Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Lancer »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Apparently Tallon is open to trading the #1 overall pick...
Yeah, I just listened to the audio on that and he sounds serious.

Said he's not just listening to offers, said he's actively shopping the pick.

Said they have a lot of young players and need some solid vets to help them along.

Said he's got the green light from the new owners to spend to the cap.

Rumours are that he wants Nikolaj Ehlers, who should definitely be there at the #6 spot.

Panthers main need is an established Top Four dee.

And your Vancouver Canucks have one to spare.

#1 overall (take Reinhart) for #6 overall + Edler + ??

This is the trade fantasy thread right? :mex:
I would ideally like the Canucks to come up with a package that lets them keep the 6th pick as well (then draft Virtanen), but if the 6th pick is what would get it done, then so be it. Edler is likely the only significant piece the Canucks could realistically offer and there likely would have to be more to it.

If they can swing it, though, I would go for Ekblad over Bennett - especially if they have to send Edler the other way. Ekblad could anchor the blueline for the next couple of years.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lancer wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:Apparently Tallon is open to trading the #1 overall pick...
Yeah, I just listened to the audio on that and he sounds serious.

Said he's not just listening to offers, said he's actively shopping the pick.

Said they have a lot of young players and need some solid vets to help them along.

Said he's got the green light from the new owners to spend to the cap.

Rumours are that he wants Nikolaj Ehlers, who should definitely be there at the #6 spot.

Panthers main need is an established Top Four dee.

And your Vancouver Canucks have one to spare.

#1 overall (take Reinhart) for #6 overall + Edler + ??

This is the trade fantasy thread right? :mex:
I would ideally like the Canucks to come up with a package that lets them keep the 6th pick as well (then draft Virtanen), but if the 6th pick is what would get it done, then so be it. Edler is likely the only significant piece the Canucks could realistically offer and there likely would have to be more to it.

If they can swing it, though, I would go for Ekblad over Bennett - especially if they have to send Edler the other way. Ekblad could anchor the blueline for the next couple of years.
Did Tallon say anything about wanting to get a 1st round pick back this year?

Edler + Higgins + Corrado + 2nd would probably get it done.

Then draft Ekblad and whoever is available at the 6th overall.

Suddenly our youth looks like: Jensen, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Ekblad, Ritchie/Virtanen/Dal Colle.....

Yeah.....if wishes were fishes. That package wouldn't get it done.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Oh man, dare to dream Arnold or what?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ekblad over Reinhart, Mëds? Terrible! You don't pass up on a high IQ, super skilled. 6'-1", 200 lb centre from Vancouver for Ekblad. Plain stupid. Ekblad isn't Norris trophy material

Reinhart and Horvat as your 1 & 2 centres for the next decade is very appealing
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Ekblad over Reinhart, Mëds? Terrible! You don't pass up on a high IQ, super skilled. 6'-1", 200 lb centre from Vancouver for Ekblad. Plain stupid. Ekblad isn't Norris trophy material

Reinhart and Horvat as your 1 & 2 centres for the next decade is very appealing
I wasn't overly impressed with Reinhart at the WJC's.....although that could be said about most of Canada's roster.

It's also the only time I've seen him play, so I didn't really look into him much after that. I thought he was smaller than that. He looked to be closer to 5'-11", 170lbs.....so I was thinking to stay away from smaller guys right now.

The other thing I considered is that, despite what the team is saying right now, there is a better than average chance that we will be drafting in the top 14 again next season, trading up into the top 10 gives us a shot at some legitimate centers. The top 10 prospects, as it stands now, has 6 centers in the list. Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel, Colin White, Matt Barzal, Daniel Sprong, and Dylan Strome. Only one defenseman in that list that sounds like he's going to be a top pairing guy, and that is Noah Hanifin.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reinhart as of now is 6'-1" 190 lbs.

The kid is extreme smart and slick with the puck, sees the ice extremely well, doesn't give up possession easy. Very patient with the puck and can separate himself from opposing players with ease. He isn't Connor McDavid flashy, he's more like Hank Sedin but a better nose for scoring than Hank.

Ekblad is a decent d-man, good in all areas but not great in any one area. Hes not Doughty like star potential.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Reinhart as of now is 6'-1" 190 lbs.

The kid is extreme smart and slick with the puck, sees the ice extremely well, doesn't give up possession easy. Very patient with the puck and can separate himself from opposing players with ease. He isn't Connor McDavid flashy, he's more like Hank Sedin but a better nose for scoring than Hank.

Ekblad is a decent d-man, good in all areas but not great in any one area. Hes not Doughty like star potential.
Canucks can get their offensive minded defenseman Christian Ehrhoff replacement when they trade Kesler to the Pens for Pouliot.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Shea Weber wasn't considered to be "Doughty-like" star potential either. Drafted 49th overall in 2003, Weber always projected to be a strong defensive defenseman with a big shot, but he was never considered to be a future Norris trophy winner. How much of Shea's success is due to Barry Trotz? I would say that Trotz should get a fair amount of credit.

