Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Richards, Carter, Ryan, Staal trades all involve players who were younger than Kesler when they were dealt. I would be shocked to see Kesler get a better package than any of these players.
Richards is a comparable....Carter had a lot of question marks when Columbus unloaded him so his value was lower than it was when he was in Philly. Keep in mind he rebounded in LA and found his game again. There's a reason, right or wrong, that Ryan was left off the US team. Staal? His trade value is and was below Kesler's. Staal is a solid 2-way centerman but Kesler is a notch above that in terms of production and is a Selke winner. When he's on & healthy, Kesler can be a game changer in a big way. I'd say his value is on par w/ this group as a whole...traded at the right time to the right team he might actually bring back a better package. Imagine a team that is close but just needs one more top 6 (gee kinda how the Canucks were seen in the summer). Imagine Kesler in Chicago w/ Kane & Sharp! ...or in St. Louis, or Pittsburgh!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

ClamRussel wrote: Imagine Kesler in Chicago w/ Kane & Sharp! ...or in St. Louis, or Pittsburgh!
All good points.

I agree with you on why Kesler's value should be fairly high.

Having said that, I don't think we should move Kesler to a team like Chicago, St. Louis, or Pitsburgh . None of those 3 teams really "need" Kesler (it would be more of a luxury for them to have Kesler rather than an actual burning need) and so the value we'd receive in return wouldn't be as much.

Teams like Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Montreal for instance, might be a better fit..........since these 3 teams are in the Eastern Conference, but may also see themselves as being 1-2 pieces away from being the top team in their Conference.

I like the idea of trading with Toronto. Nonis has always been a guy that has been willing to 'go for it' if the situation presents itself. We saw what he did here in Vancouver when he attempted to trade for Brad Richards.

Kadri and Gardiner's value isn't all that high right now, but they have big upsides. At MINIMUM, I think we could land both those guys. We could probably land either another top prospect OR high draft pick with Kesler as a bargaining chip.

In Kesler's case, he has a history with Mason Raymond and so the leaves may see that as a positive. Kesler is already playing with Phil Kessel on Team USA right now and so that could be a pretty good fit.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I just don't see Gillis trading Kesler to a Western Conference team. He'd rather him in the East and understandably but the only team I see Kesler waiving for in the east is Detroit but that trade scenario doesn't look like a good fit for us. If you can't hit a home run in a Kesler trade why bother
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Kadri and Gardiner for Kesler is a shit deal for us
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote:Kadri and Gardiner for Kesler is a shit deal for us
LOL. You will never get better value than that for Kesler. Kadri had 44 points in 48 games last season. In a "Disappointing" season he has 41 points in 56 games.

You just won't get a young, established player better than him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:I just don't see Gillis trading Kesler to a Western Conference team. He'd rather him in the East and understandably but the only team I see Kesler waiving for in the east is Detroit but that trade scenario doesn't look like a good fit for us. If you can't hit a home run in a Kesler trade why bother

I don't think it makes a difference if Kesler gets dealt in the west. The only time Vancouver would see Chicago or St Louis in the playoffs would be in the conference final.I still St Louis as a real prime landing spot....no idea what BK is on about them not needing him.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Blob Mckenzie wrote:no idea what BK is on about them not needing him.
Obviously, any team would be much improved if they acquired Kesler for the right price. That includes St. Louis.

What I meant to say, was that teams like Chicago, St. Louis, Pitsburgh, etc., aren't going to go out of their way to give an arm and a leg for Kesler since their teams are already bona fide cup contenders.....with or without Kesler.

At best, teams like this will only offer a 'modest' package at best, and would pretty much say, "take it or leave it."

I figured that teams such as Tampa, Montreal, and Toronto would be likelier to "sweeten the pot" for a guy like Kesler since they probably perceive themselves as being 1-2 pieces away from being a legit cup contender......a contender that with Kesler by their side, could defeat any team in the league in a given series.

That was my point.

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Yeah,

Like I said - suggesting trade ideas with specific players isn't really my forte, lol. :oops:

I think the leaves probably would pony up a draft pick or a prospect along with the proposal above to really make the deal fair, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ultimately - I'd just like to see us get a similar deal for what the Flyers got with Mike Richards a few years back.

The Dark Indian Rises
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

St Louis has been knocking at the door for years with little playoff success. They may feel that 17 could push them past Chicago and the Cali teams. They have the young pieces to make a deal . To me they seem like THE most logical landing place for Ryan Kesler. I can't see Gillis dealing with Toronto unless they jump out of their shoes with an offer. Cheesburger Guts shot himself in the foot at the 2013 deadline.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Blob Mckenzie wrote:St Louis has been knocking at the door for years with little playoff success. They may feel that 17 could push them past Chicago and the Cali teams. They have the young pieces to make a deal . To me they seem like THE most logical landing place for Ryan Kesler. I can't see Gillis dealing with Toronto unless they jump out of their shoes with an offer. Cheesburger Guts shot himself in the foot at the 2013 deadline.
Oh definitely. St. Louis, along with other teams, definitely would have an interest in Kesler if he was available. Kesler has an Olympic history with David Backes as well (and now TJ Oshie).

I just don't think they would make us a craaazy offer to us in order to get him (in the manner that perhaps a Toronto/Tampa/Montreal might).

It's like us in 2011. After a few years of having upper echelon teams that were just a cut below the elite, we were the best team in the league that year. Given that we already had a good chance of going all the way with that core at the time, would it have made sense for us to sacrifice the farm in order to pick up an extra piece?

Even if we had acquired that piece and had won the cup, our future would be fucked. Tampa won the cup using that method in 2004 if I recall correctly, and were completely fucked for a number of years after that. I think Carolina was the same way.

The Dark Indian Rises
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Trading Kesler you have to be asking for young current roster player - Tarasenko or Schwartz. A top prospect - Rattie or Allen and a first round pick

I'd ask for Schwartz, Allen and a 1st. Getting Allen makes getting rid of Luongo a little bit easier
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

The Brown Knight wrote:
Yeah,

Like I said - suggesting trade ideas with specific players isn't really my forte, lol. :oops:

I think the leaves probably would pony up a draft pick or a prospect along with the proposal above to really make the deal fair, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ultimately - I'd just like to see us get a similar deal for what the Flyers got with Mike Richards a few years back.
It's funny how you think the Flyers deal was so much better,.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

BigTuna wrote:
LOL. You will never get better value than that for Kesler. Kadri had 44 points in 48 games last season. In a "Disappointing" season he has 41 points in 56 games.

You just won't get a young, established player better than him.
Yeah, I'd do that deal. Kes has peaked and I doubt he'll get much better. Don't really see another 40G/selke type year in him again either and he's best fit as a #2 centre. I think Kadri has the potential to be a #1 centre, moreso than any of our young players and his best years are still ahead of him. He'd be a great guy to have around to take over the reigns from Hank.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Upgrade from Gardiner to Rielly...then it starts to look more even
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »