Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28207
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Strangelove »

BTW i have been suggesting your Vancouver Canucks use a regular buyout on Booth.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculato ... uyout_d=15

$1,083,333 cap-hit in 2014-15.

$1,583,333 cap-hit in 2015-16.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by The_Pauser »

Strangelove wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:do you really think the Aquilinis will spend $25M to buyout Luongo? Maybe you are some crazy billionaire, but I can tell you the Aquilinis will not buy him out. The whole notion of it is completely idiotic.
You define idiocy. :D

All you deserve at this point is Drunken Strangelove:

viewtopic.php?p=187025#p187025
Strangelove wrote: I also can't fathom why Canuck Nation runs with a ridiculous rumour like "Aquaman can't afford to buyout Lou!"

:lol:

Obviously he CAN, obviously $22m ($1.4m X 16 years) is just a drop in the bucket to this guy!

Good Gawd, reports surface that the value of the Canucks went from $342 to $700m

... in ONE year

... and it's just shrugged off.

And any talk of revenue likely generated is met with a bunch of... :look: s.

No one ever puts two and two together.

Ummmmmmmm..... FOUR! :twisted:

No, GAWD NO, let's just run with a rumour a local hack pulled out of his ASS.

Yup yup, we'll run with "Aquaman can't afford to buyout Lou!"

Tampa can afford to buyout Lecavalier, Islanders can afford to buyout DiPietro

... but your Vancouver Canucks cannot afford to buyout Luongo! :shock:

Seriously, I see this all over the interwebs.

Some guy suggests the Canucks buyout Luongo.

A gazillion guys jump all over him with "Haven't you heard?? Aquaman can't afford to buyout Luongo!"

:roll:

Sigh, Common Sense has been sacrificed at the alter of Trending Right Now.

And never mind the fact that getting rid of the future Recapture Penalty EQUALS MORE CAP SPACE!

EQUALS A BETTER TEAM IN THE FUTURE!!

EQUALS MORE PROFITS AND A HIGHER FRANCHISE VALUE!!!
I agree with Drunken Strangelove:

A Luongo compliance buyout this summer makes great long-term business sense.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculato ... uyout_d=15

$1,410,667 per year for 16 years (with ZERO cap-hit) = $22,570,672.

As Blob said, "chump change".

.
That's stupid. A Luongo compliance buyout this summer makes zero hockey sense. You do not CBO a productive top 10 goalie with an average cap hit. He's playing very well right now, and one of the reasons why we're even in a playoff spot at the moment.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote: A Luongo compliance buyout this summer makes great long-term business sense.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculato ... uyout_d=15

$1,410,667 per year for 16 years (with ZERO cap-hit) = $22,570,672.

As Blob said, "chump change".

.
I totally agree the Canucks can afford the buyout,and maybe should use the CBO on Luongo but how well do you know these Aquilini's? I mean, they won't even put working brakes on a van to transport workers to a blueberry field!

http://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/168837786.html

Buying out Luongo just doesn't sound like something the Aquilini's would do....
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19510
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Chef Boi RD »

OK, so we buyout Luongo. We are then left with an Eddie 'Devan Dubnyk' Lack class of goaltending putting us in that shitty situation of trying to find that quality starting goaltender on the market, a market completely void of a decent product, see Edmonton, Philadelphia I'm sorry but I haven't forgotten the terrible Potvin/Cloutier years of Shite goaltending enough to entertain the idea if buying Luongo out.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19510
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:We have to part with something we don't want to part with like Horvat in order to get Kane. Gillis isn't ballsy enough to do that. The garbage packages being dreamed up here are entertaining to say the least
What makes Horvat so great exactly? lol he's done jack shit in the AHL/NHL yet, they'd want someone with some experience who can help out sooner rather than 3 years from now.
just razzin' ya.
Skyo get off the canned heat, you're hallucinating if you think we have the parts to pique the interest of Jets management. Horvat plus a quality young player who can play now is what it's gonna take for the Jets to consider

Think Horvat or Kassian plus Tanev and our 2014 1st round pick. Gillis won't do that
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20617
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

RoyalDude wrote:OK, so we buyout Luongo. We are then left with an Eddie 'Devan Dubnyk' Lack class of goaltending putting us in that shitty situation of trying to find that quality starting goaltender on the market, a market completely void of a decent product, see Edmonton, Philadelphia I'm sorry but I haven't forgotten the terrible Potvin/Cloutier years of Shite goaltending enough to entertain the idea if buying Luongo out.

