Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours 2013-14

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:Who's talking about a center?
Giroux is a center, isn't he?

He's listed as one anyway.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Mëds wrote: First off I don't like Giroux. He's too streaky.
Are you being a troll or are you living under a rock?

I'll guess rock

Giroux has 217 pts in past 207 games, an even better scoring pace in the playoffs and is an excellent all round player and is just 25.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat :crazy:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vader wrote:

I'll guess rock

Giroux has 217 pts in past 207 games, an even better scoring pace in the playoffs and is an excellent all round player and is just 25.

Not trolling at all. This year Giroux has 7 assists in 15 games. No goals, hasn't put the puck in the net once. Dale Weise has more goals than him.

Now go back to last season. Giroux is the Flyer's first line center. In 48 games last year he was held off the scoresheet completely 17 times.

He was lights out the year before that, but so far he has been a very streaky scorer since his big year in 2011-12.

I should also qualify my earlier remark....when I say I don't like Giroux, I mean I don't like him if I'm choosing between him and Eberle.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote:This year Giroux has 7 assists in 15 games. No goals, hasn't put the puck in the net once. Dale Weise has more goals than him.

Now go back to last season. Giroux is the Flyer's first line center. In 48 games last year he was held off the scoresheet completely 17 times.

He was lights out the year before that, but so far he has been a very streaky scorer since his big year in 2011-12.

I should also qualify my earlier remark....when I say I don't like Giroux, I mean I don't like him if I'm choosing between him and Eberle.
He's been bad this year, like the entire Flyers team (he's tied for first in points with his 7 assists). That being said, he had a 5-6 week injury in the off-season, which could explain his slow start. I believe he is a superior player to Eberle.

Eberle is a .79 PPG player, while Giroux is .85 PPG (and more than a PPG in the playoffs).

It's all pretty moot, imo, as at this point the chances of the Canucks getting either of these players is about 0%.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Smid to Calgary

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=436181

Edit - don't understand why Oilers who need D trade one for prospects that will probably never make the NHL.
Last edited by 2Fingers on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Mëds wrote:
Vader wrote:

I'll guess rock

Not trolling at all. This year Giroux has 7 assists in 15 games. No goals, hasn't put the puck in the net once. Dale Weise has more goals than him.

Getzlaf was pointless 14 times in 44 games
Hall 15 times in 45 games
Kessel 17 times
Datsyuk 20 times
Kunitz 15 times
Ribeiro 18 times

All these guys scored in the same range as Giroux. Do you not like any of these guys as well?

If you're going to throw out a statistic to support a premise, at least research it first :hmmm:
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Reefer2 wrote:Smid to Calgary

Edit - don't understand why Oilers who need D trade one for prospects that will probably never make the NHL.
I would suggest they are clearing cap space for another move.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Groovypippin wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:Smid to Calgary

I would suggest they are clearing cap space for another move.
"@drosennhl
Oilers trade D Ladislav Smid, G Olivier Roy to Calgary for C Roman Horak, G Laurent Brossoit. Reports surfacing of Oil interest in Bryz."

Yup cap space move I'd guess.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

You know Mëds, that deal is good and we could ask for the Barbie back in the deal to ensure we have a back up this season. But if they are still sold on Duby then I doubt the want an unproven Lack.

Edler is a top 4 defender under contract for five more years. He has a ton of trade value. The problem is his NTC. We of course would then need a defence-man who could effectively fill Edler's minutes and production.

If we keep playing the way we are the urgency to trade stays at bay. That I suppose is the perfect world while we let the young ones develop one more year.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:You know Mëds, that deal is good and we could ask for the Barbie back in the deal to ensure we have a back up this season. But if they are still sold on Duby then I doubt the want an unproven Lack.

Edler is a top 4 defender under contract for five more years. He has a ton of trade value. The problem is his NTC. We of course would then need a defence-man who could effectively fill Edler's minutes and production.

If we keep playing the way we are the urgency to trade stays at bay. That I suppose is the perfect world while we let the young ones develop one more year.
Agree with all you say there.

Hence why I said IF Gillis could move Booth and something for a defensman.

I don't think Eberle fetches the Oilers a combo of starting goalie and top 4 dman. It will be one or the other with a prospect in the position that doesn't comeback ready to play big minutes. If they sign Bryz they will still need a top 3-4 dman and would still want a good goaltending prospect for the future.

Not saying this happens, just saying is all....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vader wrote: Getzlaf was pointless 14 times in 44 games
Hall 15 times in 45 games
Kessel 17 times
Datsyuk 20 times
Kunitz 15 times
Ribeiro 18 times

All these guys scored in the same range as Giroux. Do you not like any of these guys as well?

If you're going to throw out a statistic to support a premise, at least research it first :hmmm:
I don't like Ribeiro. Wouldn't want him on my team at all for any money.

Kunitz is nothing without Crosby. He's a second line winger at best if not playing with one of the top 5 centers in the league.

Datsyuk surprised me on that list. But he is so good defensively that you can overlook a poor season. His 18 points in 17 games make for a nice bounce back don't ya think?

Not a fan of Kessel. He's a good goal scorer, but yes, I do think he's a bit streaky at times. Everyone slumps, but he seems to hit dry spells a bit too often for a guy who is getting $8M.

Getzlaf is an enigma for me. At times I think he's overrated, and other times in think he's truly underrated. But I do think that Getzlaf is another guy who puts up his points in bunches at times.

I've said the same about the Sedins in the past too.

Regardless, all of those guys, well not Ribeiro, are having bounce back years so far.

Giroux is on a shit team right now, but on paper that team isn't as shitty as they are on the ice.....just look st their roster. I didn't expect the Flyers to be world beaters this year, but did anyone think they would be in the cellar with a 4-10-1 record and a -20 goal differential? I'm not hanging this all on Giroux, but he's got the worst plus/minus on the team, and is scoring at almost a 3rd line pace. He's not leading his team, Lecavalier has the same number of points while playing 4 fewer games.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

"The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see "
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Mëds wrote:
Verbal diarrhea

Regardless, all of those guys, well not Ribeiro, are having bounce back years so far.

More verbal diarrhea
Umm Mëds...all those guys were top 15 in the NHL in scoring last year....and they were all having off years?

I know this site's been looking for a clown since RD took a few days off but really...
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Love Giroux's game, loath his new contract.

No one will earn more than D&H.

Eberle could be the elixir, Gillis and MacT...former associates.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

BladesofSteel wrote:Love Giroux's game, loath his new contract.

No one will earn more than D&H.

Eberle could be the elixir, Gillis and MacT...former associates.
Giroux's cap hit is $1.3M more than the Sedin's and that takes him to age 34 - or the age the Sedin's $7M yr deal kicks in - a deal which is generally considered a home town discount. What's the cap going to be in 2022?

$8.3M is right in line with other marquee franchise players who have recently signed (yes Mëds, he's a franchise player)