speculate that perhaps those with modified NTC may haven been asked but I don't really know who has what. One has to be Luongo you would think. Interesting indeed.
The only HW the Canucks need