Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Edler + Booth... FOR... Nash + Del Zotto :mex:
Rangers won't give up Nash for that, lol.
Well they are apparently trying to unload Del Zotto right now.

And most say the recently concussed Nash has a not-so-great contract (takes him to age 34).

But fine, throw in what ever else is necessary to even things out.

I really have no idea.

I just know that the salaries add up pretty well.

And that Canucks would like to dump Booth, Rags would like to dump Del Zotto.

And that both Edler and Nash have great value.

And that NY is a destination Edler would likely waive for.

I think the two teams make for good trading partners considering the fact we swapped coaches.

What do you think about my trade suggestion as a nucleus for a deal.

What would you add to make it more appealing to the Rangers? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
JonT21
CC Veteran

Post by JonT21 »

What do you think torts relationship with zotto and Nash were in NY. I'm more curious to see if del zotto meshes well with torts
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

And most say the recently concussed Nash has a not-so-great contract (takes him to age 34).

I really have no idea.

I think the two teams make for good trading partners considering the fact we swapped coaches.

I definitely like the idea of getting Nash. He would definitely help us in the scoring and toughness department.

I'd pretty much throw in any prospect not named Horvat and Shinkaruk to get the deal done (along with Edler and Booth).
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

JonT21 wrote:What do you think torts relationship with zotto and Nash were in NY. I'm more curious to see if del zotto meshes well with torts
I think it's ok from what I know.

Outside of Richards and Gaborik, I think Torts pretty much got on with most. I'm not really sure though.

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

JonT21 wrote:What do you think torts relationship with zotto and Nash were in NY. I'm more curious to see if del zotto meshes well with torts
I think Torts had Del Zotto in the dog house for awhile (AV seems to have him in there permanently)

Not a problem though (hey Torts would be so overjoyed to be rid of weirdo Booth he'd prolly hug Del Zotto)

I'm pretty sure Torts and Nash got along famously.

I seem to recall Torts saying good things about Nash in the post-season

(apparently he created a lot of chances and hit a few posts in his playoff baptism).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: I definitely like the idea of getting Nash. He would definitely help us in the scoring and toughness department.

I'd pretty much throw in any prospect not named Horvat and Shinkaruk to get the deal done (along with Edler and Booth).
Now that I think about it, Sather probably would insist on Hansen (maybe giving us a 2nd back).

I'd do it, this team needs a shakeup.

But then I like Nash more than most... and dislike Edler more than most.

Rangers were winning while Nash was out with a concussion.

We need to beef up our top 6 to compete with the California teams.

We know AV would be screaming "HELL YES" to Edler + Hansen.

You know your team is having a rough year when the Great Strangelove is thinking blockbuster...
Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Would Nash yield

ImageImageImage

as a top line?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Nash is an overpaid has been, his star is falling at the speed of light. But it would be just like Gillis to trade for him and that contract.

Del Zotto is another Ballard.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

RoyalDude wrote:
Del Zotto is another Ballard.
You listen to the TEAM too much.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

CFP! wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Del Zotto is another Ballard.
You listen to the TEAM too much.
Come on now, where are the * mod edit*? Try to keep it civil... :P
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Strangelove wrote:You know your team is having a rough year when the Great Strangelove is thinking blockbuster...
Honestly, I think too many Canuck fans are way too negative. Not saying that you are, but I don't think the Canucks are in too bad a shape for both short term and long term.

Short term: yeah, we've stunk of late, but all teams go through slumps. Detroit lost like 5-6 in a row but their fans haven't thrown in the towel. In a weird sort of way, maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the Canucks are having so much trouble scoring at current, while the refs are giving us the short end of the stick. Contrast this to how these problems only surfaced during the 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 seasons in the playoffs. Maybe we'll be better off for it, who knows. The 1994 Canucks didn't do nearly as well in the regular season as the 1992 and 1993 version of our teams if I recall correctly........similarly, the Detroit Redwings weren't nearly as good on paper as their 1995/1996 team, or even their 1995 team that were swept by the Devils. In both instances, both "inferior" teams did better in the post-season because they had gone through so much adversity.

Long term: I still think the key to this team is Shinkaruk and Horvat. If Horvat and Shinkaruk can hit their peak or come close to their peak sometime between 2014 and 2016, while the twins, Kesler, and Lou play like they did at the start of the season, then this team is as good as any.......and I think this core will have another shot at a cup. 2015/2016 could be a good fucking year for us.

And again - if a franchise player like Claude Giroux is being shopped, you can swap Shinkaruk and Horvat for someone like that and our window is re-opened where we'd be at our 2010-2012 levels.

For non-franchise but still superstar guys like Evander Kane and Rick Nash (assuming someone like Giroux isn't available), make every and any prospect and/or draft pick available that is not named Shinkaruk and Horvat.

Making a move this year will be tough due to the cap (unless a team is willing to take on Booth's contract), but like I said........Horvat and Shinkaruk are waiting in the wings.

I'm willing to bet money that after the 2007-2008 season, the "urine crew" were probably bemoaning the fall of the franchise...........but we then saw what happened in between the years of 2008-2012. The core achieved everything under the sun except the cup.......which was one game away.

Our time will come again.

The Dark Indian Rises
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thanks for the pep talk BK, it IS nice to have some lovely prospects on the way.

I think most Canuck fans expected a lackluster season this year.

I think most were also hoping the Canucks might get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle this year.

As an aside, I still strongly feel that Gillis/Lou/Aquaman all know Lou will be bought out next summer

(I originally stated this theory right after the Schneider trade).

Most Nuckers are convinced Aquaman would never do this, based upon a silly rumour started by a local hack.

Most Nuckers are out of touch with 'common sense'.

Oxymoronic wot?

I think it's fair to assume Gillis & Co. asked Roberto for just one more year.

Then....

$1.4m per year for the next 16 years and it doesn't count towards the cap (compliance buyout).

Gets rid of a bad contract along with the future Recapture Penalty.

Aquaman knows he stands to make more money long-term by making all that go away.

But he also knew he could squeeze one more year out of Lou while he sees what he has in Lack.

(both potential compliance buyouts possessed by each team must be used by the summer of 2014)

Folks who think Canucks will waste their only remaining COMPLIANCE buyout on Booth are out to lunch.

Unless he makes a miracle comeback, they are looking at a REGULAR buyout for Booth

(~$1m cap-hit in 2014-15 plus ~$1.6m cap-hit in 2015-16).

Anyhoo, here's hoping they spend that extra $8m+ wisely :mex:

... which is why I'm all for adding a large contract (Nash?) anytime now at the expense of depth.

Big picture.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:Well I must say I completely disagree with you Dave

... both on the value of the Schenn Brothers and the value in dumping the Booth contract.
Well I guess to shift the equation around a bit.. I'd say that Booth is about as valuable a contributor as Luke Schenn at this point (neither can stay in the lineup on teams that need them badly) and in a deal where Booth leaves and Luke arrives he would instantly be the leading candidate for our remaining compliance buy out - unless he turned his game around in a big way, but given his game has been heading in the same direction for a few years now I wouldn't bet on it.

Given those two players more or less cancel one another out, and that Alex Edler is clearly a more effective player than Brayden Schenn in the here and now.. that's how I arrive at this not being a great deal for the Canucks.

Granted, I guess you can say that Schenn's future potential makes him as valuable as a currently superior player. And granted, the value in dumping Booth's contract is significant (when it's not in exchange for a different leading buyout candidate).
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Burrows + Booth for Brian Campbell

Burrows + Booth for Brian Campbell

Think Brian Campbell would help turn that frown upside down, and get our Power Play back on track?

If there's one guy out there that could replace the loss of Christian Erhoff.......and could be realistically had............it's that guy.

It's a shite contract, but we get rid of a shite contract in Booth.

I love Burrows but maybe at this stage in their careers, a guy like Campbell would be more valuable to our team?

The Dark Indian Rises
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

I really have no idea.

Depending on what Torts has to say about the players coming in and whether Edler would waive his NTC, this might be the kind of trade the team needs - unless Nash really is damaged goods. That said, Gillis would likely have to throw in more to compensate for New York taking Booth.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.