Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2013-14

Post by Hockey Widow »

I loved the Booth trade at the time. It cost us nothing of importance, other than valuable cap space this season. I'll admit he sucks balls and I no longer feel he will turn it around as a Canuck. Does not negate the fact that it was a good trade, just one that turned out horribly wrong for us. It also does not define MG.

I haven't read anyone blindly agreeing with everything MG has done. Only a few crucifying him for a few bad deals while failing to acknowledge the good he has done. I get it, it's all or nothing. Show me, now or historically, any GM that has always gotten it right. They don't exist.

MG gets, from me anyway, the rest of this year and next to make the significant improvements to the FEW areas of the game we need. If he fails to get those pieces or have the young kids in the line up that can begin to fill those positions then I will sign the fire Gillis petition.
The only HW the Canucks need
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

dhabums wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: No, actually trading Schneider for a solid asset while keeping Luongo (who's been better than Schneider) was the right move.
We should have traded him for Bjugstad and a 1st, amirite? Or maybe a bevy of other young stars and picks. I guess we could have taken the 2 picks from TO.

You amuse me, sometimes it's all about the right now then other times it's about the future.
I was all for rebuilding, but we then re-signed the Sedins long-term to what will amount to be an albatross. It makes zero sense whatsoever to do that while buying out our franchise goalie. It's beyond idiotic. If we're going to rebuild then we shouldn't have re-signed the Sedins.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

The_Pauser wrote:
dhabums wrote:
The_Pauser wrote: No, actually trading Schneider for a solid asset while keeping Luongo (who's been better than Schneider) was the right move.
We should have traded him for Bjugstad and a 1st, amirite? Or maybe a bevy of other young stars and picks. I guess we could have taken the 2 picks from TO.

You amuse me, sometimes it's all about the right now then other times it's about the future.
I was all for rebuilding, but we then re-signed the Sedins long-term to what will amount to be an albatross. It makes zero sense whatsoever to do that while buying out our franchise goalie. It's beyond idiotic. If we're going to rebuild then we shouldn't have re-signed the Sedins.
I get it, we should let the Sedins walk with no replacement but we shouldn't let Lu walk with a perfect replacement. It makes sense. If I recall correctly, you would have let them go LAST time they were UFA.

I'll repeat my earlier sentiment: you should be getting paid to waste so much of your life posting about Luongo. His agent, friends and family don't care as much as you do. It's weird and sad.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

HW how the fuck is the booth trade still a good trade for us? Fucking hell. Florida had a few months obligation to Sturm and Samuelssons contracts and then no more, Booth still has two more fucking years at 4.5 millions left on his. Most people would call that a very bad investment. The only thing that may save Gillis lard ass bacon on that trade is Cole Cassels, but that is a long shot
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:HW how the fuck is the booth trade still a good trade for us? Fucking hell. Florida had a few months obligation to Sturm and Samuelssons contracts and then no more, Booth still has two more fucking years at 4.5 millions left on his. Most people would call that a very bad investment. The only thing that may save Gillis lard ass bacon on that trade is Cole Cassels, but that is a long shot

Reading... harder when high on crack.
Hockey Widow wrote:I loved the Booth trade at the time. It cost us nothing of importance, other than valuable cap space this season. I'll admit he sucks balls and I no longer feel he will turn it around as a Canuck. Does not negate the fact that it was a good trade, just one that turned out horribly wrong for us. It also does not define MG.
Booth trade was a good one AT THE TIME... wasn't it?
RoyalDude » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:44 pm wrote:I love this trade, I see Booth as maybe doing what Patrick Sharp did for Chicago when the Flyers gave up on him and being that guy for us. The guy has a real nose for the net and may excel in a hotbed hockey environment, playing on good hockey team.
NOPE. You, like most of us, were wrong. He has been garbage, and he is 99.9% guaranteed to be bought out this summer. Either way, no point using up Costco-sized bulk diapers on it... trade didn't work, Booth sucks, team is still competitive, cap space next year = yay. Gillis shouldn't be afraid to trade dead weight for potential reward. Even today, that trade was dead weight talent for a dead weight cap hit.
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

Wish we had traded Schneids to WPG for Kane and a pick, despite Horvat being a really solid player.
22-33-17
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RyanGinger wrote:Wish we had traded Schneids to WPG for Kane and a pick, despite Horvat being a really solid player.
LOL we get Kane AND a pick?!? Does the name "Ondrej Pavelec", aged 26, mean anything to you? The Jets might have wanted Schneider, he's an upgrade on Pavelec... but if you think they'd trade Kane for him you're on all kinds of bath salts.