Please educate yourself on the CBA clause which penalizes teams for players retiring early on backdiving contracts. The cap penalties could be very substantial. Also consider the fact RL doesn't want to play here long term.

As for a dearth of goaltending..... really ? The Ducks and Kings have three each who could play in the league.

What the fuck is the big idea comparing Lack to Dubnyk anyways ? Other than size I don't see any similarities. Lack is far quicker and has far superior lateral movement. Dubnyk isn't as bad as the Coiler faithful make him out to be but he is the next Alex Bauld/ career backup. I see a starter in Lack .
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 19510
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blobby IPA, if there is such a glut of available goaltending on the market why is there such a glut of teams with Shite quality goaltending? I like having top quality goaltending , I don't want to be on the lower end of the scale with the rest of the have nots, the Potvin/Cloutier years were painful

Lets not be calling Lack a stud after just a handful of games in the NHL, hello Jim Carey. I see flaws in his game
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by mathonwy »

This is a very obtuse argument.

Pauser is right. Why the hell would the Aquilinis CPO Canada's Olympic team starting goaltender?

Because Luo said that he doesn't want to play here? Who cares what happened in the past. All that matters is his play and this past season, Luo has been absolutely rock solid and this is a fact and not a fan bias. There was absolutely no goaltending controversy with slot 1 and slot 2 of Team Canada's Olympic team by any of the media and no talk about Luo not deserving it. Luo's trade value right now is through the roof due to his play and his contract is no longer an issue due to the massive Rogers TV deal.

To avoid cap-recapture penalities? Before being a GM, Mike Gillis was a lawyer. I have faith that Mike Gillis will lawyer the fuck out of the NHL before paying any penalty of any sort.

Whether the Aquilinis can afford it or not is a stupid point that detracts from the real question. Why do you want Luongo, the Canucks best goaltender in franchise history who has been an integral role player of two President trophy winning seasons gone so badly? Goaltenders with the type of experience that Luo has don't grow on trees and Luo is who I want in net during the playoffs. Not Eddy Lack (for now)
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by dhabums »

mathonwy wrote:To avoid cap-recapture penalities? Before being a GM, Mike Gillis was a lawyer. I have faith that Mike Gillis will lawyer the fuck out of the NHL before paying any penalty of any sort.
I know a lot of lawyers. Too many tbh, they make up a pretty big part of my circle of drunk, coke heads. Mike Gillis has a law degree. He spent years representing players as an agent. He isn't a lawyer capable of dealing with anything you are suggesting.

I am not sure what would make you think otherwise. BTW, Gillis will be long gone for the recapture penalty even applies. Not that is matters.

Should have taken the Leaves offer last year, kept CS and rolled the dice. Still would have had to deal with the recapture at some point but not all of it and would have had a younger goalie.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12073
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by SKYO »

dhabums wrote: Should have taken the Leaves offer last year, kept CS and rolled the dice.

Still would have had to deal with the recapture at some point but not all of it and would have had a younger goalie.
Curse that Brian Burke rule! :evil:

Yeah I doubt MG will be dealing with Calgary for Cammy anytime soon haha.

I can see Lu here another season and then be dealt to Florida, especially when the Panthers got the green light to spend closer to the cap ceiling now http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/ ... -78859824/, could even be done this offseason! as Thomas will probably bolt and Markstrom being somewhat of a bust.