Maybe a guy like Ekblad fits that bill, with the right coach he becomes the forever missing piece of the Canucks back end.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:

Shea Weber wasn't considered to be "Doughty-like" star potential either. Drafted 49th overall in 2003, Weber always projected to be a strong defensive defenseman with a big shot, but he was never considered to be a future Norris trophy winner. How much of Shea's success is due to Barry Trotz? I would say that Trotz should get a fair amount of credit.

Maybe a guy like Ekblad fits that bill, with the right coach he becomes the forever missing piece of the Canucks back end.
Good point Mëds, this team has never had a #1 Norris trophy caliber dman in it's entire existence, Ekblad may or may not be that dman, but I guess it's why not take a chance on Ekblad? who could change that.

We could then package up RK or Edler and try to get a younger center who could be a solid center for years to come so we don't feel we missed out on Reinhart.

I'd see if Benning could steal Weber somehow first and foremost though. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Good point Mëds, this team has never had a #1 Norris trophy caliber dman in it's entire existence, Ekblad may or may not be that dman, but I guess it's why not take a chance on Ekblad? who could change that.

We could then package up RK or Edler and try to get a younger center who could be a solid center for years to come so we don't feel we missed out on Reinhart.

I'd see if Benning could steal Weber somehow first and foremost though. :thumbs:
With management in Nashville apparently going in a different direction now, and Trotz being gone, I think prying Weber out of Nashville is a much more doable thing than it was a month ago.....not necessarily for the Canucks, just in general for every team. From what I've heard about the way Trotz runs his show, I think he was likely a deciding factor in Weber's re-signing with the Predators even after Suter left for Minnesota. The fact that management has never been willing to spend what was needed in order to attract top offensive talent and get the Predators to a point of being competitive with the contending teams might mean that Weber isn't just available for the right price as far as the Preds are concerned, he might actually want out of Nashville altogether at this point. Of course this is just speculation.

The price tag for such a trade would certainly be a top 4 defenceman + a top flight prospect + a high 1st round pick + at least another prospect.

Quite frankly I can see Dale Tallon being the front-runner in such a deal at the draft, that is, if Florida actually had any desirable roster pieces to give back in such a deal. Campbell, Jovo, and Gilbert, being is veterans on the blueline. Campbell is way too expensive for what he brings, Jovo is going to be 38 this year, and Gilbert just isn't what the Predators would be looking at as a veteran return. The rest of their defensemen are young and inexperienced. But they could definitely give up the top pick and some youth.

Edit: I also don't really know if I would want to see the Canucks take on Weber and his contract. The guy is a $7.85M cap hit until he turns 41 in 2026. Wouldn't recapture apply to him the same as with Luongo? Even if Weber played until that age, the Canucks would be carrying nearly $8M in cap on a guy that wouldn't be contributing in nearly the same way. Is Weber a defenseman you bring in at this stage of the game if you think this core is done and we need to rebuild? A rebuild takes at least 4 years. Weber will be 32 going on 33 at that point. So now he's sliding out of his prime years just as the team is getting to the point of being a competitive with the big boys again. Is he another Lidstrom or Chara? Guys who are Norris candidates into their late 30's?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: With management in Nashville apparently going in a different direction now, and Trotz being gone, I think prying Weber out of Nashville is a much more doable thing than it was a month ago.....not necessarily for the Canucks, just in general for every team. From what I've heard about the way Trotz runs his show, I think he was likely a deciding factor in Weber's re-signing with the Predators even after Suter left for Minnesota. The fact that management has never been willing to spend what was needed in order to attract top offensive talent and get the Predators to a point of being competitive with the contending teams might mean that Weber isn't just available for the right price as far as the Preds are concerned, he might actually want out of Nashville altogether at this point. Of course this is just speculation.
1. Weber didn't resign in Nashville. He signed a contract with the Flyers, and the Predators matched it.

