Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by SKYO »

like how I took out your crude language? haha
RoyalDude wrote:Skyo, you would trade Tanev for Matthias or Shore?

Lets weaken our defence with a great contributor in Tanev to fix something else
with players whom are a big giant unknown guess that very well may not fix that something else.
Tanev and Booth our the teams only trade bait that are tradeable and don't have NTC's.
Our defense is our strength right now, the 3rd line is in shambles, Matthias as said ad nauseam would solidify it.
He's still young, big/lanky has a solid two way game, room for improvement yet experienced enough to contribute to a Cup run right now.
Matthias is probably being sought after by more than a few teams I bet and Tanev is what it could take to land him.

RoyalDude wrote: Trading with a team with a culture of losing has been really good for Gillis in the past.
Those players in Florida know what it takes to win
Agreed those Florida players in the right situation could help any team, like Horton and Campbell did in Boston when they helped the Bruins win the cup. Can't just judge the Florida deals on Booth/Ballard.
RoyalDude wrote: If gillis has bold moves in his blood as he claims I'd explore Evander Kane. 2014 is a weak draft class, throw in Gaunce and Kassian

Let's face it Kassian ain't working. We need help now in the top 6.
I like this move, lets hope Kane demands a trade out of Winnipeg! Kassian + Tanev + pick should suffice imesho.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:Shit dbr exposed the kinks in the armour of my proposal. Should not have assumed that the flaws in it would go unnoticed. dbr, you dawg
I'm just saying, people probably shouldn't hold their breath for the missing piece.

We have a pretty good team right now but it's not the cream of the crop and the kind of guy we'd probably need to add in order to change that is more of an offseason acquisition.. I just hope things fall into place for the team to aggressively pursue that piece this offseason.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Shit dbr exposed the kinks in the armour of my proposal. Should not have assumed that the flaws in it would go unnoticed. dbr, you dawg
I'm just saying, people probably shouldn't hold their breath for the missing piece.

We have a pretty good team right now but it's not the cream of the crop and the kind of guy we'd probably need to add in order to change that is more of an offseason acquisition.. I just hope things fall into place for the team to aggressively pursue that piece this offseason.
Should be way better options this upcoming off season compared to this years as well, plus more cap space! :thumbs:

Anyways I predict MG will make a small trade this season, even it's just another checking center for added depth for a post season run.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

RoyalDude wrote:Fuck Skyo, you would trade Tanev for Matthias or Shore? That's smart. Lets weaken our defence with a great contributor in Tanev to fix something else with players whom are a big giant unknown guess that very well may not fix that something else. Round round we go.

Trading with a team with a culture of losing has been really good for Gillis in the past. Those players in Florida know what it takes to win
Jason Garrison and Chris Higgins played in Florida . So did Luongo .
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Art Vandelay wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Fuck Skyo, you would trade Tanev for Matthias or Shore? That's smart. Lets weaken our defence with a great contributor in Tanev to fix something else with players whom are a big giant unknown guess that very well may not fix that something else. Round round we go.

Trading with a team with a culture of losing has been really good for Gillis in the past. Those players in Florida know what it takes to win
Jason Garrison and Chris Higgins played in Florida . So did Luongo .
quit being such a blatant fact-pointer...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Per Elliotte Friedman:
23. I do believe the Vancouver Canucks are interested in centre Shawn Matthias, who has had a rough season after a very strong 2012-13. I thought Philadelphia was too, only to be told this was "bad info."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... akins.html

I like the kid, and wonder what the price being bantered about would be. That said, you wonder what kind of an upgrade he would be and where he would fit - unless this would be the first domino to fall with other moves to follow. Otherwise, you can classify it as another half-measure when something more radical is called for.

Still, he would fit the Tortorella mold. I wonder how long Gillis' patience will last before he decides that the roster won't solve its own issues and make changes to it. Funk or no funk, this team has to get better offensively.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Lancer wrote:I like the kid, and wonder what the price being bantered about would be. That said, you wonder what kind of an upgrade he would be and where he would fit - unless this would be the first domino to fall with other moves to follow. Otherwise, you can classify it as another half-measure when something more radical is called for.

Still, he would fit the Tortorella mold. I wonder how long Gillis' patience will last before he decides that the roster won't solve its own issues and make changes to it. Funk or no funk, this team has to get better offensively.
I don't know anything about Matthias, so I don't understand the hype. From what I can tell, he's a big, young bottom six centre whose ceiling is perhaps a third line pivot. His faceoff percentage is a dreadful 40%. He hasn't scored with any regularity since 2007 in junior, so I certainly wouldn't expect anything more a third liner. If the long-term plan really is to play Kesler on the wing, then yes, we need another centre and Matthias may fit the bill.

As far as cost goes, if it was more than a second rounder I'd be disappointed.

Edit: I'm curious as to why you believe he would fit the Tortorella mould. Is he known for working his balls off along the boards? Is he in fantastic shape?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

A good time to grab Matthias (buying low) probably cost a 2nd(2014) + 4th in 2015 and a scrap prospect.

2014 isn't supposed to be that great of a draft and as someone else pointed out a 4th round pick never works out well for the Canucks. (Re: Welsh/Dalpe trade discussion)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=132836
Luke Schenn available and with the right deal Brayden could be included.

Edler + _____? :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Im almost certain that Matthias and his two goals will solve our anemic offence which has scored 4 goals in the last 4 games and whose PP is 28th in the league, these bottom 6'ers, ya just can't have enough of them.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

SKYO wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=132836

Luke is a pretty bad defenseman from what I hear.

LINK http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... uke+schenn
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=132836

Edler + Booth... for the Schenn brothers. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Schenn's been a healthy scratch on one of the worst bluelines in the league.

The downgrade from Edler to Luke would be vastly larger than the upgrade from Booth to Brayden..

(Oh yeah and there's the little matter of convincing Edler to waive his NTC, midseason, to go play for a clusterfuck of a franchise with no more pressure than any other player whose acquisition cost can be traced back to a lottery pick and a first line center..)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dbr wrote:Schenn's been a healthy scratch on one of the worst bluelines in the league.

The downgrade from Edler to Luke would be vastly larger than the upgrade from Booth to Brayden..

(Oh yeah and there's the little matter of convincing Edler to waive his NTC, midseason, to go play for a clusterfuck of a franchise with no more pressure than any other player whose acquisition cost can be traced back to a lottery pick and a first line center..)
Well I must say I completely disagree with you Dave

... both on the value of the Schenn Brothers and the value in dumping the Booth contract.

But you're probably right in that Edler wouldn't waive to go to Philly.

I could see him waiving to go to the Big Apple though.

Especially if Gillis could get Torts to hurt his widdle Swedish feelings.

Eddy could be reunited with his pal AV and there are perhaps enough fellow Swedes there to keep him happy

(Lundqvist/Stralman/Hagelin).

Edler + Booth... FOR... Nash + Del Zotto :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Strangelove wrote:
Edler + Booth... FOR... Nash + Del Zotto :mex:
Rangers won't give up Nash for that, lol.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises