Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Thomas K-thair
AHL Prospect

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Thomas K-thair »

The Canucks need to change the core. So if it were up to me Garrison and Kesler would be the guys i would ship out. I still think Edler can be a good player in the right system with a good coach. He may benefit the most by having a coach like Barry Trotz come to the Canucks.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I could see Florida having interest in Edler, not sure if he's enough to get up to the first overall. Edler and #6 for number 1? Would Edler waive to go to Florida? Could we ship him to Detroit for the 15th overall, would 6+15 do the trick?
That should be a non-starter. Too much to give in a draft where the gap between no. 1 and 6 isn't like it was in the draft where we had a Crosby, Stamkos etc.. available. Wasn't it a year ago that the Hurricanes were contemplating trading their 2013 No. 1 pick (in a deeper draft) for Edler?
True, this is much closer to the McKinnon-Jones or Yakupov-Murray draft. But there is consensus, and (unfortunately for the Canucks) the 6th pick is in the 2nd tier of prospects. There are the top-3 (Ekblad and the Sams), and some feel Draisaitl could sneak in to the Oilers due to his size. Dal Colle seems locked in at 5 and then the guessing begins.

In order to get to that pick, it would have to be an overpayment, the pieces we have are either tweeners (Higgins/Hansen), prospects we really should be keeping (Horvat, Jensen etc.) or guys that have low values after piss-poor season (Edler, Burrows). There's Kesler, but I don't think any of those teams are on his list, and I'm not even sure Kesler alone is enough to get you a top-3 pick in any NHL draft.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Usually fans overvalue their team's players but I think Edler is currently being under valued due to an extended rough stretch. There is no *way* he is this bad. Perhaps he needs a change of scenery but he is a rare commodity & would not be easily replaced via free agency. I don't think he'll ever be that no.1 QB but he's certainly capable of returning to a no. 2 or 3 slot. I think other GMs would recognize that & his value should be more than a 1st (depending on how high of course, it would be a case of selling low). The Canucks will recognize that he's still young and has a lot of miles left ...if they keep him, other D need to move out and the right partner needs to be brought in. I think he was lost under Torts & it would be a mistake to just unload him.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The thing with Edler is his back. He will never recover to 100%. He still has periods of time with pain and mobility issues. Reports are that he is not at risk of re-injuring the back but that it is a chronic condition that he can play through/with. I think he has even talked about his back never being 100% again. There is a risk as he gets older and has more playing time under his belt that he has issues. No biggie as most of these guys play through nagging injuries that can plague them their entire careers, except it is the back.

Will this change how he "develops"? Will he show signs of a hurting back in his physical play, speed, turning and pivoting? Add to his that as a guy on the point he must have more blocked shots than the rest of the team combined and I'm not sure how much better he will get. I think he can be better in the plus/minus stat for sure but I also think we are seeing the best of him. I don't predict a strong fall off in his play and do see the possibility of him returning to a decent point production and better plus/minus, I don't see him getting that much better. I don't see him ever being an elite #1 on D but a steady 2-3 guy.

So while I don't under value him I don't over value him either. If he could land us a decent pick and prospect and another3-4 type on D, all while shedding his 5 million cap, I see that as progress. If he would waive for Florida I would love to flip him for their first overall pick plus a prospect. I think he is worth that.

But I would also flip him for E Kane if he would got to Winnipeg. It's just hard to know if he will waive and if so to where. If both Boston and Detroit are still interested I would like to see what they would offer.

But one thing Linden has said was that when he first saw Edler at Edler's first camp he asked "who is that kid? He has great potential." Or words to that effect. If that is any indication than I suspect Linden may place high value upon him, not a bad thing, just an indication that he may not be available.

Garrison, Bieksa and Hamhuis I doubt will waive, ever.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'd be happy as a clam Russell if we got rid of Garrison. Not my kind of player, extremely overrated because of being. Local boy and you know we all love our homegrown talent. Bad signing by Gillis. We are stuck with him, that contract is tough to move, no GM in his right mind would want it. I like Edler much more than Garrison but Edler has a market. Hate to see him go but him and Kesler are good way to a promising new future with this team that will get the fans once again excited about them. The fans do not want reclamation projects and journeyman and 3rd and 4th line tweakings. It's bold move time

HW, the E Kane desires? Wake up and smell the coffee, not Lindens kind if guy plus we got no assets without NTCs that can make that happen unless you are talking Bo Horvat and our 6th pick and you definitely do not want to do that for that cancer in the room
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Shea Weber like Jamie Benn have made it clear that they do not want to play for Vancouver. Can't believe we are doing the Weber dreams again. I got a feeling that the Oilers are going to make a serious pitch for Weber or Floridas 1st overall to get Ekblad with Yakupov, Eberle, Gagner, the 3rd overall as parts available
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

RoyalDude wrote:Shea Weber like Jamie Benn have made it clear that they do not want to play for Vancouver. Can't believe we are doing the Weber dreams again. I got a feeling that the Oilers are going to make a serious pitch for Weber or Floridas 1st overall to get Ekblad with Yakupov, Eberle, Gagner, the 3rd overall as parts available
Why in the world would Weber chose to go to Edmonton but not Vancouver? When have he and Benn ever made it clear that they didn't want to play for the Canucks? I know Kariya and Sakic did but this is the first I've heard of those two.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ClamRussel wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Shea Weber like Jamie Benn have made it clear that they do not want to play for Vancouver. Can't believe we are doing the Weber dreams again. I got a feeling that the Oilers are going to make a serious pitch for Weber or Floridas 1st overall to get Ekblad with Yakupov, Eberle, Gagner, the 3rd overall as parts available
Why in the world would Weber chose to go to Edmonton but not Vancouver? When have he and Benn ever made it clear that they didn't want to play for the Canucks? I know Kariya and Sakic did but this is the first I've heard of those two.
I don't think Weber has a NTC. Pretty sure Philly built that into his contract before he signed it.

Benn is happy in Dallas, but Friedman reported in 2012 that the Canucks were VERY close to offer-sheeting him $7.5M on a one year deal. He's happy with his role and the team there, he doesn't feel the need to assume the pressure of being the home-town saviour in BC, especially with Dallas on the up-swing and the Canucks heading the other way. I don't think it's a case of not wanting to play in BC, but just being happy in Dallas.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

You are correct, Weber does not have a NTC. Nashville did not have to offer one when they matched and reports were that Weber's agent asked them to and they declined. So Nashville is free to trade him to whomever they wish. MG had tried to convince him to sign a one year contract with the Canucks, knowing it would be matched by Nashville, with the promise that when he became FA he had a long term deal with the Canucks. The problem was the old CBA was expiring and no one knew what the new landscape would be and the thought by Weber's camp, and rightly so, was that the new CBA would be restrictive with respect to term and closing the cap loopholes that would take away Weber's windfall.

If not for the expiring CBA Weber would have done a one year deal with someone and gone to FA the next years whether MG landed him then or not who knows but Weber chose to chase the big contract and now Nashville us free to unload him if they wish to do a mini rebuild and Weber will have to suck it up. But Philly may be the team to step up with a huge offer so he may make out ok.

Of course his contract is subject to cap recapture but it won't be as onerous as Luongo,s as his cap hit is relatively high in comparison.

I think we create myth's around BC boys. They either want to play here because they are local or they don't because they are local. That can be said for every player playing somewhere. Karia did'n't want to play here because of what he perceived as mistreatment of his brother and comments BB made about Karyia being selfish after getting all that money from Anaheim and jumping ship for 1 million to play with the AV's and a chance at a cup. Brett Hull once said he would love to play here. Never can tell unless the player comes right out and says it. Like Horton who wanted completely out of the spotlight so he went to Columbus.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:I'd be happy as a clam Russell if we got rid of Garrison. Not my kind of player, extremely overrated because of being. Local boy and you know we all love our homegrown talent. Bad signing by Gillis. We are stuck with him, that contract is tough to move, no GM in his right mind would want it. I like Edler much more than Garrison but Edler has a market. Hate to see him go but him and Kesler are good way to a promising new future with this team that will get the fans once again excited about them. The fans do not want reclamation projects and journeyman and 3rd and 4th line tweakings. It's bold move time

HW, the E Kane desires? Wake up and smell the coffee, not Lindens kind if guy plus we got no assets without NTCs that can make that happen unless you are talking Bo Horvat and our 6th pick and you definitely do not want to do that for that cancer in the room

Hence why I said I'd love to flip Edler for Kane if we could. Don't want to give up prospects and picks for him.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote:
Just have to remember Edmonton probably doesn't want to give up Hall or RNH at all, they first and foremost want to get rid of Yak in any way possible, but seems like most teams would be cautious trading for that crazy lil Russian.

Plus it seems like Nashville would want a top 2 center and to move up in the draft.

So if Kesler would waive to go to Nashville (who knows) we can add the #6 + Tanev + if need be for Shea W., if we sweetened the pot further we could get Wilson as well, as their fans seem iffy on his development.

And RD, Weber spoke to only 5 teams when he was an RFA before he signed that mega offersheet, and Vancouver was one of those teams, so it's safe to say he would be ok to play for the Canucks np..
July 2012 - But Weber's agent, Jarrett Bousquet, told Sportsnet on Thursday night that the Canucks were one of five teams Weber met with in recent days. The others were the Flyers, San Jose, Detroit and the New York Rangers.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Vanc ... z30o4X0EHB
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If I was Edmonton I'd give up RNH, Yak and their first for Weber. If they have a chance to grab a guy like that under contract forever, you do it.

Heck Florida could give up the 1st and a couple of players and or prospects. Nashville could draft Ekbald and have him and Jones there to anchor their defence for years to come.

Or maybe Nashville waits until next year and try to get the number one then.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ClamRussel wrote:
They didn't say that . He's full of shit- just trying to stir the pot.

Joe Sakic had a great thing in Colorado so I don't think it was a case of him not wanting to play here as opposed to really liking it there. He did take the offer sheet from NY so there's that but my point still stands..... sort of . :?

Paul Kariya on the other hand definitely didn't want to play here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:If I was Edmonton I'd give up RNH, Yak and their first for Weber. If they have a chance to grab a guy like that under contract forever, you do it.

Heck Florida could give up the 1st and a couple of players and or prospects. Nashville could draft Ekbald and have him and Jones there to anchor their defence for years to come.

Or maybe Nashville waits until next year and try to get the number one then.
Edmonton ain't giving up their pride and joy of RNH there ONLY good center, Yak and Gagner is their offer, small skilled players with the russian factor, most teams wince at that for a player like Shea imo.

Florida could offer something good, but even with new owners it seems like Weber might be out of their budget a tad.

Nashville won't want to wait till next either as SW's signing bonus kicks in iirc July1st for $13M, I think they would want to trade him before that.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Edmonton ain't giving up their pride and joy of RNH there ONLY good center, Yak and Gagner is their offer, small skilled players with the russian factor, most teams wince at that for a player like Shea imo.
No I think the Predators would want Eberle, 3rd overall and another prospect (maybe Klefbom or Marincin). Eberle is signed for another 5 years, the 3rd overall gives them 3 years ELC and a couple more RFA years.

Nashville picks 11th in the first round. Definitely in Fleury/Tuch/McCann territory. Losing Weber would be a brutal blow to the Franchise, but picking up Bennett/Fleury/Eberle/Klefbom in one offseason would go a long way to re-tooling that team.