And what better way to start fill those seats at BB&T Center by bringing the mighty Luongo back to his "hometown"?
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by $lacker »

Not a chance Luongo gets bought out, would be an incredibly stupid move. Losing an asset like Luongo for nothing because you are worried about 5 years down the road? A penalty that, by the way, would be 3.5 million a yr for three seasons using that 5 yr retirement plan - a small penalty to pay in a cap world that will likely be in the 80-90.million for 5 more years of world class goaltending.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by dhabums »

SKYO wrote:
dhabums wrote: Should have taken the Leaves offer last year, kept CS and rolled the dice.

Still would have had to deal with the recapture at some point but not all of it and would have had a younger goalie.
Curse that Brian Burke rule! :evil:

Yeah I doubt MG will be dealing with Calgary for Cammy anytime soon haha.

I can see Lu here another season and then be dealt to Florida, especially when the Panthers got the green light to spend closer to the cap ceiling now http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/ ... -78859824/, could even be done this offseason! as Thomas will probably bolt and Markstrom being somewhat of a bust.

And what better way to start fill those seats at BB&T Center by bringing the mighty Luongo back to his "hometown"?
It's still 4 seasons before Lu's cap hit is more than his salary. Not sure if FLA is in a big rush to take on big $$$.

That said, the Panthers may need to find away to spend to the floor next year.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by mathonwy »

dhabums wrote:
mathonwy wrote:To avoid cap-recapture penalities? Before being a GM, Mike Gillis was a lawyer. I have faith that Mike Gillis will lawyer the fuck out of the NHL before paying any penalty of any sort.
I know a lot of lawyers. Too many tbh, they make up a pretty big part of my circle of drunk, coke heads. Mike Gillis has a law degree. He spent years representing players as an agent. He isn't a lawyer capable of dealing with anything you are suggesting.

I am not sure what would make you think otherwise. BTW, Gillis will be long gone for the recapture penalty even applies. Not that is matters.

Should have taken the Leaves offer last year, kept CS and rolled the dice. Still would have had to deal with the recapture at some point but not all of it and would have had a younger goalie.
Yay for drunk coke heads.

Point taken and retracted.

You make it sound like Luo is untradeable right now and nothing could be further than the truth.

Let's be glad we didn't take the Leaves offer last year because Luo has been our MVP this season.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12073
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by SKYO »

dhabums wrote:It's still 4 seasons before Lu's cap hit is more than his salary. Not sure if FLA is in a big rush to take on big $$$.

That said, the Panthers may need to find away to spend to the floor next year.
Sounds like they will be looking to solidify their goaltending this offseason if Thomas doesn't stay, and they will be spending close to the cap ceiling not floor for the 2014/15 season, as the owners attempt to break even while stop the bleeding of dollars per season.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16138
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow »

There was a partial grandfathering. If a player like Luongo had been traded before the new CBA, then the team trading him would have been exempt from any future cap recapture. Me thinks Burke new this which is why I believe he was using the threat of the new CBA to try and leverage a better deal before the lockout. The rumours I heard then included threats he had made to MG that any deals for Luongo would be harder to do and more risky for the Canucks after the new CBA. MG I guess called his bluff and he may have lost that gamble moving forward 6-7 years into the future. I believe Luongo will play at least 6-7 years more. If he retires I think he will only walk away from the last year.

But let's remember the optics too. Very very few people would have been happy had MG pulled a deal that was being rumoured at the time. But since none of us know what was really offered it is all speculation.

I think he has re-settled here in Vancouver but I have no idea how his family life is going. I read not long ago that his wife and kids had joined him here in Vancouver. Moving forward who knows what he will want. I can speculate that a lot of what he wants will depend upon how he feels the team is with regards to being a legitimate contender and if there is renewed interest from a Florida based team. So hard to predict.

I find it hard to contemplate that we would buy him out but I do understand the reasoning behind why some think it is the right thing to do. It makes sense on many levels. But I just don't think the water boy would do it nor do I think it is in the teams best interest now or for the next several years. Maybe it bites us 6-7 years from now but I may be dead by then!!
The only HW the Canucks need
Locked