Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by $lacker »

mathonwy wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Gillis can get max value ( ie good young players + prospects) , absolutely Kesler should be dealt. The guys plays 100 miles an hour and he is UFA in two seasons. He has a shitload of hard miles on him.

If the Blues offered Tank and a 1st pick I take it and run. If the Flyers offered Couturier + a 1st I also take it. I could see Anaheim looking hard at Kelser as well if he were available. He will command a 7 million + dollar deal in 2016, which will be his last chance to cash in . Vancouver can not afford 14 million on a 32 year old and a 36 year old as the top two centremen. And something tells me Henry aint goin nowhere.
Who's Tank? Chris Stewart?

You'd give up Kesler for Chris Stewart (who is inconsistent as fuck and defensively retarded) and a first round pick that is likely going to be between picks 25 and picks 30?

I think St. Louis would be the one that would be running after that pile of shit deal.

Couturier is a good young player but Couturier and a first is not enough for Kesler who would give the Flyers some crazy depth down the middle. Would Philly give up any prospects? Not likely as their shitty drafting skills rival that of the Nucks. Maybe Couturier, a first, 2nd and a third?
I think "tank" is Tarasenko... Him and a 1st still not enough. Re Philly would have to be B Schenn, Couturier and 1st to make Gillis consider.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Why is their always a trade scenario involving a Schenn brother in some shape or form like they still matter. Get you asses out of yesterday's failed promises in such prospects

The Schenns are overrated

I like Tarasenko

Wonder if Kesler would like going back to his alma mater in Columbus. Kesler for Johansen and something else?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:Why is their always a trade scenario involving a Schenn brother in some shape or form like they still matter. Get you asses out of yesterday's failed promises in such prospects

The Schenns are overrated

I like Tarasenko

Wonder if Kesler would like going back to his alma mater in Columbus. Kesler for Johansen and something else?
Hey pegleg, Brayden, is having a bit of break out season this year with 32 points so far at age 22. Luke on other hand has been underwhelming to say the least compared to JVR in TO.

Philly I can see trading for Kesler because they're a desperate hockey market. Columbus has no need to trade for Kesler whatsoever. Columbus is chock full of good young players and they don't have a hockey mad market that have unrealistic expectations. Columbus has the luxury of time and you aren't going to get Johansen of that organization.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

$lacker wrote:
I think "tank" is Tarasenko... Him and a 1st still not enough. Re Philly would have to be B Schenn, Couturier and 1st to make Gillis consider.

Get off the fucking bath salts. Maybe Philly will throwin in Giroux and Simmonds too. Couturier is a very good young player and the 1st from Philly would be mid round. Perhaps they coud sweeten the deal with Robert Hagg or Samuel Morin but no way they give up Couturier and Schenn and a 1st.

I would also take Schwartz instead of Tarasenko but I can't see the Blues doing that.

Maybe the Canucks could throw in Burrows' boat anchor of a contract and get Tarasenko and Berglund + prospect/pick .

Kesler is soon to be 30 and looking at a huge payday in two years. Not money wisely sent tying up 14 - 15 million in two aging centres in Sedin and Kesler.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Kesler, Tanev, 1st for Shea Weber. (Hank hands over the C after a year of utter dominance by Shea)

Edler for a center, boom - retool fast on the fly.

3am lonely valentines post. fuckyou in advance.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
$lacker wrote:

Get off the fucking bath salts.

No kidding. An in-his-prime Mike Richards (career .73 PPG) went for Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd. That might be similar to what we can expect for a Ryan Kesler (career .61 ppg). A blue-chip prospect, a big-bodied depth player with some offensive upside and a decent (2nd round) draft pick.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
$lacker wrote:

Get off the fucking bath salts.

No kidding. An in-his-prime Mike Richards (career .73 PPG) went for Schenn, Simmonds and a 2nd. That might be similar to what we can expect for a Ryan Kesler (career .61 ppg). A blue-chip prospect, a big-bodied depth player with some offensive upside and a decent (2nd round) draft pick.
Neither of you got the point of my post. I wasn't saying that's what he would go for or what was equal value, my point was that in order to trade Kesler it is going to take a huge OVERPAYMENT in order to make Gillis consider. Otherwise there is no point in trading a 29 yr old top 6 center when we have zero depth in that position... unless Gillis is committed to a 5 year rebuild, which we all know that he and particularly Aquilini are not!
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

Kesler's value may be at its highest point it's been at since he won the Selke. I don't know that he will ever get back to scoring 40 goals, nor winning a Selke again so this is probably the best time to trade him. Let's face it, our core isn't going to win a Stanley Cup. We aren't going to win a Cup with the Sedins as the focal point of our offense, and I don't see that Kesler is good enough offensively to lead this team to a Cup either. Might as well sell our valuable "now" assets and pick up some good pieces for the future.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

$lacker wrote:
Neither of you got the point of my post. I wasn't saying that's what he would go for or what was equal value, my point was that in order to trade Kesler it is going to take a huge OVERPAYMENT in order to make Gillis consider. Otherwise there is no point in trading a 29 yr old top 6 center when we have zero depth in that position... unless Gillis is committed to a 5 year rebuild, which we all know that he and particularly Aquilini are not!

Well then Gillis is a shitty GM if needs a huge overpayment just to pull the trigger on a trade involving Ryan Kesler. No GM in his right mind is going to bend over and offer up a payment like you suggested. The point I am making is that this team has hitched its wagon right or wrong to the twins for four more years and 7 million per season. I can't see them coughing up another 7 or 8 million for a 32 year old Kesler which is what he will be when he signs his next contract.