2. The Canucks don't have the assets to land him, imo. A team like the Oilers, DESPERATE for a top-pairing d-man, would give up a lot more for a guy under contract forever, without a NTC. I think the Oilers would put everyone but RNH and Hall on the table, and the Canucks can't compete with the likes of Eberle, Yakupov, Shutlz or the 3rd overall pick.
Quite frankly I can see Dale Tallon being the front-runner in such a deal at the draft, that is, if Florida actually had any desirable roster pieces to give back in such a deal. Campbell, Jovo, and Gilbert, being is veterans on the blueline. Campbell is way too expensive for what he brings, Jovo is going to be 38 this year, and Gilbert just isn't what the Predators would be looking at as a veteran return. The rest of their defensemen are young and inexperienced. But they could definitely give up the top pick and some youth.
I could see Florida having interest in Edler, not sure if he's enough to get up to the first overall. Edler and #6 for number 1? Would Edler waive to go to Florida? Could we ship him to Detroit for the 15th overall, would 6+15 do the trick?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I could see Florida having interest in Edler, not sure if he's enough to get up to the first overall. Edler and #6 for number 1? Would Edler waive to go to Florida? Could we ship him to Detroit for the 15th overall, would 6+15 do the trick?
That should be a non-starter. Too much to give in a draft where the gap between no. 1 and 6 isn't like it was in the draft where we had a Crosby, Stamkos etc.. available. Wasn't it a year ago that the Hurricanes were contemplating trading their 2013 No. 1 pick (in a deeper draft) for Edler?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mëds wrote: With management in Nashville apparently going in a different direction now, and Trotz being gone, I think prying Weber out of Nashville is a much more doable thing than it was a month ago.....not necessarily for the Canucks, just in general for every team. From what I've heard about the way Trotz runs his show, I think he was likely a deciding factor in Weber's re-signing with the Predators even after Suter left for Minnesota. The fact that management has never been willing to spend what was needed in order to attract top offensive talent and get the Predators to a point of being competitive with the contending teams might mean that Weber isn't just available for the right price as far as the Preds are concerned, he might actually want out of Nashville altogether at this point. Of course this is just speculation.
1. Weber didn't resign in Nashville. He signed a contract with the Flyers, and the Predators matched it.
Right, forgot about that. Did Weber and Nashville have to agree to the same terms as what Philly offered? Or could it have been restructured by Nashville.....either way both Shea and Preds got screwed by the Flyers there when Nashville matched. And they had to match, no question.
2. The Canucks don't have the assets to land him, imo. A team like the Oilers, DESPERATE for a top-pairing d-man, would give up a lot more for a guy under contract forever, without a NTC. I think the Oilers would put everyone but RNH and Hall on the table, and the Canucks can't compete with the likes of Eberle, Yakupov, Shutlz or the 3rd overall pick.
I agree with you there about the Canucks not having the assets to land him. I just can't see it. It would have to involve Edler, who probably wouldn't waive for Nashville, but the extra pieces just aren't in place for the Canucks to make a legitimate offer.
Island Canuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:Quite frankly I can see Dale Tallon being the front-runner in such a deal at the draft, that is, if Florida actually had any desirable roster pieces to give back in such a deal. Campbell, Jovo, and Gilbert, being is veterans on the blueline. Campbell is way too expensive for what he brings, Jovo is going to be 38 this year, and Gilbert just isn't what the Predators would be looking at as a veteran return. The rest of their defensemen are young and inexperienced. But they could definitely give up the top pick and some youth.
I could see Florida having interest in Edler, not sure if he's enough to get up to the first overall. Edler and #6 for number 1? Would Edler waive to go to Florida? Could we ship him to Detroit for the 15th overall, would 6+15 do the trick?
I don't think Edler + 6 is realistic. Edler + Hansen/Higgins + 2nd is more reasonable. Prospects are an unproven thing, there have been plenty of top 3 picks that have peaked as 3rd line players or disappeared altogether. The Panthers have said they are loaded with youth, so they're looking for experienced players, loading up an offer with one experienced guy and then draft picks and prospects is probably not meeting their needs. If this was 2015 and McDavid or Eichel were on the table, then the price is higher and worth paying.

Also with the way this team is going right now I think Edler to Detroit for their 15th is also going to include a player coming back, cap space aside, I think Edler is still worth more to the Red Wings than just a 15th overall in a somewhat "meh" draft. In that case I think, depending upon who the player is, you talk to Buffalo and try to move up to 2nd by dangling a player and the 15th.

Failing that you do whatever you can with that 15th and talk to every team in the top 10 and see what it would take to move up. Edmonton and Calgary are non-starters as divisional rivals, but getting a shot at either 2 of these wingers with size and skill, or a combination or Virtanen/Ritchie/Dal Colle and Haydn Fleury would be a pretty nice feather in our team's cap.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Betamax wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I could see Florida having interest in Edler, not sure if he's enough to get up to the first overall. Edler and #6 for number 1? Would Edler waive to go to Florida? Could we ship him to Detroit for the 15th overall, would 6+15 do the trick?
That should be a non-starter. Too much to give in a draft where the gap between no. 1 and 6 isn't like it was in the draft where we had a Crosby, Stamkos etc.. available. Wasn't it a year ago that the Hurricanes were contemplating trading their 2013 No. 1 pick (in a deeper draft) for Edler?
Ummm.....if that's true, Gillis should have been fired for not pulling the trigger then and there before Edler's NTC kicked in. The players who went 5-8 and 10 are all guys who would be worth having in our system at the loss of Edler.

I'm fairly certain that what Edler brought to the team over the last couple of seasons would have been replaceable in free agency at a lesser cap hit.

Just think, had Gillis actually been smart he would still have his job and our 2013 draft would have looked something like.....Monahan, Horvat, Shinkaruk. Shit. :P

Probably could have packaged our 2 of our picks with someone else and made a deal with Colorado or Tampa Bay!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It has been widely speculated that a significant number of teams had real interest in Edler before the July 1st NTC kicked in. It was also widely speculated that MG was over asking, the same way he over asked for Luongo. That was also speculated this past deadline day that he over asked for Edler.

Hard to know what's true in any of this. Is it a GM/media conspiracy or did MG have a hard time understanding the real hockey value of his players?

One thing for sure, when he decided you were gone you were gone, slandered, smeared, injured or jettisoned for next to nothing.
The only HW the Canucks need