Goalies aren't worth franchise forwards. They ARE worth draft picks... we'll see if Horvat becomes one. Ultimately, Gillis turned a 26th overall pick (4th goalie taken after Montoya, Dubnyk, and Schwarz) , and a cautious development, into a top-10 pick. We'll see if Horvat becomes a core player...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If there is a sniff of a chance of landing Kane then there isn't really any one player I wouldn't consider moving to get him except possibly Kesler.
Is there any actual fact behind all this? I scanned the thread but on a bumpy oil lease road in a bus makes it a little tough to go through the whole thing...
If you need air...call it in
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Is there any actual fact behind all this? I scanned the thread but on a bumpy oil lease road in a bus makes it a little tough to go through the whole thing...
HW posted some rumblings about Gillis being interested in Kane and more recently there have been some twitter rumours. The Twitter rumours are just two guys talking about one of them hearing about an offer... if HW hadn't said something along the same lines I would probably give the twitter rumours very little credibility at all.
RyanGinger
CC Veteran

Post by RyanGinger »

RoyalDude wrote:Why do you love eye bags Gillis?
Loool
22-33-17
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We have to part with something we don't want to part with like Horvat in order to get Kane. Gillis isn't ballsy enough to do that. The garbage packages being dreamed up here are entertaining to say the least
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:We have to part with something we don't want to part with like Horvat in order to get Kane. Gillis isn't ballsy enough to do that. The garbage packages being dreamed up here are entertaining to say the least
What makes Horvat so great exactly? lol he's done jack shit in the AHL/NHL yet, they'd want someone with some experience who can help out sooner rather than 3 years from now.
just razzin' ya.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:I see a ton of sadness around here regarding the realization that Booth is not just another player destroyed by AV but in fact he really does suck! Blobby is still in denial as he is valiantly trying to shift focus from Booth to buying out Luongo and blaming Burke. LOL. Cheers Blobby Beers, why is it so hard for you to accept gillis' fuck ups? Why do you love eye bags Gillis?
What are you even blabbering about ? Try to keep up ffs. I realize Paused has FAS and can't fucking read but what is your excuse ? Booth has this year and next and he is off the books. I don't like the guy but it isn't like the team gave up any assets to get him other than cap space. Luongo has eight more years after this one and with THE NEW RULES IN THE CBA REGARDING BACK DIVING CONTRACTS AND CAP RECAPTURE PENALTIES HE COULD BE HARD TO MOVE. BRIAN BURKE CUDDLED UP TO BETTMAN AND GOT THOSE RULES IMPLEMENTED INTO THE CBA. The contracts that were signed pre CBA should have been grandfathered in.

I think Luongo is playing ok. If there weren't all the future implications on the teams payroll he would be easier to move. He doesn't want to play here long term so it would make sense for both parties to explore the possibility of buying out his contract . Someone else calculated what the Canucks would be paying on their cap if/when he retires early and it isn't fucking pretty. Buying Roberto out at around 1.5- 1.75 million per for 16 years seems a lot smarter as there is no cap hit with the compliance buyout.

As for the rest of your post its a mess and a red herring- kind of like Paused you re-direct the debate when you are getting owned. He started yammering about the twins when they weren't even part of the discussion.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The_Pauser wrote:do you really think the Aquilinis will spend $25M to buyout Luongo? Maybe you are some crazy billionaire, but I can tell you the Aquilinis will not buy him out. The whole notion of it is completely idiotic.
You define idiocy. :D

All you deserve at this point is Drunken Strangelove:

viewtopic.php?p=187025#p187025
Strangelove wrote: I also can't fathom why Canuck Nation runs with a ridiculous rumour like "Aquaman can't afford to buyout Lou!"

:lol:

Obviously he CAN, obviously $22m ($1.4m X 16 years) is just a drop in the bucket to this guy!

Good Gawd, reports surface that the value of the Canucks went from $342 to $700m

... in ONE year

... and it's just shrugged off.

And any talk of revenue likely generated is met with a bunch of... :look: s.

No one ever puts two and two together.

Ummmmmmmm..... FOUR! :twisted:

No, GAWD NO, let's just run with a rumour a local hack pulled out of his ASS.

Yup yup, we'll run with "Aquaman can't afford to buyout Lou!"

Tampa can afford to buyout Lecavalier, Islanders can afford to buyout DiPietro

... but your Vancouver Canucks cannot afford to buyout Luongo! :shock:

Seriously, I see this all over the interwebs.

Some guy suggests the Canucks buyout Luongo.

A gazillion guys jump all over him with "Haven't you heard?? Aquaman can't afford to buyout Luongo!"

:roll:

Sigh, Common Sense has been sacrificed at the alter of Trending Right Now.

And never mind the fact that getting rid of the future Recapture Penalty EQUALS MORE CAP SPACE!

EQUALS A BETTER TEAM IN THE FUTURE!!

EQUALS MORE PROFITS AND A HIGHER FRANCHISE VALUE!!!
I agree with Drunken Strangelove:

A Luongo compliance buyout this summer makes great long-term business sense.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calculato ... uyout_d=15

$1,410,667 per year for 16 years (with ZERO cap-hit) = $22,570,672.

As Blob said, "chump change".

Last edited by Strangelove on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: Almost no chance Luongo gets bought out, get serious. That option ended when Schneider was dealt. If Aqua wouldn't shell out last year do you really think he will a year later and w/ Cory gone to boot?
Perhaps MG/you-know-wots wanted to squeeze one more year out of Luongo before using the last compliance buyout.

And wanted one more year to see what they have in Lack as an NHLer.

A compliance buyout is the only way to escape the inevitable cap-recapture penalties.

I keep saying that all this "Aquaman won't shell-out" is crap that was swallowed by Canuck Nation at large.

Hell I've actually proven in this very forum... with no worthy rebuttal.

Is it time to revisit exactly how this bogus rumour was started by a local hack?
____
Try to focus on someday.