There is good young depth coming through the system at the centre ice postion but the problem is the team doesn't have a good NHL centre between the ages of 21 - 28 unless you consider Zac Dalpe or Jordan Schroeder good players. Sean Couturier is 21 and in his 3rd season. He is going to be a perennial 50- 60 point guy who plays hard, plays good D and will be a solid 2nd line pivot for years to come.

No idea what your point about a five year rebuild is regarding. I am advocating bringing in a good young impact player who can help the team now. Guys like Schwartz, Couturier, Tarasenko, Etem, Silfverberg are what I'm talking about. This team needs to get younger, quicker and better but it doesn't have to be a total tear down of the roster . I am against dealing Kesler for draft picks but people have to realize he is one of the few players on this team that could get good value and speed up the mini rebuild this team needs moving forward.Burrows and Luongo have little to no value. Edler has decent value and likely so does Garrison . That said if i had to put money on a guy who wouldn't be devastated to move on to certain teams #17 is at the top of my list. I can see RK okaying Anaheim, Rangers, St Lou, Chicago, Philly or Detroit, maybe even Hogtown, Washington perhaps. Can't see Boston or Pittsburgh interested.

I shudder if Kesler and Henrik are the top 2 centres on this team in three seasons tripping over their grey beards and chewing up 14 - 15 million in cap space.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The bottom line is this, in two years time Kesler will be a UFA and 31 on the downside of his career. The Sedins wil be 36. Burrows and Bieksa will be 33/34. That era in Canuck hockey? Stick a fork in it, it will be done. Do you think old man American Kesler will want to re-sign here and go through the inevitable growing pains of a rebuild around the new kids on the block - the Horvat crowd? No, he won't. Would not be surprised if he plays out his days back home in Detroit. Which begs the question - why not trade Kesler now while his stock is at its highest when what Chef Boi RD said above regarding Keslers professional short term future as a Canuck is pretty much a guaranteed scenario that will take place

Out
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:The bottom line is this, in two years time Kesler will be a UFA and 31 on the downside of his career. The Sedins wil be 36. Burrows and Bieksa will be 33/34. That era in Canuck hockey? Stick a fork in it, it will be done. Do you think old man American Kesler will want to re-sign here and go through the inevitable growing pains of a rebuild around the new kids on the block - the Horvat crowd? No, he won't. Would not be surprised if he plays out his days back home in Detroit. Which begs the question - why not trade Kesler now while his stock is at its highest when what Chef Boi RD said above regarding Keslers professional short term future as a Canuck is pretty much a guaranteed scenario that will take place

Out
been suggested before...
I wouldn't object depending on who it was coming back...no Barry Pedersons please
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The bottom line is this, in two years time Kesler will be a UFA and 31 on the downside of his career. The Sedins wil be 36. Burrows and Bieksa will be 33/34. That era in Canuck hockey? Stick a fork in it, it will be done. Do you think old man American Kesler will want to re-sign here and go through the inevitable growing pains of a rebuild around the new kids on the block - the Horvat crowd? No, he won't. Would not be surprised if he plays out his days back home in Detroit. Which begs the question - why not trade Kesler now while his stock is at its highest when what Chef Boi RD said above regarding Keslers professional short term future as a Canuck is pretty much a guaranteed scenario that will take place

Out
been suggested before...
oh ok
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

@Blob I think we are mostly on the same page minus the value of Ryan Kesler. I think people sometimes get hung up on the value of prospects. Those guys you mentioned are what teams hope will turn into the Ryan Keslers of the league. We already *have* our Ryan Kesler and he is 29 freaking years old and one of the best two way centers in the league, and you want to want to trade him for Sean freaking Courtier?

I get your point, and I agree that his value is close to as high as it's been, but that's because he's a top 6 center who is 29 and has probably 5 more productive yrs left in him. Whoever wants him is going to have to pay big time, and it's going to take more than a Tarasenko or Courtier in my opinion.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

$lacker wrote: I get your point, and I agree that his value is close to as high as it's been, but that's because he's a top 6 center who is 29 and has probably 5 more productive yrs left in him. Whoever wants him is going to have to pay big time, and it's going to take more than a Tarasenko or Courtier in my opinion.
Bobby Ryan, 26, went for Silverberg, Noesen, and a First.

Given Keslers age, injury history, decline in production etc., I wouldn't expect to get much (if anything) more.

The other comparable would be Jordan Staal, who went for Brandon Sutter and the 8th overall.

The Richards, Carter, Ryan, Staal trades all involve players who were younger than Kesler when they were dealt. I would be shocked to see Kesler get a better package than any of these players.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

$lacker wrote:@Blob I think we are mostly on the same page minus the value of Ryan Kesler. I think people sometimes get hung up on the value of prospects. Those guys you mentioned are what teams hope will turn into the Ryan Keslers of the league. We already *have* our Ryan Kesler and he is 29 freaking years old and one of the best two way centers in the league, and you want to want to trade him for Sean freaking Courtier?

I get your point, and I agree that his value is close to as high as it's been, but that's because he's a top 6 center who is 29 and has probably 5 more productive yrs left in him. Whoever wants him is going to have to pay big time, and it's going to take more than a Tarasenko or Courtier in my opinion.

Uhh I was proposing a pick + prospect added to any of those guys. That is more than fair value for a guy who either won't be playing here beyond this current contract or will be making 8 million a season to play here. Too rich for my blood.